Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:09 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,523,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The best school districts in Texas are in the H. Cy-Fair being number 1

I'd like to know what source is saying Cy-Fair is the best district in Texas.

The high schools at least certainly aren't performing the best statistically.

Search Texas High Schools | US News

40 of the top 100 high schools in Texas are in the DFW area.

I'm not saying that DFW schools are necessarily better, but at worst they break even.

Last edited by ClarenceBodiker; 05-09-2012 at 03:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 06:05 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,878,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I'd like to know what source is saying Cy-Fair is the best district in Texas.

The high schools at least certainly aren't performing the best statistically.

40 of the top 100 high schools in Texas are in the DFW area.

I'm not saying that DFW schools are necessarily better, but at worst they break even.
I counted thirty for Houston in the top 100. DFW is a larger metro though and it is just the top 100. They are even in schools. Those who were saying DFW has better schools also believed school districts follow city limits, which they don't in Texas. If you look at each metro areas top districts, they are the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
That's certainly an opinion.
The right opinion. You can't try to say DFW has better quality control, due to all the small cities, and then try to say it has more character. The strict zoning around here takes away the character. Everything is so manicured and the "bad stuff" hidden. Each city may feel different from other suburbs, but DFW compared to Houston, Houston has more character.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,588,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
The right opinion. You can't try to say DFW has better quality control, due to all the small cities, and then try to say it has more character. The strict zoning around here takes away the character. Everything is so manicured and the "bad stuff" hidden. Each city may feel different from other suburbs, but DFW compared to Houston, Houston has more character.

Agree but Houston could learn a thing or two from DFW about cleaning up. ''Character'' is one thing, but grime & trash is another.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,878,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Agree but Houston could learn a thing or two from DFW about cleaning up. ''Character'' is one thing, but grime & trash is another.
There is plenty of trash in DFW, too. It's just swept under the rug better here. You have to know where it is. In Houston, it's along major streets with the "nice neighborhood" on the other side of the intersection. I do agree that Houston could learn something about "cleaning up", which is what the Management Districts have done. This is where no zoning and large city limits hurt. But Sharpstown, for example, looks much better now than it did five years ago.

I've heard this saying before, too. Houston's worst areas look worse than DFW's worst (agree here), but Houston's best areas look better than DFW's best (also agree here).

Old 05-09-2012, 07:01 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,093,868 times
I like the splits better.
Allows for different personalities that cater to different tastes.

Smaller, autonomous government entities also make accountability and services better.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:03 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,093,868 times
Quote:

If 'character' = 'bad stuff' and low rent people, I'll live without the 'character.'

Btw, I think it's hilarious that dumpy = character in some people's heads.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,345,831 times
Quote:
Actually not true. Cy-Fair, along with Katy, Spring Branch, Fort Bend, Klein, Clear Creek, Pearland ISDs (and more) are all just as good as those you named. Katy, Cy-Fair, and Fort Bend are all larger (student wise...not sure on land area) than every single ISD you listed and they all have similar, if not better scores. Houston ISD is so large that it covers areas that would be similar to Plano (especially around West Side High School, which is like two exits from the Katy area).
Was merely correcting misinformation given by another poster. The statement, "best school districts in Texas are in the H", is not accurate and needed to be challenged.

Cy-Fair is not officially the #1 district in Texas either. After further research, I discovered they won the H-E-B award for school excellence, but I'm not sure how a grocery store chain's methodology falls under the T.E.A.'s criteria.

I also stand by my statements that the DFW school districts I mentioned are consistantly top-rated.

Research for yourself.

Texas Education Agency - Reports

Quote:
I counted thirty for Houston in the top 100. DFW is a larger metro though and it is just the top 100. They are even in schools. Those who were saying DFW has better schools also believed school districts follow city limits, which they don't in Texas. If you look at each metro areas top districts, they are the same.

Should DFW adopt Houston's approach and keep the ugly stuff in open view and hide the nice areas?

What some call "sterile and manicured", others of us consider the people who govern and/or live in the area take pride in their community and maintain it accordingly.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:34 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,063,887 times
Quote:
There is plenty of trash in DFW, too. It's just swept under the rug better here. You have to know where it is. In Houston, it's along major streets with the "nice neighborhood" on the other side of the intersection. I do agree that Houston could learn something about "cleaning up", which is what the Management Districts have done. This is where no zoning and large city limits hurt. But Sharpstown, for example, looks much better now than it did five years ago.

I've heard this saying before, too. Houston's worst areas look worse than DFW's worst (agree here), but Houston's best areas look better than DFW's best (also agree here).

Agree to everything.

I also think people underestimate Houston's metro area uniqueness. While the DFW area is a more multipolar area; it's not as varied as the Houston area is. Galveston, The Woodlands, Inner Loop, Baytown, Sugar Land and more are all uniquely different in terms of landscape, culture and atmosphere.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:54 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,523,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Agree to everything.

I also think people underestimate Houston's metro area uniqueness. While the DFW area is a more multipolar area; it's not as varied as the Houston area is. Galveston, The Woodlands, Inner Loop, Baytown, Sugar Land and more are all uniquely different in terms of landscape, culture and atmosphere.
Maybe to somebody who's from there. From the outside looking in it all feels like Houston. Some parts just feel nicer than others, but i think Galveston is the only unique exception.

Anywho, I want to give Trae the benefit of the doubt and say it wasn't his original intention, but this is starting to feel like the makings of a new smackdown thread reincarnated. If you don't mid, I'm going to step out and quit while we're all ahead.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:07 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,391,272 times
Quote:

You sound kinda bitter.......It almost sound like you are mad because the longer you live here the more you realize the better things about DFW over your beloved Houston...And then you sorta play down the better qualities about DFW as a flaw...hence the title of this thread....Hey it would be alot easier on you if you just admitt to yourself that you like DFW way more than you had planned on liking it......its okay to admit that Dallas is not the sterile hell hole that you wanted to believe it was...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas