Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:10 PM

247 posts, read 558,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, a challenge. Those of you who think that the speed limit doesn't count if you don't want it to, please show me where in the Texas Transportation Code it says that the speed limit is suspended and under what conditions. Not your interpretation of something that you want to imply that the speed limit doesn't count for you or anyone else who wants to drive really really fast, vroom!, vroom!, but wording that says that the speed limit is suspended under X conditions.

Until you can do that, it doesn't matter what you do, two things are fact:

The speed limit is what it is, for you and for everyone, and when you drive faster than the limit, you are violating the law and doing something wrong.

The person who is driving at the speed limit in any lane is obeying the law and is not doing anything wrong. Dangerous, perhaps, and they shouldn't be doing it because there are plenty of people out there who never got the memo that they and their wannas aren't the center of the universe who are as a result quite dangerous on the roads and should be avoided and left to law enforcement to deal with, but not illegal, and not morally wrong. It's the people who whine because someone else won't violate the law or get out of their way so that they can who are in the wrong and the cause of the problem, and who are the actual initiating cause of the dangerous condition - if they weren't speeding, the dangerous condition would not exist in the first place.
Unless you want to make a citizen's arrest, why are you trying to enforce it?

It's more of a danger in your scenario if say 2 cars are side by side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 09:58 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshdw View Post
Unless you want to make a citizen's arrest, why are you trying to enforce it?

It's more of a danger in your scenario if say 2 cars are side by side.
So, my asking people to own up to the fact that they're deliberately choosing to do something wrong while at the same time trying to blame someone else for the consequences of their own actions (having to slow down occasionally, boo hoo!) is trying to enforce the law? From a computer keyboard? I must have super powers!

Or are you referring to my posting of the pertinent statutes and issuing a challenge to anyone who thinks there's somewhere in there that says the speed limit is suspended in ANY lane to find it and post it because I've not been able to find it constitutes an attempt to enforce? Not quite sure how that would work, either, unless your theory is that people who are breaking the speed limit somehow don't KNOW that they're breaking a traffic law, in which case they're even more dangerous than I thought they were and need a complete remedial driving course, stat!

If neither of those, what are you trying to say here?

Old 04-03-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
So, my asking people to own up to the fact that they're deliberately choosing to do something wrong while at the same time trying to blame someone else for the consequences of their own actions (having to slow down occasionally, boo hoo!) is trying to enforce the law? From a computer keyboard? I must have super powers!

Or are you referring to my posting of the pertinent statutes and issuing a challenge to anyone who thinks there's somewhere in there that says the speed limit is suspended in ANY lane to find it and post it because I've not been able to find it constitutes an attempt to enforce? Not quite sure how that would work, either, unless your theory is that people who are breaking the speed limit somehow don't KNOW that they're breaking a traffic law, in which case they're even more dangerous than I thought they were and need a complete remedial driving course, stat!

If neither of those, what are you trying to say here?
I'm saying you're trying to enforce the the speed limit by not moving out of the way, aka impeding traffic and also causing traffic. Let the speeders speed, just move out of the way. Whether they get a ticket is their own problem. Impeding traffic is your issue.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:59 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
I'm saying you're trying to enforce the the speed limit by not moving out of the way, aka impeding traffic and also causing traffic. Let the speeders speed, just move out of the way. Whether they get a ticket is their own problem. Impeding traffic is your issue.
Sorry, no, I disagree. If you are driving the speed limit you are not impeding lawful traffic.

And if someone doesn't like my behaving in a lawful manner, that is definitely THEIR problem. I refuse to allow my life to be affected by herd mentality.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 PM

40 posts, read 65,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Sorry, no, I disagree. If you are driving the speed limit you are not impeding lawful traffic.

And if someone doesn't like my behaving in a lawful manner, that is definitely THEIR problem. I refuse to allow my life to be affected by herd mentality.
Actually, it's the law you allow others to pass. You are contradicting yourself.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,849,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscotree View Post
Actually, it's the law you allow others to pass. You are contradicting yourself.
No it is not. Please post the statute to back up your claim.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Clearly you didn't read the entire thread, or at least the posts in which I've said more than once that I DO move over (if, in fact, I'm in the left lane at all, which is not my preference).

Nice try at a diversion, though (though not a very good red herring as I didn't follow it far enough to lose the actual point of the question); how about answering the challenge?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
No it is not. Please post the statute to back up your claim.
TRANSPORTATION CODE**CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES

Old 04-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Clearly you didn't read the entire thread, or at least the posts in which I've said more than once that I DO move over (if, in fact, I'm in the left lane at all, which is not my preference).

Nice try at a diversion, though (though not a very good red herring as I didn't follow it far enough to lose the actual point of the question); how about answering the challenge?
The passing law applies.

TRANSPORTATION CODE**CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES

Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Where exactly in that does it say that the speed limit is suspended in any lane? What's the exact wording?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas