Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 AM

28,092 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Is it significant to you that Romney is a Mormon? I find it odd you chose to list it that way>
It's significant to every poster here who mentions it in every single post they make. It's clearly the deciding factor in who they will or won't vote for. And most of them would vehmently deny being the bigots they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 09:51 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
The voting trends are incredibly predictable in Texas.

The Rio Grande Valley, Dallas, Harris, Travis, and Bexar counties vote Democrat. Everyone else votes Republican.

Things will only change once Texas is majority Hispanic and they all start voting. Until then, its a Republican stronghold.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:57 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,545,794 times
Quote:
Yep.

It is likely that the last independent thought in Texas died at the Alamo.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:24 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's significant to every poster here who mentions it in every single post they make. It's clearly the deciding factor in who they will or won't vote for. And most of them would vehmently deny being the bigots they are.
Oh, I do hope that there be many such bigots amongst Texas Republicans!

Old 04-30-2012, 10:26 AM

933 posts, read 1,533,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

The Rio Grande Valley, Dallas, Harris, Travis, and Bexar counties vote Democrat. Everyone else votes Republican.

Things will only change once Texas is majority Hispanic and they all start voting. Until then, its a Republican stronghold.
What about Jefferson County? They haven't voted for a Republican since 1972.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My dislike of mormons comes from their actions, not from a benign characteristic like skin color or sexual orientation. That is a big difference. As I've said before, I would have voted for Huntsman because I don't feel that he votes or acts in lockstep with his cult.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:04 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,001,704 times
Forget Ron Paul and all those others. Politics and politicians will never help or improve this country. Only "the people" will. It's naive and foolish to put hope and attention on the politicians. Especially the lot and breed we have these days....

Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Romney is a lackluster candidate. The Republicans are a force when they are mobilized behind a candidate (like Dubya). For better or worse Romney is no Dubya and can't shake up the base.

Unfortunate (or fortunately, depends on how you look at it) he has pushed himself so far right during the primaries that he won't be able to motivate the moderates either. Romney needs to pick a fire cracker hard core conservative like Cheney to have any chance in the election.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
My dislike of mormons comes from their actions, not from a benign characteristic like skin color or sexual orientation. That is a big difference. As I've said before, I would have voted for Huntsman because I don't feel that he votes or acts in lockstep with his cult.
I expect few people are aware that Harry Reid is mormon (a convert rather than born into it). He's hardly the stereotype of that religion. A lot of Texans would dislike him because he's a progressive Democrat rather than due to the sect of which he is a member. Huntsman is said to be more conservative than people normally realise, but I tend to like the guy even though I would never vote for a Republican. As far as I'm concerned, he was the only decent candidate the Repugs had this time around and it's telling how little traction he achieved (none, basically). I can't imagine that Mittens is very culturally congruent with Texas, completely leaving the whole LDS thing aside.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReppingDFW View Post
What about Jefferson County? They haven't voted for a Republican since 1972.
Jefferson County has a long history of unionised industry, which pretty much explains why it votes Dem, although I must say that unions have been so weakened that it's surprising to me that in basically conservative Southeast Texas, a Democratic majority has been maintained. A couple of other demographic factors are a large African-American population and a sizeable number of persons from Acadiana who settled in SE TX in the mid-Twentieth Century, bringing along, I presume, certain old populist Democratic leanings, a la the Huey Long tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas