Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 10:11 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,410,816 times

Advertisements

Laredo is the butt-hole of Texas. Its ugly. Nobody speaks English and if you aren't in a "new" area, you couldn't tell it apart from Mexico. Plus for a city its size, it is CONGESTED. All of this, plus it's next to one of the most dangerous cities in the world.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:06 AM

12 posts, read 21,975 times
I live in Beaumont, and while it is very green, I am bored to tears here. Just waiting to get our finances in order and move to either Houston or Dallas. I miss the nice little jazz spots and Trader Joe's and shopping and "Big-Cityness" (I know that's not a word LOL) of Los Angeles where I grew up. Relocated to Texas after retirement. Housing cost are excellent, the people are great, but just Beaumont is so boring, the most exciting thing here is the lightening and thunder storms which give one quite a show. I also don't like the 'churchiness' of the area. I understand this is the so-called 'Bible-Belt', but it seems like everything here revolves around church activities. I am a spiritual person, just not a church-goer.I respect all faiths, just don't feel the need to be part of organized religion.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbird55 View Post
I live in Beaumont, and while it is very green, I am bored to tears here. Just waiting to get our finances in order and move to either Houston or Dallas. I miss the nice little jazz spots and Trader Joe's and shopping and "Big-Cityness" (I know that's not a word LOL) of Los Angeles where I grew up. Relocated to Texas after retirement. Housing cost are excellent, the people are great, but just Beaumont is so boring, the most exciting thing here is the lightening and thunder storms which give one quite a show. I also don't like the 'churchiness' of the area. I understand this is the so-called 'Bible-Belt', but it seems like everything here revolves around church activities. I am a spiritual person, just not a church-goer.I respect all faiths, just don't feel the need to be part of organized religion.
Why the hell did you move to Beaumont? Sounds like you never should have left southern California.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:18 AM

217 posts, read 327,940 times
worst?

Port Arthur
Marlin
Loving
Farwell
Hearne

Hearne is so bad, that it had the only Walmart in the nation that operated at a loss.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearne,_Texas#Wal-Mart

Old 08-01-2013, 08:20 AM

12 posts, read 21,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Why the hell did you move to Beaumont? Sounds like you never should have left southern California.

You're absolutely right, and I take NO offense to your statement. We relocated because of finances and because I have family here. HOWEVER... We've made the BIGGEST MISTAKE OF OUR LIVES. And YES! somehow, someway, we are going to HIGHTAIL it back to Dockweiler Beach and the BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL Pacific ocean just as fast as my short little legs can carry me. ( I promise I won't exceed the speed limit..) But, yes, I've gotta get out of here before I lose my mind.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
I have a higher opinion of Beaumont than most, but I certainly don't blame someone from California experiencing culture shock and wanting to get out as quick as they can.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:23 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,002 times
man id experience culture shock if i lived in beaumont and im from south texas. would never live there even if i was paid a good salary.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastontracks View Post
man id experience culture shock if i lived in beaumont and im from south texas. would never live there even if i was paid a good salary.
I had a bad case of culture shock just visiting from West Texas many years ago.....

I felt like I wasn't even IN Texas any longer...!!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:12 PM

581 posts, read 924,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
What is the best city in Texas to live in ?

also

What is the worst city in Texas to live ?

When I say city I mean any city over 5,000 people.
This is an impossible question to answer. I'm older than dirt and I haven't been to half of Texas. Just always remember to wear mountain shoes when out in West Texas and flat shoes when walking around the lowlands that are the Houston area.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:16 PM

581 posts, read 924,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
California has fires, mud slides, earthquakes, and worse, communism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas