Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:10 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,566,765 times

Advertisements

I am going to take this from a STRICTLY hiring viewpoint as I used to be a headhunter some years ago. There are certain companies, hospitals, medical offices that strongly look for students that graduated from the MAIN CAMPUS of a school and not a branch. The theory being that the students at the main campus got the better education, better teachers and better exposure to the newer things.
HOUSTON is your only choice in that case.
The other consideration is that you are a message therapist. There are many innercity, but, if you will go a little further out, there will be a real need for your services--or you could do the traveling thing and go to them. A needed service few are willling to do--especially in the p.m. Plus, you would have wealthier clients then.
The other consideration is that will you will be able to charge more for your services as a message therapist in Houston than Brownsville. A cheap area means people, generally, have little money. Houston has the 6th highest rate of wealthy in the country.
The other thought is that, if you find little use for your message therapy, Houston is loaded with more jobs for students.
Don't even consider Brownsville. Houston is where it is at for YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 05:25 PM

14 posts, read 47,818 times
Thanks everybody, you have made some excellent points. I am still considering B'ville. My daughter, who might move with me, is looking at Houston.

UTB has the HISPANIC HEALTH RESEARCH CENTER IN THE LOWER RIO GRANDE VALLEY .
I guess that is the good point of attending UTB than the Houston Campus. Plus the student to instructor ratio is 2:1. Probably, I will be working heavily with the Hispanic population when I start working. I will probably specialize in Global Health and working with the center will expose me to some issues which are global, such as TB. I could always transfer to the Houston campus after a few semesters.

Anyhoo, still weighing the goods and the bads. At this point, the obvious good is the cost of living. It would be nice to rent a house with a yard for a change after paying $1400 for a box for so many years.

Also, with it being on the same lattitude as Miami, is it similar to climate there? I really miss the warm Gulf water. The water here on Calif coast is so cold, I have barely put my foot in. Used to scuba dive off of Pamana City and go bird watching off of Dauphin Island.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:51 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times
Also, with it being on the same lattitude as Miami, is it similar to climate there? I really miss the warm Gulf water. The water here on Calif coast is so cold, I have barely put my foot in. Used to scuba dive off of Pamana City and go bird watching off of Dauphin Island.

Yes, it's very warm and in August the water almost feels like bath water. There is not much opportunity for scuba diving in the immediate area, but there is lots and lots of biriding.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:46 AM
ejv

18 posts, read 65,025 times
Say Does Brownsville Get Hurricanes? What About Corpus Christi?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:29 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
First of all I have heard/read that rents in Brownsville are NOT cheap--housing market is one of the hottest in the country eventhough prices are low compared to other areas because of cheap land and labor--but that will change as the market intensifies (if it continues) and high home prices are usually reflected in high rents--it just may take a year to catch up...Personally I love San Antonio--grew up close to there and have a sister who lives there still--it is a vibrant, interesting city with many cultural opportunities, great restaurants, a fairly liveable city (although some people definitely would not agree) and it has from what I know a very viable health industry so that you probably could find employment there after graduation if you wanted...but that being said...

I think you need to look more closely at the reps of the different schools you might choose from--pick the campus that has the best teachers in your respective field--what aspect/specialization are you planning to focus on--which campus has the best funding/research/well-known voices in that area--which one offers the best connections for finding a job after graduation---has the most active alumni assoc which is very helpful in outreach/job search

research those factors before you worry about drive time and apartments....the decision will affect how your early entry into your profession goes and very likely your long-term prospects as well....you can make do with a environment that is maybe not exactly what you want I would think if you knew that the end result would guarantee a significant payoff...

if you choose a branch because of its location and come to find out that it is considered the runt of the litter so to speak, anyone in your field who is hiring will know that probably as well--and if you and someone from a higher-regarded branch (even someone with credentials that are not as good as yours) compete for a job--you are likely to lose out to someone from a school with a better rep---

that happens all the time with MA grads from other fields when their colleges that are not as well known or well-regarded in their fields of study---they might be great workers, intelligent, and have great potential but sad to say that is not everything a recruiter is looking for...

100% agree. Houston's UT campus is much more regarded as a serious medical/health campus than Brownsville, particularly because it is located in the largest medical center in the world. It would give your degree more credence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas