Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 04:58 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Corn is used to get an animal fat really fast. They feed corn to cattle in those feed lots, just to get them to market faster. The better beef is grass fed. Fatten them up the way they have been fed for centuries. Leaner meat with a better flavor.
The grass-fed vs. grain-fed beef debate - CNN.com
Beef: Grass-fed vs. corn-fed - Omaha.com
Is Grass-Fed Beef Better For You Than Corn-Fed Beef? : NPR

I'll take your word for it, but why do I always hear that Texas beef isnt as good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 08:30 AM

116 posts, read 377,856 times
Default This is funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
The combative tone and nature of the OP's initial post solves the much discussed riddle of "Why are so many Texans less than welcoming to transplants?"

To be fair, most Texans are quite friendly, and will go out their way to accommodate people and make them feel welcome. This becomes difficult when people like the OP preface everything with "But in California...." Here is a news flash, Texas is not California. California has things that make it very unique, and interesting. So does Texas. Texans may bristle a bit when you start everything with "But in California..." This isn't California, and if California was such a utopia, why aren't you still there? Not a "get out" jab, but an important question. If things were so rosy in CA, then why are so many Californians now living in Texas?

To make things easy for yourself, I would suggest trying to fit in to a small degree. Start by not beginning everything you say with "But, in California..." Then make an attempt to fit into your local surroundings. Not remold you new location in the image of the place you left. That's sort of how things work. I am sure the OP would not appreciate nomadic swarms of mid-westerners trying to revamp the Cali coast into the new Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, or Indiana. Same here in Texas.
I agree with part of this. But, wow, I do not agree that most Texans are friendly. At least in the DFW area, the people here are very rude. I guess they are nice compared to Northeasterners, but that's about it. Where are the friendly people, because they sure do not reside in the Dallas area.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:37 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
I have lived in several areas of Texas, not including Dallas though I've been there on business, and have found people all over Texas to be generally friendly. Sure, there are jerks in any given location, and I don't mean to convey that Texas is some sort of wonderland, but generally speaking, folks are friendly.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pears View Post
I agree with part of this. But, wow, I do not agree that most Texans are friendly. At least in the DFW area, the people here are very rude. I guess they are nice compared to Northeasterners, but that's about it. Where are the friendly people, because they sure do not reside in the Dallas area.
DFW is full of transplants. It takes years to undo all those ingrained character flaws.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I'll take your word for it, but why do I always hear that Texas beef isnt as good?
It's hard to beat those Omaha Steaks.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
DFW is full of transplants. It takes years to undo all those ingrained character flaws.
I know what ya mean.

There are several Californians, New Yorkers, and New Orleanians I went to high school with....

Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I know what ya mean.

There are several Californians, New Yorkers, and New Orleanians I went to high school with....
I ought to know, I moved here from Chicago in 1967. I only lived there 2 years and I don't think it took hold too much.

Last edited by PanTerra; 02-14-2013 at 10:09 AM..

Old 02-21-2013, 08:44 AM

221 posts, read 600,385 times
I tried an In and Out burger in Rockwall, Texas and I didn't see what all the hooplah was about. For real. It was nothing special at all. The best burger is the one you can get at a little place in Canton, Texas called Dairy Palace. Now THAT'S a good burger. The meat is hand formed and in spots extends out from the bun. It's the kind of burger you would make at home. It's a bit expensive compared to In and Out, but honestly, I would not go back to In and Out Burger unless it was the last place I had to choose from.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:25 PM

155 posts, read 427,757 times
Wait. What-A-Burger is the best burger place?

Whataburger is where I go at 2:00 am after drinking all night with a case of the munchies and only half my brain turned on.

If I want a real burger, you know, Texas style, I go to The Burger House in Colmesneil, TX.

Why this is even an issue? I have no idea.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaynaKH View Post
Wait. What-A-Burger is the best burger place?

Whataburger is where I go at 2:00 am after drinking all night with a case of the munchies and only half my brain turned on.

If I want a real burger, you know, Texas style, I go to The Burger House in Colmesneil, TX.

Why this is even an issue? I have no idea.
There is quite a disparity of quality at the different Burger House locations. The one on Mockingbird near Abrams is great, the one at Coit &Campbell was a poor excuse for a burger, the patty was about 1/8" thick, if that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas