Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 12:17 PM

977 posts, read 1,057,340 times

Advertisements

It is obvious to almost everyone, except Ron Paul supporters, that he is running a message campaign and does not have a realistic shot at winning the Republican nomination.

His supporters are extremely loyal and most will vote for him as a third candidate regardless of his odds.

He might even find a way to get in a Presidential debate or two vs. Obama and Romney. This will only fire up his supporters.

Most of Paul supporters, (if forced to pick one of the two major parties) would side more closely with the republicans than the democrats but their loyalties will take away from the Republican party.

I wouldn't be surprised if Obama supporters and donating money to Paul's campaign to keep him viable as long as possible.

Looking at the last two presidential elections we already see that the Democrats are closing the gap in Texas but they still do have a ways to go.

2004:
Republican 61.4%
Democrat 38.4%

2008:
Republican 55.4%
Democrat 43.5%

We also know that most of the large Texas cities, with their population base, voted Democrat in the 2008 election. We also know that Texas, since 2008, has been a hot spot for Americans relocating from other states. I wonder what political attitudes they bring with them.

Not saying it will happen this election, but strong Paul support makes it more possible than without. Imagine a future where Texas is a legitimate Swing State...it would be a pretty important state to win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 PM

347 posts, read 468,011 times
Not that it will matter, but:

Ron Paul running as 3rd candidate - bad for Mitt Romney.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:28 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,468 times
Democrats will have to start making gains in the suburbs to have a chance. I know many of the Dallas County suburbs are blue or purple, but I don't see my county of Collin going blue ever.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:39 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
It is obvious to almost everyone, except Ron Paul supporters, that he is running a message campaign and does not have a realistic shot at winning the Republican nomination.

His supporters are extremely loyal and most will vote for him as a third candidate regardless of his odds.

He might even find a way to get in a Presidential debate or two vs. Obama and Romney. This will only fire up his supporters.

Most of Paul supporters, (if forced to pick one of the two major parties) would side more closely with the republicans than the democrats but their loyalties will take away from the Republican party.

I wouldn't be surprised if Obama supporters and donating money to Paul's campaign to keep him viable as long as possible.

Looking at the last two presidential elections we already see that the Democrats are closing the gap in Texas but they still do have a ways to go.

2004:
Republican 61.4%
Democrat 38.4%

2008:
Republican 55.4%
Democrat 43.5%

We also know that most of the large Texas cities, with their population base, voted Democrat in the 2008 election. We also know that Texas, since 2008, has been a hot spot for Americans relocating from other states. I wonder what political attitudes they bring with them.

Not saying it will happen this election, but strong Paul support makes it more possible than without. Imagine a future where Texas is a legitimate Swing State...it would be a pretty important state to win.
Unfortunately, Repubs are generally more cohesive than Dems. They will sheeple their vote and vote for the mormon romney. Paul will not make a significant dent in the vote.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:21 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStorm72 View Post
Not that it will matter, but:

Ron Paul running as 3rd candidate - bad for Mitt Romney.
It really doesn't matter. Romney does not have at shot at Obama. This could be as crushing a defeat as Reagan over Mondale.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:37 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
The country as a whole is trending toward the Democrats, and the Republican party has just done a very good job of pissing off Hispanics, whom TIME pronounced the deciders in the next election, and women, who trend liberal anyway, and who comprise 53% of the voters.

Oh, Ron Paul? Will suck off conservative votes, turning the tide for the Democrats.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:14 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
On what basis is there the apparent assumption here that Paul will run a third party/independent candidacy? If he were to do so, he would generate a great deal of Republican hatred that would risk political retaliation against his son, Rand Paul. I've heard it asserted that for that reason alone Ron Paul would be unlikely to mount an independent candidacy.

It would be lovely if he decides to do so, as it will eat in to Romney's support. However, I doubt that sufficient numbers of Texans would vote for Paul to swing the majority popular vote - and hence the State's electoral votes - to Obama.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Unfortunately, Repubs are generally more cohesive than Dems. They will sheeple their vote and vote for the mormon romney. Paul will not make a significant dent in the vote.
Is it significant to you that Romney is a Mormon? I find it odd you chose to list it that way>

Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Is it significant to you that Romney is a Mormon? I find it odd you chose to list it that way>
Guessing this was a typo -- just added an extra "m" in the middle (notice it was not capitalized)/

Old 04-30-2012, 08:35 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
It really doesn't matter. Romney does not have at shot at Obama. This could be as crushing a defeat as Reagan over Mondale.
I think you are very wrong here. Perhaps wishful thinking on your part?
Much of Obama's performance has been lackluster at best, he's not in a great place for an incumbent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas