Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,917,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I haven't been overly impressed with either What-a-Buger or In-and-Out. Both are okay, just not that appealing to my taste buds.

For a fast food burger I prefer Smashburger. Unfortunately it has not made great inroads into Texas at this point. I used to go to one in Denver all the time before moving to Texas. The nearest one to me in the Dallas area is twenty miles away. If I'm going to have to drive that far and increase the cost, then I'd just as soon go to Twisted Root (at least two locations in Dallas metro) which is a sit down, and they don't start cooking your burger until you order it--and is better than all three fast food burgers.

Smashburger also offers a great grilled hot dog and seasoned fries.
Heart attack on a bun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 03:30 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,076,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I haven't been overly impressed with either What-a-Buger or In-and-Out. Both are okay, just not that appealing to my taste buds.

For a fast food burger I prefer Smashburger. Unfortunately it has not made great inroads into Texas at this point. I used to go to one in Denver all the time before moving to Texas. The nearest one to me in the Dallas area is twenty miles away. If I'm going to have to drive that far and increase the cost, then I'd just as soon go to Twisted Root (at least two locations in Dallas metro) which is a sit down, and they don't start cooking your burger until you order it--and is better than all three fast food burgers.

Smashburger also offers a great grilled hot dog and seasoned fries.
Theres a couple in Ft Worth now, and Ive been once. Not bad, but more expensive and closer in price to 5 Guys. Not really the same market, although In-N-Out compares well with them for a few bucks less.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Even Sonic blows In N Out away not kidding.

Don't get me wrong, I do like to eat there when ever I'm in Dallas, but it can't begin to compare to a Jucy's Hamburger & fries in East Texas or a Texas Burger on I-45 between Dallas & Houston.

We simply raise our cattle better here in Texas IMO.

Ive always heard that the best beef was from the northern plains states and California. Corn fed beef.

You need to know that mustard doesnt belong on a burger! Hides all the flavor, all you taste is mustard. No to Texas Burger.

Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamark View Post
I always enjoyed whataburger in SAT, as well as chick-fil-a. I like in-n-out fries however, something about watching them make 'em fresh right there...

It is comforting to know that when you walk in to In-N-Out, your fries are still in the form of a potato!

Old 02-10-2013, 04:11 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,681,110 times
Default Heart Attack????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Heart attack on a bun.
Excuse me, Matt. I thought that's what this whole thread is about---just a difference in preference for arriving at it!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,361,292 times
The combative tone and nature of the OP's initial post solves the much discussed riddle of "Why are so many Texans less than welcoming to transplants?"

To be fair, most Texans are quite friendly, and will go out their way to accommodate people and make them feel welcome. This becomes difficult when people like the OP preface everything with "But in California...." Here is a news flash, Texas is not California. California has things that make it very unique, and interesting. So does Texas. Texans may bristle a bit when you start everything with "But in California..." This isn't California, and if California was such a utopia, why aren't you still there? Not a "get out" jab, but an important question. If things were so rosy in CA, then why are so many Californians now living in Texas?

To make things easy for yourself, I would suggest trying to fit in to a small degree. Start by not beginning everything you say with "But, in California..." Then make an attempt to fit into your local surroundings. Not remold you new location in the image of the place you left. That's sort of how things work. I am sure the OP would not appreciate nomadic swarms of mid-westerners trying to revamp the Cali coast into the new Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, or Indiana. Same here in Texas.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,557,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
The combative tone and nature of the OP's initial post solves the much discussed riddle of "Why are so many Texans less than welcoming to transplants?"

To be fair, most Texans are quite friendly, and will go out their way to accommodate people and make them feel welcome. This becomes difficult when people like the OP preface everything with "But in California...." Here is a news flash, Texas is not California. California has things that make it very unique, and interesting. So does Texas. Texans may bristle a bit when you start everything with "But in California..." This isn't California, and if California was such a utopia, why aren't you still there? Not a "get out" jab, but an important question. If things were so rosy in CA, then why are so many Californians now living in Texas?

To make things easy for yourself, I would suggest trying to fit in to a small degree. Start by not beginning everything you say with "But, in California..." Then make an attempt to fit into your local surroundings. Not remold you new location in the image of the place you left. That's sort of how things work. I am sure the OP would not appreciate nomadic swarms of mid-westerners trying to revamp the Cali coast into the new Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, or Indiana. Same here in Texas.
I swear to gawd, I would reply to this post in "quote" boxes, except it is so good I would not want to break it up. In other words, it is one of those STANDING OVATION posts, that was so well put that to pick it apart would be to, essentially, totally "mess it up".

Great Job!

About the only thing I can add to this is just a repetition of something I have said quite a bit before. In a nutshell? It just must be a West Coast/Yankee thing that provokes a "superiority complex" which translates into them moving down here to Texas/South to find a job...but want to turn us into the same wasteland they ruined and fled and turned theirs into.

When I think on that one? Well, hell, I honest to gawd don't think there are enough humor/sarcastic/ironic terms in the English language to get across just how ridiculous and silly and clueless it makes them sound.

Uhhhh? Texas/South to California/Yankee? We don't give a fiddler's damn what you think about how you did it there. Further? If you don't like it how we do it here? Then take your likes and shove 'em on up the line...or at least across the Mason-Dixon! Southwest Airlines or Delta is always ready when you are.

With all that said? I truly, truly, don't mean to be rude to anyone. I know sometimes I can be a little "hotheaded", and regret some of the thing I say in a heated moment. I have no problems with extending a sincere apology, if there is one coming. And yeah, sometimes there are...

And goshamighty, I am as accepting and believing as anyone that west coasters and northerners, can become, for sure, the fiercest partisans of Texas/South as that ever are. I have worked with them and think the world of them as sincere and good friends and neighbors.

There is an old saying, and I know most natives have heard it: If Your Heart Aint In Texas? Then Get Your A$$ OUT!

That is not displaying bad manners to newcomers on our part...but just letting them know they are in OUR home now. They need to learn to be respectful. It is called Texas/Southern GOOD MANNERS.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post

It totally agree, but that doesnt negate the fact that In-N-Out makes the best fast food burger!?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:33 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,675,757 times
Lightbulb TexRebbbbbb! Droppin' Knowledge Like Rain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I swear to gawd, I would reply to this post in "quote" boxes, except it is so good I would not want to break it up. In other words, it is one of those STANDING OVATION posts, that was so well put that to pick it apart would be to, essentially, totally "mess it up".

Great Job!

About the only thing I can add to this is just a repetition of something I have said quite a bit before. In a nutshell? It just must be a West Coast/Yankee thing that provokes a "superiority complex" which translates into them moving down here to Texas/South to find a job...but want to turn us into the same wasteland they ruined and fled and turned theirs into.

When I think on that one? Well, hell, I honest to gawd don't think there are enough humor/sarcastic/ironic terms in the English language to get across just how ridiculous and silly and clueless it makes them sound.

Uhhhh? Texas/South to California/Yankee? We don't give a fiddler's damn what you think about how you did it there. Further? If you don't like it how we do it here? Then take your likes and shove 'em on up the line...or at least across the Mason-Dixon! Southwest Airlines or Delta is always ready when you are.

With all that said? I truly, truly, don't mean to be rude to anyone. I know sometimes I can be a little "hotheaded", and regret some of the thing I say in a heated moment. I have no problems with extending a sincere apology, if there is one coming. And yeah, sometimes there are...

And goshamighty, I am as accepting and believing as anyone that west coasters and northerners, can become, for sure, the fiercest partisans of Texas/South as that ever are. I have worked with them and think the world of them as sincere and good friends and neighbors.

There is an old saying, and I know most natives have heard it: If Your Heart Aint In Texas? Then Get Your A$$ OUT!

That is not displaying bad manners to newcomers on our part...but just letting them know they are in OUR home now. They need to learn to be respectful. It is called Texas/Southern GOOD MANNERS.
You just said it all, sir...and this applies not just to Texas, but anywhere else for that matter

And I'll back you up here, in bold, for emphasis:

Newsflash...you are NOT in (fill in the blank city/state) anymore...it's OK to miss things form where you were, but you're LEAVING where you were for a REASON...that means it's time to become a good neighbor/ friend/resident of WHERE YOU'RE GOING...nothing torques me and a whole lotta other folk like hearing somebody say 'Well, that's not how we did it in ________... or 'so-and-so was SO MUCH better in ______'
The fact of the matter is, you're somewhere else now, and the LAST thing you should do is mouth off about how something sucks, and we poor mortals haven't LIVED til we've tasted the 'California Bat-Guano Burger' or some such nonsense

Nuff said

Old 02-11-2013, 04:04 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,848,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Ive always heard that the best beef was from the northern plains states and California. Corn fed beef.
Corn is used to get an animal fat really fast. They feed corn to cattle in those feed lots, just to get them to market faster. The better beef is grass fed. Fatten them up the way they have been fed for centuries. Leaner meat with a better flavor.
The grass-fed vs. grain-fed beef debate - CNN.com
Beef: Grass-fed vs. corn-fed - Omaha.com
Is Grass-Fed Beef Better For You Than Corn-Fed Beef? : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas