Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is East Texas the Deep South?
Yes 175 73.53%
No 63 26.47%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:10 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times

Advertisements

If Kathryn put a gun to my head (which she probably wants to do ), I'd give her Northeast Texas, simply because she lives there and I never have. Not that I've changed my position on the issue, but if the woman says her corner of the state ain't the Deep South then I'll no longer argue with her. Deep and Southeast Texas are MINE, however.

Okay, I'm done being silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 11:12 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
If Kathryn put a gun to my head (which she probably wants to do ), I'd give her Northeast Texas, simply because she lives there and I never have. Not that I've changed my position on the issue, but if the woman says her corner of the state ain't the Deep South then I'll no longer argue with her. Deep and Southeast Texas are MINE, however.

Okay, I'm done being silly.
I don't want to put a gun to your head, Nairobi - you haven't bothered me at all. In fact, I've enjoyed your posts.

No need to give me Northeast Texas - I already hold ALL of East Texas (and Texas in general) deep in my affections! Texas has accepted me with open arms, and I love it - all of it. Even "Deep Southeast Texas."

Except for Houston.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't want to put a gun to your head, Nairobi - you haven't bothered me at all. In fact, I've enjoyed your posts.

No need to give me Northeast Texas - I already hold ALL of East Texas (and Texas in general) deep in my affections! Texas has accepted me with open arms, and I love it - all of it. Even "Deep Southeast Texas."

Except for Houston.
You let us get to you, huh? Yeah, you gotta have tough skin and a free spirit for H-town.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
No problem, and I also like to add that even East Texans consider themselves East Texans first before Texans if that make sense. The reason I state because we always emphasize the east Texas before we mention a city. Not to mention it's so many small towns and cities close to each other esp. In the Tyler/Marshall/ Longview area that it's one big community. Nowhere else have a heard a region in Texas put a emphasis on a region quite like East Texas. I also get that same mentality with Louisiana just as much as Texans. Louisiana first southern 2nd. But I get what your saying about Miss,Alabama,Georgia and how they identify with south first and foremost .

Also this is my first time hearing about cowboy churches . Lol, learn something new everyday. Even though when I go back home to Longview I probably see more bass fishing,dirty white college hats w/ beer caps on the lids, deer and wild hog hunting style wardrobe then I do cowboys. Matter fact I can't recall me seeing too many cowboys in Texas period. I've known people to own horses but not actually be a cowboy. I know they exist out there somewhere . Lol

Also I'll add(cuz I love talking about east Texas) but this region help shape the sound of blues. It was 3 regions that help shape blues. That was the Mississippi Delta,the piedmont, and east Texas.Also east Texas help create the sound of ragtime and had alt of influential gospel singers to come out this region.

I think East Texans do this because as the region with no truely large urban area, if you're not careful people will lump East Texas in with the rest of Texas which straight up has a different culture to it. Maybe not a completely different culture, but its distinguishable enough. Tyler isnt the Dallas area. And Longview feels like a hybrid between Shreveport and Dallas, with more of an influence from Shreveport. The Marshall that I spent half of my childhood in is virtually a suburb of Shreveport, or in most people's eyes: Shreveport is virtually a suburb of Marshall.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:18 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
I wonder where TexasReb is at. He's usually chimed in by now.
LOL Hey Nairobi...(and all the rest of my "allies" on this topic!), and yep, you are right; I have always usually chimed in at this stage of the game. As it is though, alas, we have been on vacation out of state for the last week and a half, and I just now had a chance to get on line, and check out the forum!
Hell, in fact,.., I am writing from her laptop in a room in Kansas. (and might explain the typos!) LOL

It will be a couple of days before I get back home and to a real computer, but believe me I am anxious to join the discussion/debate..

Quote:
Unlike THL, Miss Kat atleast made an attempt to support her opinion, so I definitely give her credit for that. Bless her heart.
And ditto and for sure! (more on that in the next post). You are exactly right. Like I mentioned, I just now got an opportunity to read all the numerous posts on this thread since I last saw it (last Thursday morning, June 30), so just gotta bite the bit and wait a few more days to really read and reply in more detail in both regards.

But to say? GREAT stuff posted! On both sides. It is no secret which side of the creek I stand on. But like you say, Nairobi, unlike THL (who makes a big public production of letting the Texas forum know she has me on "ignore"...as if I give a dam anyway), KathronAragon at least backs up her opinions with sourced facts.

I don't agree with lots of the historical/cultural interpretation of the said facts, but at least she provides them.

The other poster in question never,..beyond a somewhat supercilious pronouncement that she is from East Texas (and this and that and the other,) so therefore .knows more about it than.everyone one else). And that THAT oughta smugly settle everything to everyones satisfaction! LOL

Old 07-07-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
You let us get to you, huh? Yeah, you gotta have tough skin and a free spirit for H-town.
Oh, I've got very tough skin, and a free spirit. I just don't like Houston. Don't ask me why - I don't want to start a Houston bashing spree.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I think East Texans do this because as the region with no truely large urban area, if you're not careful people will lump East Texas in with the rest of Texas which straight up has a different culture to it. Maybe not a completely different culture, but its distinguishable enough. Tyler isnt the Dallas area. And Longview feels like a hybrid between Shreveport and Dallas, with more of an influence from Shreveport. The Marshall that I spent half of my childhood in is virtually a suburb of Shreveport, or in most people's eyes: Shreveport is virtually a suburb of Marshall.
Truer words were never spoken.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
Shreveport is just....yeah.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, I've got very tough skin, and a free spirit. I just don't like Houston. Don't ask me why - I don't want to start a Houston bashing spree.
-flashes you the wink and the gun-

Old 07-07-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL Hey Nairobi...(and all the rest of my "allies" on this topic!), and yep, you are right; I have always usually chimed in at this stage of the game. As it is though, alas, we have been on vacation out of state for the last week and a half, and I just now had a chance to get on line, and check out the forum!
Hell, in fact,.., I am writing from her laptop in a room in Kansas. (and might explain the typos!) LOL

It will be a couple of days before I get back home and to a real computer, but believe me I am anxious to join the discussion/debate..

And ditto and for sure! (more on that in the next post). You are exactly right. Like I mentioned, I just now got an opportunity to read all the numerous posts on this thread since I last saw it (last Thursday morning, June 30), so just gotta bite the bit and wait a few more days to really read and reply in more detail in both regards.

But to say? GREAT stuff posted! On both sides. It is no secret which side of the creek I stand on. But like you say, Nairobi, unlike THL (who makes a big public production of letting the Texas forum know she has me on "ignore"...as if I give a dam anyway), KathronAragon at least backs up her opinions with sourced facts.

I don't agree with lots of the historical/cultural interpretation of the said facts, but at least she provides them.

The other poster in question never,..beyond a somewhat supercilious pronouncement that she is from East Texas (and this and that and the other,) so therefore .knows more about it than.everyone one else). And that THAT oughta smugly settle everything to everyones satisfaction! LOL

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas