Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 06:28 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times

Advertisements

Best: San Antonio, Austin, Dallas.

Worst: Rio Grande City, Abilene, Amarillo

Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 PM

5 posts, read 17,386 times
Odessa is horrific. Huge boom/bust city based on the oilfield. We are currently in a massive boom (which you would think is good) except that every place to possibly live is full. There are 2+ year waiting lists on apartments that are charging absolutely ridiculous prices once you can get in. There are people living in hotel lobbies and on the streets with their children, even when working multiple jobs. There are massive wrecks mostly everyday because our small streets are incredibly overcrowded. Anyway, the list goes on and on. During the busts, it's bad for the regular horrible economy bust reasons. The city also has an above average crime rate and honestly, from what I hear in news on a daily basis, I can't believe it isn't even higher. The schools are not up to par. I would never, ever put my children in school here.

As far as the best city, it really depends on what types of things you like. I have a bias towards the hill country, so I think some of the best cities in Texas are Kerrville, Lockhart, and San Marcos. Ingleside (in the bay area) is really nice also. Lubbock isn't bad if you don't mind a college town. It all just depends on your preferences!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:30 PM

816 posts, read 1,946,692 times
Best City: The Woodlands, Kingwood, Sugar Land, Katy, Cypress, Bellaire, Highland Park, Southlake, Keller, Plano, Frisco, and Grapevine.

Worst City: Beaumont, Port Arthur, Pasadena, Baytown, Brownsville, Laredo, Waco, and Bryan.

In case anyone ask, I've been to all of these. This is in general and I'm sure the worse cities have a very limited area for nice homes.

As you know, I didn't list any East Texas cities because I'll be bias.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Dallas wins why because i dont know i was just born their and now i live in ohio.
Dallas is the best because you used to live there but moved away?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:55 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Dallas is the best because you used to live there but moved away?
Odd logic

Old 09-03-2012, 10:56 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
Best City: The Woodlands, Kingwood, Sugar Land, Katy, Cypress, Bellaire, Highland Park, Southlake, Keller, Plano, Frisco, and Grapevine.

Worst City: Beaumont, Port Arthur, Pasadena, Baytown, Brownsville, Laredo, Waco, and Bryan.

In case anyone ask, I've been to all of these. This is in general and I'm sure the worse cities have a very limited area for nice homes.

As you know, I didn't list any East Texas cities because I'll be bias.
More like best suburbs.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
More like best suburbs.
Ha exactly. Why would one even name best cities when they're in the Houston metro area. Most of lists people are putting together are terrible. Mainly metro matt since he needs to get a clue. I just got back from milaquite beach in padre island about 20 miles from corpus and it was fantastic!

Corpus I guess isn't the best but def not the worst as he mentioned. If Waco and killeeen are on the best then there's def something wrong.

I don't know the cities well west of Dallas out to Lubbock so I can't include those but :

Best:
Central texas- Austin, san Marcos, new braunfels
South texas- San antonio
North texas- Dallas, ft worth
East- Houston
Valley- McAllen

Worst:
Waco
Brownsville
Laredo
Killeen

Old 09-03-2012, 11:22 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
More like best suburbs.
To be fair, the original poster did say anything with over 5,000 people. Almost any suburb of a large city would qualify.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:27 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
Waco got Museums, Baylor, Parks, Shopping, Lakes and rivers..how is it worst.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:42 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Waco got Museums, Baylor, Parks, Shopping, Lakes and rivers..how is it worst.
Because:

Houston has MORE museums, Rice, U of H, MORE parks, MORE shopping, lakes, rivers, bayous, and just about a half hour drive away from the beach. Also, more jobs and major pro sports teams

Dallas has MORE museums, SMU, MORE parks, MORE shopping, lakes, rivers, and the State Fair. Also, more jobs and major pro sports teams.

San Antonio has MORE museums, UTSA, MORE parks, MORE shopping, lakes, a river that's used more than any other city in this state, The Alamo and MORE iconic landmarks. Also, more jobs and a major pro sports team.

Austin has MORE museums, UT, MORE parks, MORE shopping, lakes, rivers, hills, 6th Street, The Capitol, and more arts than you can shake a stick at. Also, more jobs.

Fort Worth has MORE museums, TCU, MORE parks, MORE shopping, lakes, rivers (that will be used oh so much more in the coming future) The Stockyards, Sundance Square, and one of the best zoos in the country. Also, MORE jobs. I would mention the Rangers and Cowboys are in our county, but we all know what happens when we do.

El Paso has...... stuff.

My point is, Waco has PLENTY of competition in this state. It's easy to see how people would call it the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas