Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2015, 11:27 AM

436 posts, read 570,699 times

Advertisements

If you are comparing your hamburger joint to Whataburger then your burger joint sucks by default. Then again I am in Austin so my cup runneth over with good burger joints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 11:30 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,482,709 times
^^^ Would that be a cup of cholesterol then?

I don't often eat burgers, but when I DO they're from In-n-Out!

Old 08-04-2015, 12:17 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
^^^How about they both suck, regardless of whether...

you are greeted by smiling English speaking teens that are cheerful and polite
or
you're confronted by frowning fat non-English speaking slow lazy people

It seems that either place is only capable of hiring the type of people described above. They you say to yourself.. what?

Why don't you just say Whites and Mexicans? Why beat around the bush?

Old 08-04-2015, 12:45 PM

^^^ Because they weren't all whites and mexicans! Some were at both what are you racist?

Sloppy uneducated people can't speak English...I don't care if it IS their native language!

I saw plenty of all races at In-n-Out speaking English clearly and they seemed cheerful and polite! You obviously haven't been to in-n-out or you would see they aren't all the same...you must be a classist since you think they are!

Old 08-04-2015, 01:20 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Actually I have been to both and I like both. I was being sarcastic and by the way I am Mexican. As for the fat non-English speaking people that supposedly work at Whataburger (and not at In n Out) and since Whataburger is predominately a Texas based company and since we are on the Texas forum, and the overwhelming majority of "non English speaking" (you're words, not mine) people in Texas are Mexicans (or at least Latin American) I am making the direct correlation. I'm Sorry about the run-on sentence.

So let me get this straight. You are judging a company with many restaurants and employees based on your negative experience? So If I work at Whataburger for minimum wage and I am not happy about it (who would be?) and I am not smiling at everyone that walks in the door, that is a direct reflection on how bad the hamburgers are? That to me seems like a management issue and not training your employees correctly. Granted, it is what is, if they are bad they are bad and in that case send it back and DON'T eat it or don't even go there to begin with.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, I have had In N Out a few times, LA, Vegas and Texas and I do like them better than Whataburger only because I am totally burned out on WB and have been eating them since I was like 4 yrs old (i'm in my 50's now)

Old 08-04-2015, 01:43 PM

In-n-out is through the SouthWest so the Mexican thing is just as valid anywhere.

Anyone I cannot clearly understand does NOT speak English!

Old 08-06-2015, 12:38 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,190,365 times
In-N-Out is overrated, overcooked, burnt crap. Even their fries are complete crap! Their fries have absolutely no flavor. That California crap can stay out of Texas.

Whataburger is also garbage. At least they don't serve burnt burgers, though.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:14 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I'm from neither place and have eaten both and In-n-Out wins it hands down!

In-n-Out:
1. The place is clean and you're greeted with smiling English speaking teens that are cheerful and polite.
2. The burger they they hand you LOOKS just like the picture.
3. The bun is fresh, the lettuce, pickle and tomato are cold and crispy.
4. The cheese is melted.

Whataburger:
1. The place is average clean and you're confronted by frowning fat non-English speaking slow lazy people.
2. The burger they they hand you LOOKS just like someone sat on it.
3. The whole burger is like eating a grease soaked lump of dough.
4. The cheese is rarely melted.

In-n-Out is WAY cheaper too!
Wow...straight in on the racist tip....all in support of an argument of one fast food burger chain over another. I would question your priorities more than your taste in burgers.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:11 AM

112 posts, read 165,343 times
I grew up on Whataburger and developed a love/hate relationship with them over the years. (Maybe I'll explain the reasons for that later in this post if real life doesn't interfere).

I try all of the burger places that come through my city (Austin). I stood in line for half an hour to be underwhelmed by Hop Daddy's. I've begrudgingly spent 15 bucks at Five Guys a time or two. I've dined at Mighty Fine a hundred times. And of course I've been to In-N-Out a good many times to see what all the fuss is about. One of my sons absolutely loves In-N-Out so he and I go there regularly. I like the fact that they will grill a whole slice of onion for me. That feature right there improves the burger for me by about 80%. So I must admit, I enjoy their burgers. Their fries are unpalatable, IMO - no matter how soft or crisp you have them cooked or how animal you have them slathered. But their burgers are good.

My favorites are Phil's Ice House and P Terry's. A P Terry's double with cheese and grilled onions is an amazing value and their fries are scrumptious. Phil's on the other hand has fancy burgers. Soft sweet jalapeno cheese bun, grilled onions, sliced avocados, chipotle mayo, jalapenos. Yummy delicious. And delicately thin sliced and flaky battered onion rings. Crazy good.

But about Whataburger (no real life interruptions so far), I always felt obligated to keep going back to them because they were so convenient. They're everywhere in Texas and back in the day, when I was a carouser, working up a bad case of the munchies, they were one of the few places - like in the Rundberg/North Lamar area - open at like 4:00 in the morning.

So I'd swing through the drive-through and end up being sorry I did simply because the service (at least back around 1980 - 1993) was so freaking slow and inaccurate. I can't tell you how many times they screwed up my order. And it's not like I was ordering something exotic. I was just ordering taquitos for Pete's sake.

And back then, when they used to ask you to pull forward so they would bring your meal out to you at a later time, it was the kiss of death. Half the time they would never bring it out to you and sometimes they would even argue with you and try to tell you that you had never even ordered or paid.

Yeah. They were that bad back in the day. They were AT&T callously bad.

But over the last 20 years or so, I've made my peace with Whataburger. When I go, I go at noon. I'm friendly to the order taker so she won't have any reason to screw me over. I order my burger on Texas Toast with grilled onions and peppers added. At lunchtime they're almost prompt and the food is very good for the price.

To get the best value out of either place (Whataburger or In-N-Out) I think you need to know your options and special order your burger to sate your palate. The regular, standard, usual and customary burger at either place is nothing to write home about, but if you explore your options and push the envelope you can get a damned good custom made burger at either place.

Last edited by hooky hornstein; 08-06-2015 at 07:21 AM..

Old 08-07-2015, 09:43 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I'm from neither place and have eaten both and In-n-Out wins it hands down!

In-n-Out:
1. The place is clean and you're greeted with smiling English speaking teens that are cheerful and polite.
2. The burger they they hand you LOOKS just like the picture.
3. The bun is fresh, the lettuce, pickle and tomato are cold and crispy.
4. The cheese is melted.

Whataburger:
1. The place is average clean and you're confronted by frowning fat non-English speaking slow lazy people.
2. The burger they they hand you LOOKS just like someone sat on it.
3. The whole burger is like eating a grease soaked lump of dough.
4. The cheese is rarely melted.

In-n-Out is WAY cheaper too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
All we need to know about you.
It sure is...

And to add, it sounds like you've only been to ONE Whataburger and ONE In-N-Out in your entire lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas