Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is most dangeous(unsafe)?
Houston 38 55.88%
Dallas 23 33.82%
Austin 2 2.94%
San Antonio 5 7.35%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times

Advertisements

The most dangerous city is where you have your head down over your phone and are not looking around. Or you are out at a bar in a seedy place with a bunch of drunk 20 somethings at 2 am. Ie stupid people doing stupid things at a stupid location and a stupid time.

If you have your head on a swivel and are reasonably fit and don't do the 4 stupids, 99% of the criminals cannot do anything to you because you can avoid them. For the other 1%, carry a gun or be a victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 11:38 AM

310 posts, read 1,024,815 times
It's a hard call. I have to say Dallas because of Oak Cliff.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:44 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post

This isn't your father's Oak Cliff. Oak Cliff is one of the most up and coming parts of Dallas. There are way more dangerous places in Dallas and other cities.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Safest city maybe, not safest metro. No way Jose.

FYI Jaurez is a part of El Paso's metro area.
I have heard of that designation but do not know the source. I prefer to go by the US Census Bureau's Metropolitan Statistical Area definition that doesn't include any part of Mexico:

El Paso metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Makes perfect sense in this instance since the crime rates of the two areas are on opposite sides of the spectrum.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:01 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
It is strange... I remember not long ago Dallas was getting in the news for being so "dangerous" -- Dallas most dangerous big city, FBI says

...then almost suddenly that changed. I didn't know its rate had changed so much compared to the other large Texas cities until looking it up for this thread.
A main reason for the drop is because the Dallas PD stopped manipulating the stats and began abiding by the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting rules. DPD had over-reported crime for years.

Quote:
In some cases, the rules allow multiple crimes to be reported as a single criminal act. For example, cities can count break-ins that occur within minutes of one another and are thought to have been committed by the same burglar as one criminal act, not 10 crimes, when reporting numbers to the FBI.

"They were reporting things that should have been considered one crime episode as multiple crimes," said Robert Taylor, chairman of the criminal justice department at the University of North Texas. Like many criminologists, Dr. Taylor said he believes that data reported to the FBI is often inconsistent and that the bureau's Uniform Crime Report should not be used to compare cities.

"UCR has a lot of problems with it ... in variability of reporting and in how tightly the rules are interpreted by different agencies," Dr. Taylor said.

Dallas police don't yet know how long they have been improperly reporting crimes, but since other cities have been taking advantage of the rules, years of data may have made the city appear to have had much more property crime per capita than it does.

Dallas may be overreporting its crime statistics - Law Enforcement News

Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post

Old 03-17-2012, 10:25 AM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Oak Cliff is NOT the most dangerous.

Exploring Dallas' crime hot spots | Dallas-Fort Worth Breaking News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

Old 03-17-2012, 12:47 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,954 times
That's interesting. The 12th worst spot is in North Oak Cliff grazing Lake Cliff and only a few blocks from Bishop Ave. I wouldn't have thought that area would be so bad. I'm happy I'm not in one of the areas listed.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,058,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
That's interesting. The 12th worst spot is in North Oak Cliff grazing Lake Cliff and only a few blocks from Bishop Ave. I wouldn't have thought that area would be so bad. I'm happy I'm not in one of the areas listed.
This Crime Map Beta - Trulia is really helpful in seeing crimes color coded on a map of the city. Keep in mind that it is showing all crimes and areas such as shopping centers and apartment complexes have a lot of property crime in the large parking lots, petty theft, etc. You can uncheck the property crimes to see where the most violet crimes occure, see the black dots. This is in Beta so not every city is represented.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:05 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times
I feel safe because my 2 friends Smith & Wesson comfort me! There are parts of any of those places (cities) that could be considered troubled areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas