Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:22 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times

Advertisements

Hey, I have an opportunity from my company to temporarily live and work in Texas for 3 months in April at either our Houston or Austin branch and I definitely want to take this opportunity since I've never really lived in the South. I know Austin somewhat well, but I've spent very little time in Houston.

This is just a temporary move, I'm not at all concerned about things like economic power, wealth, global influence, education, etc. I'm basically interested in knowing which will be more enjoyable for an outgoing 30 year old such as myself, and most importantly, which will give me the most unique and memorable experience. I'm very social, I like spending time outdoors, and I like experiencing new things. I know Austin is well known for being a very lively and fun city, but at the same time, Houston is a very big and diverse city and I'm sure it has much more depth than its conservative and business-oriented reputation would suggest.

So for people who know both cities quite well, which city do you think would give me the most fun and unique experience?
Which will have the most comfortable weather during April, May, and June?
Which is better located for weekend or day trips?

Thank you for any input. I'm looking forward to being a Texan for a couple months!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 01:31 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,310 times
If you must come to Texas (and I feel sorry for you), Austin is infinitely better. Houston's a huge nasty humid slum.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:16 PM

157 posts, read 165,563 times
Of course Austin, baby!

Old 03-06-2012, 03:21 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Ignore Sunderpig, always negative and unhappy, misery wants company.
Anyway, if you were 20 I would say Austin no question, but since you are 30 I would say either.... just make sure you stay in the fun areas, you'll probably be bored in the suburbs. Not sure what part of the towns your work is located.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:13 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,552 times
Large diverse city with lots of opportunities = Houston.
Mid-size city/College Town = Austin.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Really? Well, where is the office located in each place? Or will you have to drive around? Are each equal opportunities? You'd probably be happier living central for that short time, either place. Do a reverse commute if need be.

Oh, and I second what the others said about Sunderpig. We're not supposed to say certain things about others here, but know that some are not here to help but only to complain and stir the pot, unfortunately.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:28 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Really? Well, where is the office located in each place? Or will you have to drive around? Are each equal opportunities? You'd probably be happier living central for that short time, either place. Do a reverse commute if need be.

Oh, and I second what the others said about Sunderpig. We're not supposed to say certain things about others here, but know that some are not here to help but only to complain and stir the pot, unfortunately.
In both Austin and Houston, my office is located Downtown. In terms of opportunities, they're both equal as I'd continue receiving my current salary and my company would cover housing costs for the 3 months I'd be in Texas. I kind of know neighborhoods in Austin that be good for those 3 months, but what about Houston? Are there many people living in Downtown Houston, or are people in their late 20s/early 30s elsewhere in surrounding neighborhoods?

And yea, I'm not going to take Sunderpig's response seriously.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp1188 View Post
In both Austin and Houston, my office is located Downtown. In terms of opportunities, they're both equal as I'd continue receiving my current salary and my company would cover housing costs for the 3 months I'd be in Texas. I kind of know where to live in Austin, but what about Houston? Are there many people living in Downtown Houston, or are people in their late 20s/early 30s elsewhere in surrounding neighborhoods?
In Houston, it's Montrose, Midtown, maybe the Heights. Not so much in downtown, but near it.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Dont waste your career time going to Austin. Houston is a major global city ....austin is s nice weird town and meets the residents goals as such. If you want to learn about global business go to Houston if you want to party on 6th street for three months Austin is for you.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:01 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Full disclosure: I'm definitely biased towards Austin, because I personally like it very much.

However, what others have said about Houston and Dallas being more global cities, and better for business opportunities is true.

But if it were me, I'd consider this -

1) It's tough to find a job in Austin; the job market is super competitive and people are willing to work for less because they want to live in Austin.

2) It's gotten very difficult to find housing in Austin. Apartments are scarce, it's very expensive (for Texas anyway), and again it's a big competition to prove you are a good renter here (requirements are tough). This is especially true anywhere central.

So if I had an employer actually willing to provide both 1&2 for me? Sure, I'd take Austin. But if you decide on Houston or Dallas, you should at least try asking for some more money from your employer to do so. Couldn't hurt, and you might be surprised what you can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas