Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is East Texas the Deep South?
Yes 175 73.53%
No 63 26.47%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 03:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Exactly! As one who will not live in any part of the so-called "South", deep or otherwise, it's all in good fun. As far as TX goes, even Abilene is too far east for me, LOL!!

I'm just a born and bred desert rat!
There's something very appealing about West Texas though. I can't imagine living there, but I do love that huge sky and those sweeping vistas. I love that solitary feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Kathy is also from southern Louisiana, I believe. I think I remember her saying that she didn't like Houston, but loved Fort Worth. That didn't add up, to me. What true southerner (especially a Louisianan) dislikes the Bayou City but loves Cowtown? Could it be someone who has always had this preconceived and over-romanticized perception of Texas, who sees it how she wants it to be, instead of what it actually is? Fort Worth caters to what many outsiders want Texas to be, while Houston practically avoids it.

In new environments, I believe our minds are programmed to take immediate notice of what's different and to overlook that which is normal. It's completely believable that, upon moving to ET, she instantly realized what was uniquely " Texan" and ignored what was blatantly "deep southern", because she was already accustomed to the latter.
What do you mean "doesn't add up?"

It's just a personal preference. I don't like Houston traffic, I don't like the way it's laid out, I think parts of it stink to high heaven, and sorry, but I think it's a pretty ugly city. It's urban sprawl for miles in every direction and it's just a personal opinion of mine - I don't care for it.

I like Fort Worth because in my opinion it has prettier neighborhoods, less traffic and better traffic flow, and I love it's arts and cultural center, as well as the history of the stockyards and the "gateway to the West." Once again, just personal opinion. Plus, I have many happy memories there because my husband and I go there often (we have family there). It has NOTHING to do with some over romanticized idea of Texas.

To be honest with you, I never thought I would settle in Texas - and still don't consider myself settled here. We're considering a move to West Virginia, in fact. I mean, I LIKE Texas but I'm not in love with it, if you get my drift. I appreciate all it has to offer, which is a lot, and I've enjoyed my time here - and who knows, I may live and die here. But - it's certainly not romanticized in my mind. Hate to break it to you, but there are many places I much prefer over Texas.

Of course when I moved here, I immediately noticed the differences but - once again, I hate to tell you this - it wasn't in the most positive sense of the word. I noticed things were MISSING from my "deep South experience" and until I discovered the uniquely Texas elements, I was definitely homesick for what I knew to be "the Deep South" and had yet to fill that void with the good things Texas has to offer. I've had other friends and business acquaintances, and family, move to East Texas from other Southern locales over the years, and they felt the same way.

Over time, I grew to love East Texas, and Texas in general. But whenever I drive east, the further I go, the more at home I feel.

By the way, I was born in New Orleans, lived there a few years, and am very familiar with the area because I have immediate family there and we go there often - but I spent the majority of my life (a travelin' woman!) in Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. Throw in some Mid Atlantic groove - VA, NC, and MD, and a dose of Germany and Japan, and there you have it.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:53 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
No. I've never been to SC.

So what's good in that area as far as southern cooking?
My favorites were chicken bog and Charleston red rice. The former might remind you of a thick chicken gumbo, while the latter is essentially the Carolina version of jambalaya. Like Cajun/Creole cooks, they're not afraid to use more than one kind of meat for a single dish.

Of course there's the very popular shrimp and grits, but aside from the local dishes, Charleston even puts a spin on the more universal southern dishes.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:59 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There's something very appealing about West Texas though. I can't imagine living there, but I do love that huge sky and those sweeping vistas. I love that solitary feel.
I've always loved it, and always will. I'm so homesick for Texas right now, and I'm planning a trip down very soon. I was in Dallas in May, but it's not the same, though I was glad to see "Welcome to Texas" again for a bit!

Old 08-18-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:

It's just a personal preference. I don't like Houston traffic, I don't like the way it's laid out, I think parts of it stink to high heaven, and sorry, but I think it's a pretty ugly city. It's urban sprawl for miles in every direction and it's just a personal opinion of mine - I don't care for it.

I like Fort Worth because in my opinion it has prettier neighborhoods, less traffic and better traffic flow, and I love it's arts and cultural center, as well as the history of the stockyards and the "gateway to the West." Once again, just personal opinion. Plus, I have many happy memories there because my husband and I go there often (we have family there). It has NOTHING to do with some over romanticized idea of Texas.

To be honest with you, I never thought I would settle in Texas - and still don't consider myself settled here. We're considering a move to West Virginia, in fact. I mean, I LIKE Texas but I'm not in love with it, if you get my drift. I appreciate all it has to offer, which is a lot, and I've enjoyed my time here - and who knows, I may live and die here. But - it's certainly not romanticized in my mind. Hate to break it to you, but there are many places I much prefer over Texas.

Of course when I moved here, I immediately noticed the differences but - once again, I hate to tell you this - it wasn't in the most positive sense of the word. I noticed things were MISSING from my "deep South experience" and until I discovered the uniquely Texas elements, I was definitely homesick for what I knew to be "the Deep South" and had yet to fill that void with the good things Texas has to offer. I've had other friends and business acquaintances, and family, move to East Texas from other Southern locales over the years, and they felt the same way.

Over time, I grew to love East Texas, and Texas in general. But whenever I drive east, the further I go, the more at home I feel.

By the way, I was born in New Orleans, lived there a few years, and am very familiar with the area because I have immediate family there and we go there often - but I spent the majority of my life (a travelin' woman!) in Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina. Throw in some Mid Atlantic groove - VA, NC, and MD, and a dose of Germany and Japan, and there you have it.
Oh, you're just not a city girl, that's all.

Without being a solidly Deep South city, Houston is essentially the most densified and urban manifestation of the Deep South. Build a major city anywhere along the Gulf Coast, and it will look like Houston; even much of Greater New Orleans, outside of the core.

You can't dislike Houston without disliking a large piece of what you call "home".

Old 08-18-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
My favorites were chicken bog and Charleston red rice. The former might remind you of a thick chicken gumbo, while the latter is essentially the Carolina version of jambalaya. Like Cajun/Creole cooks, they're not afraid to use more than one kind of meat for a single dish.

Of course there's the very popular shrimp and grits, but aside from the local dishes, Charleston even puts a spin on the more universal southern dishes.
I like Cajun because of the spice/red pepper/cayenne that is in so many dishes. I always try local dishes when I visit an area. MS food was just too bland and too greasy most of the time.

I've had shrimp and grits--with lots of cheese and plenty of spice...really good eating!

In Louisiana, there was a spice that I couldn't put my finger on, and didn't like it all that much, as it was so prevalent. I'm guessing it was file powder....never could figure out what else it could be, as all of the others (basil, oregano, parsley, garlic, bay leaves, et al) were familiar.

Maybe sassafrass...?

Old 08-18-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:

...I take it you don't like Dallas, either (although, no one will blame you for that )

Old 08-18-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Oh, you're just not a city girl, that's all.

Without being a solidly Deep South city, Houston is essentially the most densified and urban manifestation of the Deep South. Build a major city anywhere along the Gulf Coast, and it will look like Houston; even much of Greater New Orleans, outside of the core.

You can't dislike Houston without disliking a large piece of what you call "home".
Well, to be honest, I don't call any part of Texas home - and that includes Houston and Dallas. I mean, it's where I LIVE and I love my own HOUSE and home in Texas - but it's not "down home" to me, if you get what I mean.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Well, to be honest, I don't call any part of Texas home - and that includes Houston and Dallas. I mean, it's where I LIVE and I love my own HOUSE and home in Texas - but it's not "down home" to me, if you get what I mean.
Completely understand!

No matter where else I live, Texas WILL always be home, period.

So what IS "home" to you?

Old 08-18-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
By "home" I meant the Deep South; the floor of the DS, specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas