Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:01 PM

52,582 posts, read 47,734,369 times

Advertisements

Hi, guys. I want to see if we can gather around the computer campfire once again and I'll try not to forget the marshmallows. Here's a real good thread idea that I haven't seen yet on these blogs, so let me ask this. Who is your favorite Texas hero? Of course, you know I'm talking about the people who helped make Texas what it is -- people like Sam Houston, Jim Bowie, Davy Crockett, and others. Then, if you can, you might want to share why this hero means something to you.

Here we go, guys. You don't necessarily have to be a history buff for this, but if you are, and you're out there, then let's hear from you now. Let 'er rip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 08:34 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,533,131 times
OP--don't know what you know about TX history but all the men you cite were not Texicans--Sam Houston had lived here the longest but Davy Crockett planned to use TX's revolution as a stepping stone to the Presidency and recoup his image with Tennesee voters and the rest of America---Jim Bowie was a Louisiana speculator/near'do well who married money/position --- if they had not died at the Alamo it is doubtful if they would even be remembered in today's history

Juan Seguin is a real hero of TX and a real Texican--born in San Antonio from family of long time land owners---basically gave up everything to support the Texas revolution and got squat for it--believed that Houston, Crocket and the others involved really meant Liberty for Mexicans too--which they really did not---
Like many native Spanish/Mexicans who took the Anglos' side he found that he was just a step up the ladder--his lands were taken, his rights were abused...he returned to Mexico and was arrested because of his support of the Tejano cause..he tried to come back and claim his family lands which Anglos had seized but was forced out from TX again and died across the Rio Grande--a stone's throw from Texas...
I think his story proves how much corruption lies behind the great slogans of most revolutions and how racist people in TX were against Hispanics--also shows don't trust most of what politicians say in the heat of the moment---
Juan Seguin had as many positive qualities as most of the "famous" men associated with the TX Revolution and benefited about the least...
and I am not Hispanic--but I do know when someone has been a victim of his times and history as well....

Old 10-03-2007, 09:20 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,272,713 times
Well, that's just the way of the world, isn't it? It's not just Texas, it's any state in the U.S. or any country in the world. Most heros aren't exactly models of virtue. But yes, sometimes their good points are exaggerated and their bad points downplayed. Their stories are a way to garner national or state pride even if you might look at it as deception. Events and stories get built up and exaggerated but alot of times there is some kernel of truth in it.

Every one is a victim of their times and history not just the Hispanic. Don't fling the racism card against Texans. Every race and nationality has had their own episodes of being the victim as well as the aggressor. Maybe some century in the future Americans will be the ones overcome by others. Perhaps we will get back what we gave, good or bad. But every human group has their moments of good and evil and I'm not going to be guilted for being what I am today when I had nothing to do with what happened in the past.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:30 PM
AKF

178 posts, read 706,590 times
Smile MY Hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Hi, guys. I want to see if we can gather around the computer campfire once again and I'll try not to forget the marshmallows. Here's a real good thread idea that I haven't seen yet on these blogs, so let me ask this. Who is your favorite Texas hero? Of course, you know I'm talking about the people who helped make Texas what it is -- people like Sam Houston, Jim Bowie, Davy Crockett, and others. Then, if you can, you might want to share why this hero means something to you.

Here we go, guys. You don't necessarily have to be a history buff for this, but if you are, and you're out there, then let's hear from you now. Let 'er rip!
I think you started this thread for fun...and to be light...that was heavy duty stuff from the response you've had so far. So, how about my 2 cents?

My favorite "hero" would have to be "The Good" from what else? "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly"!!

Cheers!

Old 10-03-2007, 07:26 PM

52,582 posts, read 47,734,369 times
Well, quite an interesting start, isn't it? Just because I threw some names around doesn't mean it stops with those names. If there were stories about any of Texas' heroes that stand out in your mind, try to share that (maybe something that fascinated you in class as a kid). If you grew up in Texas, I'm sure you've had Texas history in school. I would, however, prefer that we keep this on the light side if we can. Have fun with it.

Now, let's hear from you.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:33 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,200,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Well, quite an interesting start, isn't it? Just because I threw some names around doesn't mean it stops with those names. If there were stories about any of Texas' heroes that stand out in your mind, try to share that (maybe something that fascinated you in class as a kid). If you grew up in Texas, I'm sure you've had Texas history in school. I would, however, prefer that we keep this on the light side if we can. Have fun with it.

Now, let's hear from you.
Since most of the Texas heroes weren't really from Texas and many were from the east coast, Tennessee, and Great Britain (if memory serves correctly), do they count in this discussion?

Until I hear from you, I'll choose Audie Murphy for now.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:38 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,522,132 times
Audie Murphy would have to be my favorite hero from Texas. He was the most decorated soldier in W.W. II and then became a movie star.

My favorite movie hero from Texas is Joe Don Baker. He played in the first, and original, "Walking Tall" movie.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:39 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,533,131 times
First of all---if anyone thinks "race" does not have a card to play in whom people view as heroes then I just think that is very unrealistic...my point was that Juan Seguin (and others like him) was just as significant in the history of early TX, WAS a real Texan, and yet gets scant mention in history books--if history does not "remember" you, how can most people see you as a "hero"...
Sorry if I came on too strong--I just meant that many "heroes" are really not that well-known or appreciated...in Texas men get most of the credit but women were certainly important in taming the frontier and bringing some grace to this forsaken place...

Deaf Smith represented much of what was right about early Texas as its openess to all comers--brave man who was influencial in the Battle of San Jacinto--not very well known now...

There was a woman who was influencial in the women' sufferage movement in Texas--remember her from my jr high Tx history sort of--cunningham was her last name...

Henry B. Gonzales--an honest politican who really made his life's work to keep the Congress as honest as he could...

Audie Murphy certainly paid the price for his service in WW2 and his fame afterwards--probably suffered from PTSD which lead to his drinking...I always thought he was a better actor than they gave him credit for--especially if they had let him out of those westerns...

I would certainly rank Barbara Jordan in the current era as a true Texas hero--as a stateswoman (she was more than a mere politician) she set a standard for intelligence, dignity, and courage that few have matched...
Lyndon and Claudia Johnson--for different reasons--are two exceptional examples of native Texans who brought the best and sometimes worst of Texas to the world...she was truly ahead of her time in caring about the land and his early work in Congress to establish the chain of highland lakes electric power plants brought civilization to central texas during the 20th century--when people there were using coal oil lamps and had no running water--that and his Civil Rights legislation were great pieces of gov't for the public good...getting Lady Bird the liscense for the sole radio/tv station in Austin decades was not so good...

Old 10-04-2007, 10:29 AM

1,298 posts, read 4,272,713 times
Unfortunately, alot of deserving people don't get mentioned much or at all in the history books due to race or gender, I agree. My heroes would be Sam Houston, both Lyndon Johnson and Lady Bird Johnson, him for being instrumental in pushing through on Civil Rights issues and her for her head start program for underprivileged children and her highway beautification program, also Audie Murphy, Quanah Parker and others come to mind. Some of those listed by other posters that I don't know much about I'm looking up to read more about them. Very interesting and eye-opening in some cases! Many good people out there.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:37 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,765,894 times
George W BUSH all the way man....oh wait, did you say hero? I thought I read Zero

At this point, I think I will go with the very much alive Ron Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas