Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 08:11 AM

4 posts, read 10,447 times

Advertisements

My teenager is starting college in fall and I'm trying to help look for an affordable apartment that allows cats in college station or within 10 miles. What are the good and safe areas and which should you stay away from?
Any input is very much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas08 View Post
My teenager is starting college in fall and I'm trying to help look for an affordable apartment that allows cats in college station or within 10 miles. What are the good and safe areas and which should you stay away from?
There are MANY apartment complexes in CS. Most of College Station is safe - I can't really think of an area that I would be uncomfortable with. Most of the apartments are very student focused - they are on the shuttle bus routes etc. I can't tell you which allow cats.

Old 05-18-2012, 11:59 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,390 times
Quote:
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...rtments/85784/

These are the apartments I lived in my last 3 yrs in College Station while attending Texas A&M

The rents were pretty low, they allowed pets, nice amenities etc. The staff was very cool too

I would recommend them.... they are on the shuttle too... easy way to get to school without driving

Old 05-18-2012, 12:12 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
I lived in those apartments. Over thirty years ago. Still a popular place.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:38 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,758,253 times
My son lived in 2818 Place, at 1300 Harvey Mitchell Pkwy for 2 years. They are furnished student apartments. The kind where each student has their own individual lease and they are only responsible for their portion of the lease. They will also put you with a roommate if you want one. I know they allow pets, because the girls next door to him had a dog. I have no idea what a one bedroom would rent for.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:51 PM

8 posts, read 22,222 times
As others have said, there are many affordable options in the BCS area. I generally found much better deals on rentals from property management companies than big apartment complexes. The trade off is that the PM places may not be as student-oriented and often don't pre-lease as early. There are quite a few fourplex type places behind Northgate (walking/biking distance to campus) that rent in the $400-600/month range. Living on campus is also a great option for cheap rent and meeting people in the first year, although of course he couldn't bring the cat. Good luck!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,758,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amayan View Post
As others have said, there are many affordable options in the BCS area. I generally found much better deals on rentals from property management companies than big apartment complexes. The trade off is that the PM places may not be as student-oriented and often don't pre-lease as early. There are quite a few fourplex type places behind Northgate (walking/biking distance to campus) that rent in the $400-600/month range. Living on campus is also a great option for cheap rent and meeting people in the first year, although of course he couldn't bring the cat. Good luck!
During the 4 years my son was at A&M (he just graduated), the one year he spent living on campus was the most expensive. Also, on campus housing fills up very early. Since there are not even enough dorms to house the freshman class each year those rooms fill early, especially since some dorms have been torn down and are being rebuilt. I spoke to a women about 2 months ago whose daughter was attending A&M in the fall, and she could not get on campus housing.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 AM

4 posts, read 10,447 times
Thank you for all your responses, we've been narrowing it down to some places that "fit the bill" and also allow cats and will be touring them in the next couple of weeks. My main concern is the safety which is why I feel a little more comfortable with the student-oriented ones. Not sure if they are indeed safer places to live at though.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:12 AM

7 posts, read 30,196 times
Quote:
Thank you for all your responses, we've been narrowing it down to some places that "fit the bill" and also allow cats and will be touring them in the next couple of weeks. My main concern is the safety which is why I feel a little more comfortable with the student-oriented ones. Not sure if they are indeed safer places to live at though.
Hi-

I'm headed there in the fall for grad school and although we are renting a house, my wife and I used the Trulia site to search for areas to live in because it has a feature that lets you look at crime stats. There are a few other sites online like spotcrime that provide crime maps. Generally speaking, Bryan has more crime than College Station. Between those sites and just driving around town, we got a good feel for the neighborhoods.

Good luck,
T.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: