Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 31,088 times

Advertisements

Thinking of re-locating to Texas from California. Tired of California's liberal politics and high cost of living. Looking for a place I can purchase a home and not have a mortgage. Princeton is very affordable. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 05:05 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Highly recommend you do a search in the Dallas forum. Princeton has been discussed at length in that forum...and there are good reasons why it's so cheap to live there...

Old 01-30-2012, 07:50 AM

Default Looking for Update. Other Posts Are Years Old.

Thank you for the response ChristineP. I have read the other postings but they are old. Many said that Princeton will be better in 10 years. Those posts are 4 or 5 years old. Am wondering if Princeton has seen any improvement since then. What do you think?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:26 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
You can find the latest detailed demographics and data for Princeton, TX here. //www.city-data.com/city/Princeton-Texas.html

Looks like it has low unemployment, low cost of living, cost of housing seems low, very low poverty rate, median household incomes are average for Texas, crime is very low, rent looks high to me which could indicate it is a desirable place to live and/or there are very few places available to rent.

Last edited by CptnRn; 01-30-2012 at 11:47 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 09:06 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,122 times
Its in the middle of no where and you will have to spend a lot in gas to get around.

You can pay the same for a house much closer in.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:04 AM

393 posts, read 1,114,591 times
I live in East Plano, and I've looked at Princeton. I thought of buying a home out there, but it would have required a half-hour commute just to get to Richardson. Princeton is, in my opinion, "out in the sticks."

Murphy or Wylie are closer to civilization and still country-ish.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 PM

6 posts, read 26,443 times
Default Princeton - Living

Hello, ...From Princeton, TX.

You mentioned not wanting a mortgage payment, (maybe you're rich). In any case, depending on what scale of home you're after, in July 2008 we paid $132K for a new 1 story 2/3, 2000sq-ft, 2-car garage, brick home. Our note is $1230. mo., $475. of that note is property tax (per month). No State income tax here. Of course, there're many scales of homes in neighborhoods.

Very "conservative" here. That's very obvious when election days are held. With everyone waiting in line to vote at the Republican tables, and MAYBE a handful at the democRATs tables. Add to that, our fine ex-President George W. lives not far from Princeton. Also, Chuck Norris is just down the road.

The "main drag" is a 4 lane (2 each way) semi-highway 380. Moves pretty fast at a 60mph speed limit. Booko restaurants and grocery stores abound just 6 miles from Princeton. Or for a more cozy country feel, there're are a couple of small grocery stores in Princeton.

BiG D (that's Dallas) starts as soon as you get on I-75, just 6 miles from from Princeton. I-75 is lined with malls, restaurants, stores, strip-centers...you name it, all the way into downtown Dallas.

Before you come here, make VERY sure your car's air conditioner is in TOP shape. You'll NEED it!!!

I'm a native of Houston and had relatives in Dallas many decades ago.

Best, ... Lee.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Lee,
Thank you so much for such a great reply. We too are very conservative. We are living in California and it is one of the main reasons we would like to re-locate. We are one of the few voters at the polls voting Republican here. We are not rich however we own our home in California and have enough equity to sell it and pay for a modest home in Princeton. Real-estate prices in CA are very high. Thank you for the great insight. Best response yet! Please feel free to add anything else. We have teenage children. We are in our mid 40's.
Thank you,
llmsem

Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 AM

Lee,
I must mention that I am a little bit nervous about living in Tornado Alley. Earthquakes don't bother me so much.
Thank you,
llmsem

Old 03-22-2012, 02:14 AM

6 posts, read 26,443 times
Llmsen - I hear ya on the "tornados", ...however I'd hate to think of what's in store for CA during the next BIG ONE. Never-the-less, in the 3 years we've lived here, we haven't seen any tornados. That's not to say they won't come in the future. The "Tornado Alley" area is mainly far north of us in OK., MO., KS. Where're y'all at now, San Diego?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas