Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 15,304 times

Advertisements

What are the Texas stereotypes that other Americans and foreigners have of us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 03:59 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
Just watch GCB and you'll get them all tied up in one insulting nasty package. While the author of the book may have run up against those types of Texans in her N Richland Hills neighborhood (her words not mine) I'm really angry about the show because it encourages the ugly stereotypes the rest of the country has. And if you haven't watched it apparently we are: loud, trashy hypocrites who have big hair, too much makeup, cheat, backstab and I just got that from the promos!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:37 PM

998 posts, read 1,325,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwilliams77 View Post
What are the Texas stereotypes that other Americans and foreigners have of us?
Think: George W. Bush and Rick Perry

Old 03-20-2012, 11:12 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Fat, loud, slow, uneducated, cowboy hat wearing, tacky, gun carrrying, Bible beating, homophobic, racists. When I go back to MA, I always defend my state. The people here really do not seem to match that. Unfortunately, some of our politicians are falsely representing us on a national level. It's getting increasingly tedious.

Actually, I would not be surprised if Europeans though of all of America that way.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:05 PM

3,983 posts, read 5,014,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Fat, loud, slow, uneducated, cowboy hat wearing, tacky, gun carrrying, Bible beating, homophobic, racists. When I go back to MA, I always defend my state. The people here really do not seem to match that. Unfortunately, some of our politicians are falsely representing us on a national level. It's getting increasingly tedious.

Actually, I would not be surprised if Europeans though of all of America that way.
I agree that some of my relatives in other states have similar thoughts: Texans are lazy, uneducated, bible thumping racists. They don't say it all the time but it comes out in other ways. It's quite sad to me that a stereotype prevents them from visiting to see Texas for what it really is.

When I was in Italy (circa 1984), the BIG rage was the show Dallas and everyone I met wanted to know if I knew JR and Sue Ellen. From what I could tell then, a lot of kids thought it represented all of us. It's interesting to me that Texas invites so many non-natives to speculate. It's a huge state and like everywhere, it takes all kinds.

Ah, bless their heart...

Old 03-21-2012, 10:01 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post

Ah, bless their heart...
Ouch!

Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post

That's what most people I know think about TX, too (admittedly, including myself), until I kept an open mind (as I always try to do) and visited. I was happily surprised that I was wrong.

I think some of the very rural parts of TX are that way, but certainly not the entire state. Then again, most of the really rural parts of most states I've been to have been that way, so it's not strictly a rural TX thing.

As for people overseas, in my experience, they think Americans are like what they see on TV (aka Hollywood - rich, shallow, materialistic, easy, etc., etc. - basically, the same stereotype non-CA people have of CA).

It's a shame more people don't try to keep an open mind and visit a place before forming a solid opinion about it.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:05 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,033,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
I agree that some of my relatives in other states have similar thoughts: Texans are lazy, uneducated, bible thumping racists. They don't say it all the time but it comes out in other ways. It's quite sad to me that a stereotype prevents them from visiting to see Texas for what it really is.

When I was in Italy (circa 1984), the BIG rage was the show Dallas and everyone I met wanted to know if I knew JR and Sue Ellen. From what I could tell then, a lot of kids thought it represented all of us. It's interesting to me that Texas invites so many non-natives to speculate. It's a huge state and like everywhere, it takes all kinds.

Ah, bless their heart...
I agree about the part I bolded above. When I told people I was considering a move from the coast to TX, I couldn't even get them to consider coming to visit TX to pick a city before the move. Once they come visit me, I can't wait for the day to hear them say they were wrong about TX, even if it's only written on their face.

A lot of people on the coasts fool themselves into thinking they're so progressive and open-minded compared to other parts of the country. I only wish that were true to the degree people think it to be.

lol And now that I think of it, this entire TX stereotype reminds me of a funny saying: "A squirrel is nothing more than a rat with good PR." lol

TX surely needs better marketing, so I don't have to keep defending it.

Last edited by SunnyTXsmile; 03-22-2012 at 07:14 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 05:16 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
What cracks me up is when they have a scene on a television show or movie that is set somewhere, anywhere in Texas, every single man in the crowd is wearing a cowboy hat, boots and an oversized belt buckle.

Well, I have to saddle up my horse and run to HEB for more chewin tabackie.......

Old 03-23-2012, 05:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,369,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
Think: George W. Bush and Rick Perry
EXACTLY, especially Rick Perry. GWB went to Ivy League schools. Perry is a local "good ole boy" through and through.

Aside from that, I think the big cities are just like other big American cities, but I think some isolated locales might be a little redneck. Heck, there are many redneck places in California.

For those who either don't know or live in another country, they think cowboys, cattle, rodeos, JR Ewing, women with big hair, oil money, and displays of bravura.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas