Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 09:40 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times

Advertisements

Why is reading the Bible and/or carrying a gun considered horrible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 10:18 AM

178 posts, read 379,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Why is reading the Bible and/or carrying a gun considered horrible?
Because so many ppl these days look up to soy boys like beto. I would like to see him try to start a lawn mower

Old 11-28-2019, 10:28 AM

2,495 posts, read 866,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Are these stereotypes still prevalent in 2019? If Texas becomes a blue state will these horrible stereotypes disappear?
Texas was a blue state for a hundred years before Bill Clements took office in 1979.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
That's what most people I know think about TX, too (admittedly, including myself), until I kept an open mind (as I always try to do) and visited. I was happily surprised that I was wrong.

I think some of the very rural parts of TX are that way, but certainly not the entire state. Then again, most of the really rural parts of most states I've been to have been that way, so it's not strictly a rural TX thing.

As for people overseas, in my experience, they think Americans are like what they see on TV (aka Hollywood - rich, shallow, materialistic, easy, etc., etc. - basically, the same stereotype non-CA people have of CA).

It's a shame more people don't try to keep an open mind and visit a place before forming a solid opinion about it.

And there's another stereotype. People drive through the rural small towns (or not even that) and think they know what it's like. Not realizing that if they hung around long enough to get to know people, they'd find out that one of the guys that runs the BBQ stand has to be gone a lot because he's flying out of state for depositions, being an attorney licensed in multiple states, or the guy that owns the feed store is a geologist and engineer who assisted when the location for the SuperCollider was being determined, and the guy that owns the big cattle handling operation that's third generation family owned practically owns half the county, or that it takes an advanced degree from A&M (or the equivalent in decades, if not generations, of experience) to farm these days. And the price of farm equipment puts fancy cars to shame.

Reminds me of someone else I knew as a young girl. He was the typical grandfatherly old farmer, I never saw him in anything but overalls. He had a bass lake on his farm and since he and Daddy were friends (Daddy was a local minister), we got to go out and go out on the lake in his Jon boat and fish. It was several years later that I found out who Clint Murchison, Sr., was when he wasn't on his farm. That entire town was full of oil money (and education) but they didn't flash it, didn't need to.

Old 11-28-2019, 02:07 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,448,196 times
One thing that’s not a stereotype is that we as Texans don’t give a damn about what others think.

Old 11-28-2019, 04:17 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Texas was a blue state for a hundred years before Bill Clements took office in 1979.
Blue yes. Liberal no. Only exception was Ann Richards.

Old 11-28-2019, 06:00 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
One thing that’s not a stereotype is that we as Texans don’t give a damn about what others think.
I havnt found that to be true at all.

In fact one way or the other Texans seem to care a whole lot what other people think, they just preface it with saying they don't.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:26 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

In fact one way or the other Texans seem to care a whole lot what other people think, they just preface it with saying they don't.
Think about Dallas. Dallas is a very image conscious city. There's an element of pretentious and displaying status to others.

Old 11-29-2019, 05:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post

There's a whole lot of Texas outside the big cities, which are full of transplants from other states anyway.

Old 12-01-2019, 10:36 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There's a whole lot of Texas outside the big cities, which are full of transplants from other states anyway.
Well yes, often times it is the people who live outside the cities that care the most. Texas pride is even a bigger deal outside the major metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas