Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2007, 12:19 PM

512 posts, read 861,720 times

Advertisements

My husband is contemplating a promotion opportunity within the company he currentlly works for that would take us to the Bremond area. We are originally from Indiana, but have lived in NE TX for six years. I'm interested in knowing what the towns are like around Bremond/Franklin/Hearne, the schools, the minds (open or closed) of the locals. We've had a tough time fitting in here, and I worry a smaller populated area will be tougher.

Also, how far away is Bryan? It looks to be the closest mid-sized city. We are Lutheran by denomination, and there are a couple Lutheran churches in College Station, and if we were to live in Bryan, my husband would be able to make the commute to work, and we'd be a little closeer to church than we are right now.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 01:24 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
I know that Hearne TX has experienced lost of some school students...apparently a small nearby town (Mumford TX) has open enrollment to students of other districts and some contention in Hearne has led to a rather large # of Hearne students transferring over to Mumford...you might can find more info about this.

Bremond to Bryan is about 43 miles.

Good luck...

Old 09-12-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks, Watchful, for the info on Hearne. I'll google the schools.

Also, when you say Bryan is about 43 miles, do you mean miles, or do you mean it takes about 43 mintues? I tried to do a couple different distance calcullators, and I'm getting two different time frames. One is about 45 minutes and the other is about 55 mintues. Ten mintues doesn't sound like a lot, but when it's tacked onto 3/4 an hour...

I'm reading about Bremond being quite the Polish/German community. Does anyone know more about that? From what I'm finding online, all these towns look nice and quaint, just small. Small is okay, as long as it's not so small we'll stick out like a sore thumb. Although, I am getting used to being called a Damn Yankee, even though I'm far from one. I just don't like to be pre-judged, and I want to be careful and not do the same thing to this area.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoT View Post
Thanks, Watchful, for the info on Hearne. I'll google the schools.

Also, when you say Bryan is about 43 miles, do you mean miles, or do you mean it takes about 43 mintues? I tried to do a couple different distance calcullators, and I'm getting two different time frames. One is about 45 minutes and the other is about 55 mintues. Ten mintues doesn't sound like a lot, but when it's tacked onto 3/4 an hour...

I'm reading about Bremond being quite the Polish/German community. Does anyone know more about that? From what I'm finding online, all these towns look nice and quaint, just small. Small is okay, as long as it's not so small we'll stick out like a sore thumb. Although, I am getting used to being called a Damn Yankee, even though I'm far from one. I just don't like to be pre-judged, and I want to be careful and not do the same thing to this area.
Miles...I just did the mapquest too - the travel should not encounter too many slowdowns and should likely be connected to exactly where you start in the Bryan area. I think this was calculated from the center of town so if you live on the northern edge of Bryan it should reduce your time helpfully!

I've lived in small towns before and there are certainly good things and bad things. Church is always a good way to connect to folks and if you have to drive to another town to go to a church that may not necessarily help.

Best I could tell the closest Lutheran congregations to Bremond are in Marlin (LCMS) and Rosebud (ELCA). I have heard Marlin being a little less than desirable. Really don't know anything about Rosebud.

You'll definitely have more options in Bryan. Bryan-College Station are right next to each other. You can read on other posts about it. Definitely dominated by the presence of a huge university - Texas A&M! That's another story!

Old 09-13-2007, 05:53 AM

OK I picked the farthest north school in the Bryan School District (Navarro Elementary) and mapquested that to Bremond - and it showed 41 miles, 46 minutes.

Other parts of Bryan could add about 10-15 minutes to that. College Station would add even more.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:24 AM

364 posts, read 1,420,582 times
Bremond is sort of isolated, which is not necessarily bad. I have not been there, so I cannot comment on the town. It will be quite a drive from Bryan though. If gas was $.25/gallon that would not be a big deal. But that 90-100 mile round-trip drive every day will get old and expensive. If you will not be happy living in Bremond, then perhaps live in Rosebud. That would put you between Temple and Bremond. I cannot recommend Hearne. It is a rough town. I can recommend B/CS. Great place to live. My wife is an Aggie grad, so that helps I guess, but it is still a neat town.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:25 PM
NNK

1 posts, read 3,516 times
Default Moving to Bremond Area

Just wanted to mention Franklin TX to you as a possibility. It's an easy drive, approx. 30 (or less) minutes from Bremond. Franklin is the County Seat of Robertson County. I grew up in Calvert , just south of Bremond & still keep up with the news of the area. Franklin has been on an upswing in reputation of schools & overall quality of life in a small town. Land values have risen sharply in recent years. Check it out !

Old 09-17-2007, 08:55 PM

Thanks, NNK. My husband and I were just talking about the Franklin area. The job will actually be at the upcoming TXU power plant, and from a map, it also looks about 30 miles from Franklin. And, Franklin seems to have much more in the line of houses we're looking for. I did a TAKs scores search at greatschools.com and they have some really good scores.

Thanks for the info. It might be a few more weeks before he hears anything, so we have plenty time to look. Any more info would be much appreciated.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,447 times
Default Move to Bremond

I hate to burst your bubble, but are you aware that the nickname for Robertson County is Booger County? I have lived here for nearly 30 years, and it is no treat.
You are a Yankee, as I am, and you will suffer for it here. Also, if you care about your kids, don't send them to any school in this county.
Franklin has been having an upswing economically lately, due to oil and gas.
Politics here are terrible, the good ol boy network at its best. For instance, the city attorney for all of the cities in the county is the same person. He was just given $150,000 by the Hearne city council.
Are you getting the picture?
Yes, commuting to here from Bryan will be hard, but it will be well worth it. By the way, I don't think there is even a grocery store in Bremond. There is a watering hole called the Dry Bean.
This county also has one of the highest occurances of voter fraud in the whole state and has been investigated for it.
Yes, I used to work for the chamber of commerce here. Used to is the operative word.
If you plan to live in the country, have no children to educate, stay out of politics and keep to yourself, it is great. Also, don't get sick because healthcare here is non-existant unless you are below the poverty level, which about half of our population is.
Sorry to be a wet blanket and I hope I got to you in time, but I hate to see one more person disappointed after you have invested in the community. Just ask the last 3-4 city managers we have had in the last 5 years. They were all run out for various reasons.
Oh, we do have a lot of churches here. Lutheran may not exist, but the Baptists are strong.
Marlin is no better. Better just go South to Bryan/College Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas