Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 06:25 PM

8 posts, read 132,914 times

Advertisements

It seems everyone is talking about North Dakota but it seems Texas has just as many oil jobs or more. I would rather live in Texas than North Dakota anyway.

I currently live in FL and looking to relocate to TX for an oil job. I don't have a CDL license. I'm looking for entry level oil labor work. How hard is it to get an entry level labor oil job in TX with no experience or CDL ?

I know a lot of people go to North Dakota and sleep in there car and usually find a job in a few weeks. Is TX like that ?

I see the housing situation is like North Dakota. Currently in ND housing is getting full up to a 100 miles out to Bismarck from the oil fields. Is it that bad in Texas yet ?

It's always hard to go somewhere without a job or place to stay. Also if you get a oil job to they provide the man camps like ND ?

I'm a clean cut single 39 year old. If anyone could help with a room for rent or a lead on a entry level oil job it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
Frac companies will hire no experience hands. Also check into Water Transfer...they supply water to Frac sites but it's mindless work with lots of hours. As for housing, some companies will supply hotel rooms and or trailers but for the most part you need to find your own place. My best suggestion is a travel trailer/camper.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:47 PM

I'm looking for lots of hours and OT. Do you know what water transfer jobs pay ? Thanks for the reply.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny_utah View Post
I'm looking for lots of hours and OT. Do you know what water transfer jobs pay ? Thanks for the reply.
Water transfer generally pays 9.00-10.00/hr but I talked to a guy the other day who was offered 12.00/hr. As for hrs, put it this way, once you sign on with whom ever, you can kiss your wife and kids good bye lol I actually had to quit because of family medical and the wife never seeing me.

Anyhow, water transfer is mindless. The hardest part is is setting up and tearing down the pipe. It's 10" X 20' aluminum pipe which is light but you have to lay out any where from 100 yrs to 1 mile of it. Once it's laid out, you have to cut your water pumps on when the Frac pumps ate running. That and a guy monitors the water levels when the Frac pumps are pumping. The Frac pumps only run about 30-90 minutes at a time. So you're sitting on your butt 75% of the time waiting on the Frac guys or wireline guys.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:12 PM

Is South Texas the best place to go for oil jobs? Seems like more housing options there than Midland area.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny_utah View Post
Is South Texas the best place to go for oil jobs? Seems like more housing options there than Midland area.
South Texas is new so not sure but based on statics, Midland/Odessa is experiencing major growth compared to the rest of the state. Midland has also ranked top incom in the state and 15th in the nation for a long time.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:02 PM

53 posts, read 214,056 times
Bump because I'm in the same boat as the OP, and would appreciate some info on oil companies in Texas that hire inexperienced people without a CDL.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:58 AM

98 posts, read 341,514 times
just about anywhere in west Texas you can find a job housing is tight im talking real tight im in a company trailor now looking to buy my own. I see ads for rig hands all the time as i drive by these yards. The herd is still going to ND ....why fight the herd? Take it from a guy who was about to move to ND i looked into both for some time. Texas is the way to go for me at least good luck.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
If you can manage to get a CDL, your starting pay will be quite a bit higher and your options much better. You will advance more quickly. In other words, the cost of your CDL will be covered a lot more quickly and you'll be building a career rather than being stuck at the bottom of the totem pole. If you're going to make a career of oilfield services work (which can be very lucrative), invest in yourself by getting your CDL.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:47 PM

53 posts, read 214,056 times
Do any of you think that I could get hired fresh off a CDL school? Based on what I have read here - my chances of getting hired quickly would be to apply in person. The problem with that is housing while I put out applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas