Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 AM

6 posts, read 31,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I subscribe to the Alpine Avalanche just for the heck of it....and there was a short blurb in the Letters section:

[URL="http://www.alpineavalanche.com/opinion/article_9dff7fcc-6933-11e1-971d-001871e3ce6c.html"]Letter to the Editor: Food Bank thanks attendees, underwriters - Alpine Avalanche: Opinion[/URL]

"....That night the crowd learned the startling fact that Presidio County ranks in the top five hungriest counties in Texas, which is the second hungriest state in the nation. They were also told that almost 45 percent of the children in Presidio County would go to bed categorized as food insecure — meaning they do not have access to regular, healthy meals to lead a productive life."

Not surprising, and also depressing!!

Actually, that's not so true. I dont know which families are going hungry but they shouldn't. Presidio is just like any other small town in texas. There is food for everyone and enough to go around. People who are going hungry is because they are being too lazy to get up and cook. It is TRUE that there are no "fast food restaurants" besides Subway to go to for a fast meal, but there are a few restaurants. The majority of people only eat out on Sundays after church or during the week just to get together with friends or co-workers and chat. This town is not DYING of HUNGER, that is so exaggerating! I lived in Presidio for almost 20 years and my friends and family, we have always had 3 meals a day and always had a full fridge and a full food pantry. Whoever is struggling would have to have come from Mexico trying to apply for Foodstamps and dont qualify(which gets in my nerves because they dont even pay taxes but yet they think they can come across and ask for these things). Thats a diffrent story though. I just wanted to point out that Presidio isn't like a village in Kenya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:50 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McCoy View Post
What would it be like? In one word, HOT.

And don't go there unless you speak Spanish--which you should in any part of Texas. Texas is more correctly termed occupied Mexico. Always has been since it was stolen from Mexico.
Which of course, was stolen from native Indians. And was only a ten year old country when the Texians claimed independence and, by usual methods of the day, supported that claim though force... and mercy upon Santa Anna.
Quote:
PRESIDIO, TX | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

Presidio is on the Rio Grande, Farm Road 170, and State Highway 67 eighteen miles south of Shafter in southern Presidio County. The surrounding area is the oldest continuously cultivated area in the United States. Farmers have lived at Presidio since 1500 B.C. By 1400 A.D. the area Indians lived in small, close-together settlements, which the Spaniards later called pueblos.
And yeah, during the summer Presidio is usually the hottest place in Texas.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
It has a pretty small population so it will be like most small towns in its limitations. You can view the detailed demographics of the community here, [URL]//www.city-data.com/city/Presidio-Texas.html[/URL] including cost of living, poverty rate, race, housing costs, rent costs. There is a chart here showing number of men and women in each age group. There appear to be more women then men most all adult age groups. [URL]//www.city-data.com/housing/houses-Presidio-Texas.html[/URL]

I have seen some other threads here talking about Manuel Ojinaga being a pretty decent border down.

The reason for more women living in this town is because most of their husbands go out of town to work. Women will stay in Presidio to be close to their parents who are old and they rather stay close to them and take care of them. Also, Women decide to stay in Presidio because it is a safer place and more peaceful community to have their children grow up.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtymes70 View Post
living in Presidio would be a unique experience. Almost nobody lives there, your in a desert mountain region in the middle of nowhere on the border with Mexico. There is nothing to do there, if you like roaming around Big Bend State Park then that is about it, to get food, gas and other services you must drive to Alpine, TX and that maybe a 2 hour drive, and that is a small town. (there is gas in Presidio but it's rationed). Living in Presidio is perfect for people that want complete isolation. I went there 1 time, by accident while fooling around at Big Bend State Park. There isn't much there, I am very surprised the small population there stays.
There are 3 gas stations in Presidio. Tom's Service is my husband's family business (been around for years before you and i could walk) and they offer gas and diesel. They also offer services for flat tires , inspection stickers, mechanical work and detail car wash. There are other places that offer gas or auto services but this would be the only place to offer and All-In-One. As for food, there are restaurants in the area and a Subway. There is a grocery store big enough for the community and you can even cross the border in 5 minutes and go grocery shopping there. Check the customs border for what you can or can't cross. Everything you need is there. Family Dollar, General Dollar, Hardware Stores, Lumber yard, clothing stores for women and men, an Alco, boutiques, hair salons by appointments, and much more. Its all about touring the town and getting to know people. Theres even a bakery store (Jose's panaderia) and they offer sweet mexican bread freshly made every day and fresh food on weekends (dont know about weekdays) such as Asado, Menudo, Barbacoa, and etc.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
Sorry, but I'm going to have to call you out on this....not true.
They don't ration gas, been there probably a dozen times, filled gas every time without any problems. This is a town of of 4,000 people and while it may be far from everywhere else, it still functions as a normal town. They have a grocery store filled with all the basic stuff, been in it several times.
Now with all that being said, it would not be a place that I would live. Anything beyond the normal staples is a long drive to Alpine. It is a poor town and it shows in the housing, and yes there probably isn't much to do. On several occasions I have encountered a lovely sheet of smog overhanging the presidio-ojinaga area. Not sure if it was pollution from Ojinaga, or if it was smoke from agricultural fires settling in the valley. Ojinaga was a good town, but it has also had it's share of border violence, but I couldn't say for certain because that is just what I picked up from talking with several locals in the area a year or two ago....

Oh, one more thing....if you do get a chance to go down there, take a drive on the road between Presidio and Lajitas....one of the best drives in Texas.

that smog you saw, thats the dirt lifted from vehicles in Oj (Mexico) driving throughout the whole day on dirt roads. The majority of roads in Oj are not paved due to the poor community. Presidio is the same. There are dirt roads that people drive through every day to get home for lunch or from and to work. The city of Presidio is working on paving as many roads as they can, but are getting to the main ones first. So basically, that "smog" is dirt. So yeah, if you are allergic to dust or have any allergy symptoms from dust and the particles that might be in the air because of it, maybe this wouldnt be a place to live . I agree with you..i love to drive from Presidio to Lajitas. On the way, i like to stop in several locations just to admire scenery and nature (Tapado Canyon is a good one once you walk to the river). As long as you go on a full tank, anyone will be good getting to lajitas and gas up there.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjake View Post
So for a black guy coming from Chicago this would be a huge transition to make ?
hahah yes! but it never hurts to experience something new. You never know, you might like the peacefullness here away from trying to sleep while cars are always passing by or not feeling safe when all you want to do is go for a jog in the evening. If you don't like it, then dont have regrets! Life is meant to be lived and along the way, sometimes there are things we need to get our curiousity out of the way. Sometimes what could've been is exactly what you wanted in sometimes its not, but only one way to find out right?

Old 04-17-2012, 04:51 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaylaC View Post
Actually, that's not so true. I dont know which families are going hungry but they shouldn't. Presidio is just like any other small town in texas. There is food for everyone and enough to go around. People who are going hungry is because they are being too lazy to get up and cook. It is TRUE that there are no "fast food restaurants" besides Subway to go to for a fast meal, but there are a few restaurants. The majority of people only eat out on Sundays after church or during the week just to get together with friends or co-workers and chat. This town is not DYING of HUNGER, that is so exaggerating! I lived in Presidio for almost 20 years and my friends and family, we have always had 3 meals a day and always had a full fridge and a full food pantry. Whoever is struggling would have to have come from Mexico trying to apply for Foodstamps and dont qualify(which gets in my nerves because they dont even pay taxes but yet they think they can come across and ask for these things). Thats a diffrent story though. I just wanted to point out that Presidio isn't like a village in Kenya.
LOL!! Well, you have to consider that the article referred to Presidio COUNTY, which includes Presidio, Marfa and a few very tiny isolated villages, too, so....

Old 04-19-2012, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,664 times
Listen, Presidio is like any other small town in the US. Anyone that has "driven through it" CANNOT really tell you how life is or how they can actually feel about being part of a great town, unless they were actually raised here. I have lived here all my life and have grown up, become successful, and have made a good living for myself. This should say a lot about someone that came from a town that's for people that want to be isolated.

We do not ration gas like the person above said. We have 2 actual EXXON gas stations that are fully equipped with Diesel, Premium, Unleaded, and Regular fuel necessities. We have a Texaco that you can pump your own fuel, or someone will come out and do it for you.

We have a variety of chain stores like, Family Dollar, Dollar General, Payless Shoes, Ueta Liquor Store, Alco, Autozone, Porters Thriftway, Radio Shack, Harper Hardware and our recent new addition was True Value.

Presidio offers a variety of places to eat that include anything from snow cones, pizza places, Chinese food, and any Mexican food you desire. We have D'Y Convenience store, which offers fast food and is open late until 11:00 PM to satisfy your late night cravings. Subway is also in Presidio for all your sandwich cravings.

Presidio has 3 different schools that have all been recognized by the state for their great teamwork and dedication with the students. Teachers are very dedicated to seeing the students succeed, and have done a great job. The following link shows you how our Presidio students made it too the White House and MET President Obama! This was made possible my the hard work and dedication to the students that Mrs. Condino, and local teachers provided.

[url=http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/02/08/don-t-mess-texas-science-students]Don[/url]

It also has 2 clinics that all accept any walk-in patient, and get you the help you need.

Presidio offers 2 Banks that are known in the Big Bend area, and they offer genuine customer service.

It is a good place to raise your children without having to worry about your kid getting lost in the city. The majority of the people here are kind, generous, and look out for each other. When you get here from a big city, of course its a big change, your nearest Wal*Mart is 3 hours away. Nearest shopping centers or malls are 4 hours away, your nearest McDonald's is 1 1/2 hours away. So yes of course it is a big change. Our store Alco, is like a mini Wal Mart which accommodates Presidio people's needs.

The weather is a dry climate of course, because you it is located in a desert. We rarely get rain, and get a lot of sand storms. In the summer the temperatures can get up to 120 degrees, so prepare yourself with some sunblock so you can get your tan on.

People usually get here and realize that the little town may not have a lot to offer, but it grows on you, and you learn to appreciate it, and even miss it when you leave.

Sure growing up we didn't have bowling places, or movie theaters where we could spend our weekends, but as simply as walking around town with your friends was something that you enjoyed. The beautiful drive down to Lajitas is amazing, and was always something my friends and i would get together and do. Seeing the sun set down by the river is an amazing experience. We have lots of local baseball, and basketball games where you can go and see our local kids kick some butt! We would usually get together at someone's house and play outside, or watch TV. There was always, always something to do for us kids, and as teenagers also.

You will see that Border Patrol is always out there taking care of the area, and checking out any suspicious activity. US Customs and US Border Patrol, also contribute to Presidio's 5,000 + population. Violence in Mexico has gone up a little, but has not crossed over to Presidio. Presidio City Police, are always around town, and so are Presidio County Sheriff's department.

So even if you are a single person, or a family. Presidio has little to offer in a big way. Everyone gets along and it's almost like living in a different world, in a good way. It is a good place to raise your family, and makes you appreciate the little things you sometimes take for granted in life. If you are single, there are options out there for you. You will only know for yourself until you are actually out here and living your life.

So for all the negative Nancy's out there that try to put down our small town this is my advice to you:

Never judge a town by the size of the sandstorm. Under that sand lies a treasure that many people hold close to their hearts, and will always be proud to be from Presidio.

Sincerely yours,

A local, happy, proud, Presidio resident.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:22 AM

12 posts, read 52,906 times
Default I LIVE in Presidio...

All of the responses to your questions are...WRONG! I have lived here for the past 19 years. Presidio is a wonderful community with lots to offer. We have several gas stations, a grocery store, Alco, a couple of Dollar stores and several really good restaurants. For recreation, we have the Big Bend Ranch State Park, Big Bend National Park, Ft Leaton Historical Site....If you like the outdoors, this is a great place to be and explore. We also have a great school system, as I am a teacher here...not a drug dealer, work for ICE...etc... Ho Hum...If you have any questions that you would like real answers to, please contact me directly. There is NO violence on this side of the border...we still sleep with the windows open and the doors unlocked. In Ojinaga, if you don't go looking for trouble, you won't find any! It is our sister city and I go there for shopping, getting hair cuts, and going out to eat. Don't listen to those who know NOTHING about this area and do not live here!

Old 04-20-2012, 08:48 AM

12 posts, read 52,906 times
Default oops! just saw the other comments!

I did not realize that there were other comments from people who actually live here as well. Their responses are WONDERFUL and CORRECT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas