Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is East Texas the Deep South?
Yes 175 73.53%
No 63 26.47%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 11:10 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by themosthated View Post
*Americans. Off topic slightly but this needed to be clarified.
No I had it right the first time. ENSLAVED AFRICANS. At that time they were considered property purchased or kidnapped from Africa or from the colonies in the Caribbean's (who also of course originated in Africa). My ancestors weren't granted citizenship till the 14th Amendment and that was AFTER the Civil War. Let's not get caught up in semantics.

Maybe you should brush up on your history and read the Dred Scott v. Sandford decision where the UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT ruled that enslaved people WERE NOT CITIZENS of THE UNITED STATES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 01:58 PM

573 posts, read 336,298 times
Quote:
Citizenship is just a piece of paper, and even if that weren't the case it still wouldn't make them Africans, technically speaking.

The nationality of these people was American, and these are the facts. It's not just semantics but that they deserve to be recognized for what they were.
Ummm...wow. Just wow.

Well, I guess all those immigrants crossing the border every day are US citizens as soon as they set foot on US soil. Thanks for clearing that up!

Old 12-22-2022, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Citizenship is just a piece of paper, and even if that weren't the case it still wouldn't make them Africans, technically speaking.

The nationality of these people was American, and these are the facts. It's not just semantics but that they deserve to be recognized for what they were.
No the United States Supreme Court ruled otherwise. You can't just make up the rules as you see fit. The law was THE LAW. I mean if that's the case than there's no such thing as an immigrant. As soon as you step on this soil your an AMERICAN and that's the bottom line. If I go to Canada than I'm a Canadian. Now believing they deserve to be recognized as Americans and what they were considered by LAW during that time are 2 different completely things.

Also another historical fact, the few times we saw those enslaved people identify themselves they didn't really identify themselves as American. That concept largely came about after the CIVIL WAR. Some identified themselves as simply FREE PEOPLE, some identified themselves as slaves. Some even identified themselves with the ethnic group they derived from out of Africa for a short period here in America. You even had FREE Black people such as Richard Allen and Absalom Jones that identified as simply AFRICAN back in the late 1700s. And we know this because they created organization such as the FREE AFRICAN SOCIETY and later the African Methodist Episcopal church.

Identity during chattel slavery was a lot more complicated than you think. You're using 2022 glasses to try to paint a narrative. I'm speaking in historical context. Get out your feelings.

Old 12-22-2022, 06:46 PM

573 posts, read 336,298 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. The Slave Trade Act of 1794 barred enslaved Africans from entering the United States, which means that in 1860 virtually all black slaves would not have been immigrants but American-born nationals. Just because their citizenship had yet to be honored doesn't mean they weren't in fact American.
Wrong, try again. 1794 banned American ships from bringing slaves. Non-American ships continued to bring slaves. When importation of slaves was banned in the 1800s, slaves were brought to Spanish Florida and the Republic of Texas. Neither became a state until the mid 1800s. Then slaves were still illegally smuggled into the US through Galveston and Houston and other ports away from the east coast.

As an aside, some posters on here still consider children of immigrants (no matter black or Hispanic) born on US soil to not be US
citizens.

Old 12-22-2022, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion. The Slave Trade Act of 1794 barred enslaved Africans from entering the United States, which means that in 1860 virtually all black slaves would not have been immigrants but American-born nationals. Just because their citizenship had yet to be honored doesn't mean they weren't in fact American.
How convenient you acknowledge that law when it benefits your argument but chose to ignore the Dred Scott case in the same sentence.

But let me brush you up on some more history. There was a ban on the importation of slaves passed in 1808. While majority of enslaved people in America came from natural birthing and breeding, Americans still engaged in the Trans-Atlantic slave trade illegally.

The last known slave ship brought to America was the Clotilda which arrived to Mobile Bay, Alabama around 1859 to 1860. Matter fact some of the survivors of that slave shipped lived into the 1930s. I don't know why your so scared of the word AFRICA.

Old 12-23-2022, 05:00 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
*Americans. Off topic slightly but this needed to be clarified.
Both are wrong, they were not called Africans or Americans

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas