Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 8,607 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I am 24, Single, Female, Young Professional Moving to Houston!
I have been to Texas Once. I love everything about it.
I understand if you want city you get Traffic and such other rules. It's the same everywhere!
I Love the Heat I love the Religious aspect of the People Everything.
What I would like to Find out is what part to move to...
I am in Healthcare;Nursing homes and Private duty Cases.
I Also cocktail Waitress and would like to bartend in an upscale area.
I shouldn't have a problem finding a job with these two fields???
I will be enrolling in college as well.
I am looking for an affordable place near or in Downtown Houston.
I am by no means Racist! BUT I do not speak Spanish and need English speaking clients for healthcare and Upscale cocktail waitressing.
I need a 1/1 with possible dog. Doesn't have to be big. I can do up to $700 month. (Would Really really prefer not to have a roommate but if need be I guess I'll budge).
Any and All Information is Welcome!!!!!
Thank you All So Much!!!!!!!!!!!! I Can't wait to be a Texas Girl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 10:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
There are large medical complexes and special care homes all over the city. Same with Bars.

Since you will be going to school you would best find a place inside the loop because that is where most of the colleges are.

$700 is not going to be doable downtown. Besides, downtown is not as lively as other areas anyway. With a $700 budget you would do best looking at the properties just south or west of the Medical center or East of UH passed Highway 45.
I would not recommend staying between 45 and highway 288 as that area is rough.

Montrose and the heights used to be popular spots for students but prices have skyrocketed in the last 15 years and without a roommate you will be living in a dump. If you can find a roommate $600 each would get you a really nice place.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:47 PM

4 posts, read 8,607 times
I don't mind living outside the actual downtown. Driving is no bother to me.
And as for living in the College area if I have to have a room mate I know I won't.
I'm 24 but could not stand to end up living with a "irresponsible" Student.
I have read a lot about this Montrose and Heights area.
I believe I will make a decision to look there. But not in any dorm arrangement.
What exactly are these two places? Counties or living divisions?

Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by live12345 View Post
I don't mind living outside the actual downtown. Driving is no bother to me.
And as for living in the College area if I have to have a room mate I know I won't.
I'm 24 but could not stand to end up living with a "irresponsible" Student.
I have read a lot about this Montrose and Heights area.
I believe I will make a decision to look there. But not in any dorm arrangement.
What exactly are these two places? Counties or living divisions?
ha ha, no. Montrose is recommended a lot because it is very close to everything and has a large variety of amenities right there in the neighborhood. The Heights too, but to a lesser extent.

You do not have to get a student to share a place, just suggested it because the areas in Montrose in your price range would be crappy units.

If you want to live alone like I said earlier, the best bets would be south or west of the medical center.

There are apartments in the areas around the University of Houston for about $550 but they are really scary.

The 610 loop is a 5 mile radius loop. If you don't mind living over 5 Miles away from school (keep in mind that traffic gets downright boorish for hours at a time) then you may want to check places on Westheimer and Richmond west of the Galleria/ Uptown area. They would be cheaper than TMC and much cheaper than Montrose, but they are ways out there.

Now if you don't mind hour long commuters you can live outside the bigger loop. There apartments are cheaper but that is about the only benefit. You can find an apartment for $400 a month, but cheap most often times attract unsavory characters, and like I mentioned before the commute is no joke

Old 03-16-2012, 10:18 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,228 times
$700 will get you a cool place in Montrose. Don't let anybody tell you any different. It will not be in one of the fancy, yuppie building though. It may be an older duplex, four-plex or small complex. I actually had a two bedroom in Montrose for $700. 1 bedrooms in Motrose start at around $550, but you need to get out and drive around. Many of these places do not advertise on-line. Montrose will not be very religious.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
$700 will get you a cool place in Montrose. Don't let anybody tell you any different. It will not be in one of the fancy, yuppie building though. It may be an older duplex, four-plex or small complex. I actually had a two bedroom in Montrose for $700. 1 bedrooms in Motrose start at around $550, but you need to get out and drive around. Many of these places do not advertise on-line. Montrose will not be very religious.
how long ago was that?

good luck on that now.

Was looking in 2009 and the only ones at that price were absolutely horrid.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:13 AM

875 posts, read 1,661,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
DD you are right..its not just at Montrose but throughout the entire city. You can find a okay apartment around that price if you look around.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
DD you are right..its not just at Montrose but throughout the entire city. You can find a okay apartment around that price if you look around.
you can find nice places for under $700, I never said you couldn't. I was speaking of specific areas. If you can find places for under 700 in Montrose that are not crappy dm me the specifics. I know a ton of people who would like to move.

I know I checked myself and the only places that were decent were 2 bedrooms for 1k or more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: