Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 08:20 PM

10 posts, read 30,133 times

Advertisements

Might be a bit late in the day to ask this, but I'm interviewing for an internship in Plainview this summer. I'm hoping to get it, as it'd sure be nice to get out of Tucson, Arizona for a while... forever if possible.

What's nice about Plainview, Lubbock, Amarillo and the surrounding areas? What isn't? What are the gun laws?

What's good to know about Texas Agriculture?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:58 PM

2,308 posts, read 3,902,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDontLetMeDown View Post
Might be a bit late in the day to ask this, but I'm interviewing for an internship in Plainview this summer. I'm hoping to get it, as it'd sure be nice to get out of Tucson, Arizona for a while... forever if possible.

What's nice about Plainview, Lubbock, Amarillo and the surrounding areas? What isn't? What are the gun laws?

Wayland Baptist University is in Plainview. The town is not as big as Lubbock or Amarillo, but it's in between those places, closer in distance to Lubbock. That's about as much as I know about it.

Cotton is huge in the area. Sorghum/milo and wine grapes are also grown. Cattle ranches are mainly north and east from Plainview. There are some wheat and corn farms.

Lubbock is probably the most exciting city with the best entertainment, sports, restaurants, shopping, etc. Texas Tech adds quite a bit to the city. If you can possibly stay through September for the first home football game, I'd highly recommend it.

I think Amarillo is a good place, though I've not spent much time there.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:27 AM

714 posts, read 2,919,438 times
There are some negatives in the area, like wind, weather,hailstorms, and tornados. But other than that, it seems like a nice small town. Lubbock and Amarillo are interesting places, and all three citys are connected by an interstate. Gun laws are pretty similar to AZ, although we don't have open carry in Texas (yet). We do have CHL, and gun ownership, hunting, etc is common.

I've been to Plainview a few times, it is a typical small West Texas town. Not too big, not too small. But hey, any town that is the birthplace of Jimmy Dean can't be bad.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,527,066 times
Plainview is just an average small town, though it's a little larger than most of the small towns in the area, at 20,000 or so.

Cons: The schools are pretty dismal from what I hear. Allergies from all the agriculture, weather (wind, severe storms sometimes, wild and sudden changes)

Pros: I guess most of the positive things that go with small-town living, like friendly people. Wayland adds to the town. Weather (sunny, usually not humid, pleasant weather much of the time)

Old 01-05-2011, 01:53 PM

10 posts, read 30,133 times
Thank you all for the information! I have that interview over the phone in about an hour. I hope it goes well.

Would you recommend renting a place in Lubbock or Plainview, and what's the crime like in the area?

Old 01-05-2011, 02:11 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,649,224 times
Having lived in Tucson for many years, and being in Plainview several times....I think you will begin to miss "A" mountain after a few months there...unless you dont want to go back for personal reasons.....Lubbock is a little better than Plainview

Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyDontLetMeDown View Post

Hey! I've lived in Plainview my entire life. It's a nice medium-sized town with lots of friendly people. The school system is actually academically accredited and the weather, while unusual, isn't all that bad. We haven't had a hailstorm or tornado or dust-storm in almost a decade. We just have hot summers and cold winters. Lubbock is a 45-minute drive away and it does offer lots of good doctors, recreational activity, etc. However, Amarillo is better if your looking for quality. I really hope your considering this! Goodluck with your choice!

Old 05-15-2012, 09:45 AM

15,440 posts, read 21,227,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile Darling View Post
We haven't had a hailstorm or tornado or dust-storm in almost a decade.
Lol! You do realize that a decade is ten years?

I have a farm about half way between Lubbock and Plainview. The dust storms this year and last year have been at times, mud storms. A few of the dust storms have been reminiscent of pics I have seen of the area in the 1930s.

The Texas south plains has weather that can be only compared to that on the Martian plains but for those who seek more quality in life than quantity, it is a great place to live.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:15 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,917,510 times
It is a very plain view, without the unique desert features and distant mountains that make Tucson interesting. IMO it would be better to live in Lubbock and commute to Plainview. I've lived in Lubbock and once interviewed for a position in Plainview, and realised before the interview (which including driving around town to various facilities) was finished that there was just no way that I could stand even to work in Plainview, much less live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: