Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:59 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderpig View Post
Based on your "requirements", Texas doesn't look like the place for you:

2. There are a few places with a "balance", but they're the larger cities (which based on 1. would be an issue for you)
4./5. Texas has extremes of weather, mostly during the summer. If you want moderate weather all year, you'll probably have to look at California or Virginia.
6. Texas is in the Bible belt, and worse, there are lots of hyprocritical folks who call themselves Christians, but bear no resemblance to the man featured in the New Testament.
How much do you know about the Man featured in the New Testament? No saying I know all that much about Him either in the whole scheme of things, but your surety that you do, prompts me to ask the question.

Are you a Christian? I hasten to add you don't owe me an answer to the question, but it stands for the simple reason when one brings up Jesus Christ as a point of comparrison to human failure/hypocricy, then it is valid to ask if the inquirer is a believer him/herself.

If you say you are (a Christian), then there is no reason for me to disbelieve it at all. I accept that...and it is none of my business anyway, beyond the tone in which you bring up the whole issue of Texas being in the Bible Belt....

Yes, Texas is in the Bible Belt. And there are lots of hypocrictical Christians who probably don't bear much resemblence to the Man in the Bible. On the other hand, there are many, many, many, more, in Texas/South who know full well they lack in Christ-like virtures. It comes with the territory of that all of us lack in that regard. But they try their best...to give freely to the less-fortunate, feed the hungry, give to charity...and will stop and help you fix your flat on a rainy night. They are the salt of the earth...

On the other hand, if you aren't?. Welllll, it seems to me (FWIW), you actually acknowledge Christians should be held to a higher moral standard than you recognize yourself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 09:33 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
Try Belton, Texas, google map zip code > 76513

Belton Welcomes CGI Group Inc. - KXXV-TV News Channel 25 - Central Texas News and Weather for Waco, Temple, Killeen |
Quote:
CGI's new center, an approximately 40,000 s.f. facility, will provide world-class IT systems development, maintenance and integration services to U.S. federal, state and local governments, as well as commercial enterprises. Services include application development, maintenance and delivery; testing and quality assurance; network engineering and design; data center support; and back-office business functions.
Belton is about as close to no where as you can get and still reasonably near civilization. And about 45 minutes north of Austin. And about 165 miles from The Woodlands.

Google directions from zip 76513 to zip 77381 < Belton to The Woodlands

The Congressional Rep from the Belton area is Republican but most people around there don't really want to know about your politics, or your religion, or how you part your hair. And Fort Hood is about 15 miles away.

Last edited by Willsson; 05-12-2012 at 09:45 AM..

Old 05-12-2012, 09:43 AM

198 posts, read 444,701 times
I'm a minority myself, but I can respect that the fact that you don't want to be around minorities. Everyone has their preferences.

I think Texas would be a weird state to choose though because it's a minority majority state. And the minorities are spread out pretty much all over the state. I don't think Texas has any predominantly white cities like Portland, OR (or Portland, ME) or Madison, WI, etc. I think maybe the Midwest is maybe more where you need to look, though the winters there are cold. Or the Northwest. Maybe look into Omaha, Nebraska. Colorado Springs, CO might be another good location for you, milder than MT, relatively few minorities, tends to be politically conservative, good economy. You might also like some of the Appalachian region cities, where there's relatively few minorities: Pittsburgh, Knoxville, etc.

Last edited by Locutus of Board; 05-12-2012 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 07:06 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
You do realize Texas borders Mexico, right? And that at one time, Texas was part of Mexico? People of Mexican heritage, whether new immigrants or here for generations, have always been a part of Texas and it's culture. They are part of what makes Texas, Texas.

As far as not speaking Spanish, plenty of us born and bred Texans don't either. However, learning a little bit can make things a bit easier.

According to the US Census Bureau, White persons non Hispanic as of 2010 is 45%. Texas QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau That means 55% of the population would be made up of all those minorities.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
You do realize Texas borders Mexico, right? And that at one time, Texas was part of Mexico? People of Mexican heritage, whether new immigrants or here for generations, have always been a part of Texas and it's culture. They are part of what makes Texas, Texas.

As far as not speaking Spanish, plenty of us born and bred Texans don't either. However, learning a little bit can make things a bit easier.

According to the US Census Bureau, White persons non Hispanic as of 2010 is 45%. Texas QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau That means 55% of the population would be made up of all those minorities.
I read this post and all I could think of is food...nice Hot and spicy Mexican food

Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I read this post and all I could think of is food...nice Hot and spicy Mexican food
Yeah, Texas just wouldn't be Texas without wonderful Tex-Mex food!

Old 05-14-2012, 08:37 AM

405 posts, read 822,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus of Board View Post
I'm a minority myself, but I can respect that the fact that you don't want to be around minorities. Everyone has their preferences.

I think Texas would be a weird state to choose though because it's a minority majority state. And the minorities are spread out pretty much all over the state. I don't think Texas has any predominantly white cities like Portland, OR (or Portland, ME) or Madison, WI, etc. I think maybe the Midwest is maybe more where you need to look, though the winters there are cold. Or the Northwest. Maybe look into Omaha, Nebraska. Colorado Springs, CO might be another good location for you, milder than MT, relatively few minorities, tends to be politically conservative, good economy. You might also like some of the Appalachian region cities, where there's relatively few minorities: Pittsburgh, Knoxville, etc.
Sounds like Vidor, TX would be the PERFECT, conservative, minority-free Texas town for the OP,

Old 05-14-2012, 10:05 AM

563 posts, read 910,259 times
The guy should just go to the Woodlands and check it out. It's just far enough away from Houston to where it wouldn't feel huge and it is PREDOMINATELY WHITE. You can check out all of Texas from there and it is within driving distance to a beach (which he also mentioned). I think you will find more like-minded folk there.

I don't understand what's wrong with this guy stating what he wants? Isn't there a post on the Houston forum asking for a predominantly Black upscale-neighborhood? Nobody told that guy to check out Africa, did they?

One thing that can not be reiterated enough are the summers. You are used to a semi-arid climate and maybe two months of real heat. Given the summer temps you are used to, and especially moving anywhere around Houston, you will find our summers last almost 7 months. Then you have to add in the thick humidity and nighttime temps that sometimes reach 80+. There will be NO cool, dry Montana 50 degree night temps in the summer to cool you off from a day of heat; the humidity will top 90% every night (70-78 dew points) whether you like it or not.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 AM

There's nothing wrong with him looking for that. I just find it strange that he would look for that in a place like Texas, which I think most folks in this country realize is going to have a large Hispanic population.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:59 AM

563 posts, read 910,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
There's nothing wrong with him looking for that. I just find it strange that he would look for that in a place like Texas, which I think most folks in this country realize is going to have a large Hispanic population.
Or we figured most folks.... A lot of people, believe it or not, still see this state as a predominantly white state that kicks everyone of color to the curb. They see our battle with illegal immigration and feel like we are still somehow back in the slave mentality when it is really the exact opposite. It is the many races and cultural backgrounds that make this state truly special and unlike any other (especially Houston , which the OP will soon find out). But I guess it's to each their own and I will try to help regardless of their view points as long as they are respectful about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas