Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 03:51 PM

8 posts, read 23,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I'm a little out of the loop having recently moved but I will try my best.

1) The oilfield has plenty of straight truck/Class B jobs. Examples: Fixed truck smaller cranes used by wireline and Fracking crews, Wireline Logger trucks, Pump Jack Treater trucks, Hot Oiler trucks, and my old job driving bobtail tankers (3000-4500gls) used to refuel frack pumps.

2) Generally speaking a company will tell you 40-70 hours but it was uncommon for us to see 70-100 hrs. Ou only need 24hrs to reset your hours in the oilfield. Anyhow, 12-20/hr wages and 10-12hrs per day...depending on the job or company, you could see more. There was several times when I spent the night on a well sites...and got paid for every hour.

3) It really all depends on the but I don't think it should be an issue. The oilfield has a high turn over rate, so you shouldn't have an issue getting back on with your company or a new one.

4) Not sure.

5) I know Hailiburton, StarTex, and Sunco fuels all put workers up in hotels. I know more does it but can't say which ones for sure.

Don't mind the long hours....would welcome them. I am 52 years old and am in good shape, but the back and shoulder isn't what it used to be. I can handle the hard work but am looking for something that doesn't require heavy lifting. Any jobs from your list or others that are easier on the body than others? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 03:53 PM

8 posts, read 23,899 times
Quote:
I worked with a Frac crew once who had a guy who worked drilling rigs in ND. He would tell me how the oil in their work trucks would freeze...even with block heaters. Even if they didn't freeze, ice would form around their tires and freeze solid.

Anyhow, I would check the job fair in Midland and ask them about 2 on an 2 off etc work shifts. It wouldn't surprise me if they had you doing a drug test/physical before you got a chance to leave.

Best of luck.

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 9,865 times
Thanks for the info. Currently on the OTR but have to find something with better pay. Have to find a way there.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,789 times
Anyone know of anyone hiring for entry level oil feild here in west south west texas? Preferably week on week off and a substantial amount of pay would be great! Any info appreciated! Or energy companies.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
I don't know of ANY entry level oil field jobs with a week on/week off schedule - though I may be mistaken. And when it comes to entry level work, it's the overtime that creates the "substantial amount of pay." Even in the oilfield, you have to bust your tail to make good money at the entry level!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know of ANY entry level oil field jobs with a week on/week off schedule - though I may be mistaken. And when it comes to entry level work, it's the overtime that creates the "substantial amount of pay." Even in the oilfield, you have to bust your tail to make good money at the entry level!
Agreed, I could live off my overtime pay alone. In two weeks time, we where in over time by the 3rd or 4th day. The remaining 10 days was time and half (I believe that's over time rates). Even driving a truck. As long as you're using your CDL exclusively for oilfield work, you got the oilfield reset exemption. This means you can reset your hours in 24 hrs vs OTR truckers who have to wait 34hrs. OTR drivers get 60/70 hrs max per week and have to shut down very 7/8 days. Oilfield drivers gets an extra 10 hrs a week or 70/80 hrs. Then most oil companies hire what's called local drivers, meaning their drivers don't drive more than 100-115 miles from the yard. This means no log books. Instead, the company keeps track of hours using time cards. Drivers would practically live on the clock easily getting 90-100 hrs and the company wouldn't say a thing as long as the job was getting done.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Agreed, I could live off my overtime pay alone. In two weeks time, we where in over time by the 3rd or 4th day. The remaining 10 days was time and half (I believe that's over time rates). Even driving a truck. As long as you're using your CDL exclusively for oilfield work, you got the oilfield reset exemption. This means you can reset your hours in 24 hrs vs OTR truckers who have to wait 34hrs. OTR drivers get 60/70 hrs max per week and have to shut down very 7/8 days. Oilfield drivers gets an extra 10 hrs a week or 70/80 hrs. Then most oil companies hire what's called local drivers, meaning their drivers don't drive more than 100-115 miles from the yard. This means no log books. Instead, the company keeps track of hours using time cards. Drivers would practically live on the clock easily getting 90-100 hrs and the company wouldn't say a thing as long as the job was getting done.
Interesting.

Overtime is, I believe, based on hours worked in excess of forty hours per week, not on a two week scale. In other words, aren't you getting paid time and a half for hours worked over forty in one week, and then that starts over again the next week? I mean, this just jumped out at me as I was reading your post. It's not a big deal but I was just wondering.

Anyway, you've well proven the point that you can make LOTS of money in entry level jobs in the oilfield, but not without a lot of overtime. AKA busting your butt! LOL

Old 01-11-2013, 05:29 AM

81 posts, read 124,713 times
Popping back in for a little update, stuff didn't pan out like I had hoped, still no CDL but I am heading to san antonio mid feb, got a few interviews lined up and between gonna knock on doors. Gonna use my welding and machining background to get myself there and stable then pursue the oil field work. Or if I can find something entry level in oil industry I will go for that. I just want to work lots of hours and have no problem with getting dirty or busting my butt all day.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizen View Post
Popping back in for a little update, stuff didn't pan out like I had hoped, still no CDL but I am heading to san antonio mid feb, got a few interviews lined up and between gonna knock on doors. Gonna use my welding and machining background to get myself there and stable then pursue the oil field work. Or if I can find something entry level in oil industry I will go for that. I just want to work lots of hours and have no problem with getting dirty or busting my butt all day.
Good luck and keep us posted! There is lots of oilfield work down in south Texas.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting.

Overtime is, I believe, based on hours worked in excess of forty hours per week, not on a two week scale. In other words, aren't you getting paid time and a half for hours worked over forty in one week, and then that starts over again the next week? I mean, this just jumped out at me as I was reading your post. It's not a big deal but I was just wondering.

Anyway, you've well proven the point that you can make LOTS of money in entry level jobs in the oilfield, but not without a lot of overtime. AKA busting your butt! LOL
I generally got 40-60 hrs of overtime in a single week (regular pay Mon-Wed and overtime Wed-Sat every week.)

Yes, the bulk of the money from entry level jobs comes from overtime but we're talking about Blue Collar jobs. So this is something one has to expect. You would need a degree in Petroleum Engineering, Geology, or Law focusing on Oil & Gas in order to make the same or more money without putting in the extreme hours. Associate degrees and general BAs want cut it either, a high school drop out age 21 with a CDL can make $40-75k (80-100k is possible but not predominate) while a general non Oil & Gas BA is lucky to see $30-45k in the same geographic area. FYI: We're self employed, I only did the fueling hauling to payoff my truck early. I can also trace my family tree back to The House of Aragon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas