Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 01:23 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times

Advertisements

Hey I live near Dallas and I totally agree that having to drive out to Arlington to watch sports totally sucks, and that even minor league baseball and soccer is a downer because it is located in 'we are too new and fancy to need decent customer service' Frisco. And the double whammy is they located the stadiums in areas that sort of suck, and who don't like public transport which limits the amount of fun you can have there. It's basically go to the game and then get out as fast as possible.

In terms of accessibilty to the games (as I'm not on the team, I could really care less if they win or lose but I'd prefer they win) Houston beats Dallas handily.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:46 PM

122 posts, read 222,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxe103020 View Post

In all seriousness though, there are far more similarities between DFW and Houston than differences. Most residents of Houston suffer from a severe inferiority complex, so they will take someone's random post on the internet and become super offended (and realize all of these posts are subjective anyways). I actually like Houston as a city. I just think the Dallas area has more to offer.
As somebody who has lived in Dallas longer than he has lived in Houston, I can tell you, 99% of the people in Houston could care less about Dallas or even think about it. Like you said, the similarities outnumber the differences. I like both places, just after having lived in both, I prefer Houston.

Old 06-21-2012, 01:49 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshoota View Post
As somebody who has lived in Dallas longer than he has lived in Houston, I can tell you, 99% of the people in Houston could care less about Dallas or even think about it.
You're responding to someone who may not even be on this forum later.

Just to let ya know....

Old 06-21-2012, 01:51 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Hey I live near Dallas and I totally agree that having to drive out to Arlington to watch sports totally sucks...
Fort Worth resident here..... now you know how it feels.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:23 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
I'm not real sure why the Houston argument about the sports venues locations.
A) Downtown Houston is near the geographic center of metro Houston
B) Arlington is close to the geographic center of DFW

What's the difference? It's not like people in Houston aren't still driving in for the games and then driving back home to the burbs or where ever. Dallas having only one major league sports venue in the core has done a better job building housing and such around it than any of the multiple venues in Houston. AA Center having a DART/TRE station is very nice as well. The soccer team should play in the cotton bowl in Dallas though. I think the stadium in Frisco is nice, but good lord that feels like Oklahoma that far out. They must have wanted to locate to where the majority of their fanbase is.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I think the stadium in Frisco is nice, but good lord that feels like Oklahoma that far out. They must have wanted to locate to where the majority of their fanbase is.
That HAS to be it.

Arlington is at least in the center of the Metroplex. Even people in Dallas don't want to drive all the way up there and you're closer.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:53 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:

What's the difference? It's not like people in Houston aren't still driving in for the games and then driving back home to the burbs or where ever. Dallas having only one major league sports venue in the core has done a better job building housing and such around it than any of the multiple venues in Houston. AA Center having a DART/TRE station is very nice as well. The soccer team should play in the cotton bowl in Dallas though. I think the stadium in Frisco is nice, but good lord that feels like Oklahoma that far out. They must have wanted to locate to where the majority of their fanbase is.
There is just so much wrong with this post......don't even have the time. Lol

Old 06-21-2012, 06:59 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,376,095 times
Quote:

Good moves by Dallas. Allow Frisco and Arlington to take on the bond debt for teams that still carry your city's name.

Last edited by First24; 06-21-2012 at 07:11 PM..

Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 PM

392 posts, read 633,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
That HAS to be it.

Arlington is at least in the center of the Metroplex. Even people in Dallas don't want to drive all the way up there and you're closer.
ThAt's a good question... Is Arlington really in the center?

40 years ago, it may have been halfway between the Dallas and Fort Worth downtowns, and it looked like that was the center, but now, the metro has expanded to the north as far as McKinney, so the "center" would have to shift to the northeast, maybe to Irving.

Of course, the actual center in air miles is not important, but travel time is.

A better issue is this... The DFW metro is so populous now that it needs two major league teams. One in Arlington, another in north Dallas or Plano.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,895 times
It's too bad there's not a trophy for playing sports downtown, then people might actually think of Houston when they think of sports cities for something other than NFL teams abandoning them or having some of the lowest attendance in professional leagues.

Dallas, regardless of if their teams are in the city or the 'burbs, produces winners. Defending NBA Champs (at least for another 3 hours), back-to-back world series, and one of the most storied and beloved NFL franchises of all time.

This isn't even a contest. Houston is little league compared to Dallas sports. But congrats on feeling special that your soccer team plays downtown. [pity clap]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas