Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:56 AM

122 posts, read 222,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Oh ya, I can absolutely relate to that lol.

The first time I saw Houston was on my way to Gaveston. I remember seeing the Katy highway and thinking to my self, Good God! LOL
What did you think about Galveston? The first time I came to Galveston was in 2003 to go on a family cruise. We just drove through town to get on the ship and back out once we got off. I wasn't too impressed. However, now, after exploring the place, I love it. Great way to spend a Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 09:06 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
Chew me out..why? I just gave my experience from living in Houston and Dallas.
Oh, I don't have a problem with you relaying your experiences, but let's just say he does. He can't stand anyone having anything good to say about Dallas, especially when it's in comparison with Houston.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:00 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,052,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Oh, I don't have a problem with you relaying your experiences, but let's just say he does. He can't stand anyone having anything good to say about Dallas, especially when it's in comparison with Houston.
It goes both ways as there are several others on this board who do the same with the cities in reverse. Like the OP! That's the problem with this board sometimes. However, it's not helping things when you jump into the thread after the first post to say that, when the person of mention hasn't even entered the thread yet....

Old 04-19-2012, 10:13 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
It goes both ways as there are several others on this board who do the same with the cities in reverse. Like the OP! That's the problem with this board sometimes. However, it's not helping things when you jump into the thread after the first post to say that, when the person of mention hasn't even entered the thread yet....
I like to feel I'm responsible for him not entering the thread yet. We're getting terribly off topic, but from what I've read, he's the main instigator of the Dallas/Houston pissing contests.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:23 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshoota View Post
What did you think about Galveston? The first time I came to Galveston was in 2003 to go on a family cruise. We just drove through town to get on the ship and back out once we got off. I wasn't too impressed. However, now, after exploring the place, I love it. Great way to spend a Saturday.
Well unfortunately both trips I made to Galveston has been just after Hurricanes has struck the island, Rita and Ike. So with that said I like Galveson but I think it's really suffering. It's not uncommon to see countless homes still damaged from Ike. Now with that said, the older Historical Post Office st looked great! The beaches was nice and their workin on a really cool pier with carnival rides an shopping. You also have the other attractions such as Seawolf park with the Submarine/ Destroyer and Moody Garden etc.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:39 PM

405 posts, read 822,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I like to feel I'm responsible for him not entering the thread yet. We're getting terribly off topic, but from what I've read, he's the main instigator of the Dallas/Houston pissing contests.
Yep! Him and Nairobi.

Don't worry; they'll both be here soon enough. I can see them salivating and rubbing their hands together with aniticipation as soon as they read the title of this thread...

Old 04-19-2012, 04:41 PM

578 posts, read 1,228,020 times
Quote:
Due to work I spent a year in Houston and 2 in Dallas. Houston was ok, great medical services, some good museums, shopping at Gallerie was neat. You can't really expect urban living in Houston but once you go out a ways you find comfortable places to live. Maybe a little dull in Houston. Dallas was totally different.

Dallas seems a place on a mission. They are building parks on top of freeways, Trinity River park is being built on a uncomprehensionable scale. They are adding more Calatrava bridges, The Uptown area next to downtown is booming with high rise condos all over. Downtown buildings are being converted into apartments everywhere.
So, where does the "from west Texas" part come into this thread?
SVTRay and jayshoota wrote wonderful posts relating everything together...

Old 04-19-2012, 10:45 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by die Eichkatze View Post
So, where does the "from west Texas" part come into this thread?
SVTRay and jayshoota wrote wonderful posts relating everything together...
Thanks,

I think I see what others are saying. I was goin to ask which part of West Texas but got carried away in my other post.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:46 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times
Interesting. One of my best friends is in town from Dallas and remarked yesterday that the people in Houston are so much nicer than the "flakes" in Dallas. He's from Dallas. Have fun living there, I guess.

Houston is chaotic and disorganized and so much more livable than Dallas. Been here since 95 and would never go back to live in Big D. Too fake and too many flakes.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 AM

391 posts, read 922,911 times
Quote:
Due to work I spent a year in Houston and 2 in Dallas. Houston was ok, great medical services, some good museums, shopping at Gallerie was neat. You can't really expect urban living in Houston but once you go out a ways you find comfortable places to live. Maybe a little dull in Houston. Dallas was totally different.

Dallas seems a place on a mission. They are building parks on top of freeways, Trinity River park is being built on a uncomprehensionable scale. They are adding more Calatrava bridges, The Uptown area next to downtown is booming with high rise condos all over. Downtown buildings are being converted into apartments everywhere.
Yeah... uh Dallas could be spending that money they use on useless infrastructure projects (park over the freeway, bridge to no where, etc.) on projects that REALLY need attention... i.e, Project Pegasus, IH-635 north, IH-35E north. Instead Dallas spends all sorts of money on things that do not make a difference (other than vanity) and now have to convert IH-35E and IH-635 to have managed toll lanes when they probably could have got by with free lanes if the billion dollar brige to no where wasn't built and the park over an ugly freeway wasn't built.

Dallas' downtown is converting office buildings to residental apartments because there is not a demand for office space in their downtown. Removing class-A commerical space "reduces" the vacancy rate. Dallas really could stand to revitalize their downtown (particularly the streets!) to make it a little more appealing. Also they could really use this money on incentives to attract businesses back into Dallas city limits and not letting businesses leave into the suburbs and Fort Worth!

Houston just spends money much more wisely than Dallas and puts its citizens needs ahead of vanity issues. Houston seems less "urbanized" because we have much more land to spread out on than Dallas. Dallas is almost 100% blocked by incorporated cities so the only way they can grow is up or south and we all know that Dallas will probably NEVER grow south unless the do come hefty changes to their rediculous "zoning".

Anyhow, Dallas can keep up what they are doing so they will continue becoming less of a threat to Houston. The more Dallas messes up, the better it makes Houston look! So Dallas, keep spending money on stupid projects, Houston appreciates the businesses moving down to Houston from Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas