Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,158 times

Advertisements

So, I was born in texas then we move to NY(Dads job). So needless to say I was born and raised a Cowboy fan, as said before I grew up in NY and quite honestly i'm sick of the city. I just wanted to know some good towns that aren't high in crime rate, safe to drive without worry etc. etc. Also want to be surrounded by Cowboy fans, you don't know how hard it is to find some in NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 08:46 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,793 times
COWBOYS

Put the map of Texas on a table, have pen in hand, close your eyes, stab any point on the map..Voila!

If you can find ANY place in Texas that is NOT Cowboys country, please do let us know...Even Houston treats the Texans as a visiting team when the Cowboys are in town.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:21 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,387,993 times
Finally something postive I can say about Texas...I LOVE The Dallas Cowboys. I am a big football fan and have always been a fan and always will be even when I move to N.C.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:10 AM

130 posts, read 873,490 times
Heck I am the BIGGEST Cowboy fan. I recently moved back to TX from Louisiana and I am LOVING it.
Funny how 2 different experiences mold what people want. I grew up in TX and lived here all but the 3 years in LA. I, opposite of you, really don't care to be around Cowboy "fans". I used quotes around fan, because in my experience most Cowboy fans fall into several categories:
1) Fair-weather....Wasn't near as many of us in 1989
2) Arm-chair QB's - you know the type, they write Jerry once a week to let him know what he is doing
3) cheerleader - the people who check the paper Monday, but don't bother to watch nor could tell you any Cowboy players other than the super stars
4) media dralings - the people who jump on the latest media hype. Best recent example, calling for Roomo to replace Bledsoe!!

I hope you don' fall into one of these categories. Once I went to a class that my Dad was teaching at the local community college and someone in the class questioned how big a Cowboy fan we really were. So my Dad and I, between the 2 of us, listed the entire 53 man roster on the dry-erase board!!

Old 09-23-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanS View Post
Heck I am the BIGGEST Cowboy fan. I recently moved back to TX from Louisiana and I am LOVING it.
Funny how 2 different experiences mold what people want. I grew up in TX and lived here all but the 3 years in LA. I, opposite of you, really don't care to be around Cowboy "fans". I used quotes around fan, because in my experience most Cowboy fans fall into several categories:
1) Fair-weather....Wasn't near as many of us in 1989
2) Arm-chair QB's - you know the type, they write Jerry once a week to let him know what he is doing
3) cheerleader - the people who check the paper Monday, but don't bother to watch nor could tell you any Cowboy players other than the super stars
4) media dralings - the people who jump on the latest media hype. Best recent example, calling for Roomo to replace Bledsoe!!

I hope you don' fall into one of these categories. Once I went to a class that my Dad was teaching at the local community college and someone in the class questioned how big a Cowboy fan we really were. So my Dad and I, between the 2 of us, listed the entire 53 man roster on the dry-erase board!!
I love'd them even when they only won one game in 1989

Old 09-23-2006, 02:35 PM

3 posts, read 9,225 times
I was born, grew up and lived most of my 35 years in west texas. I have been in Indianapolis for about a year now and I'm missing texas a lot. I'm seriously thinking of going back soon. Indianapolis is a great city, but it defenitely doesn't feel like home even after a year. The crime rate here leaves something to be desired at the least. Lubbock, Texas would be a great city to look into. It's not a lil town but just big enough not to be too big. You can get to anyside of the city within 15 or 20 minutes and you can actually walk the streets without any big fear. There is always a chance you will run into someone anywhere in this country but it is 99% safer than I would give Indy credit for. Theres no place like west texas. :-)

Old 09-23-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm177 View Post
I was born, grew up and lived most of my 35 years in west texas. I have been in Indianapolis for about a year now and I'm missing texas a lot. I'm seriously thinking of going back soon. Indianapolis is a great city, but it defenitely doesn't feel like home even after a year. The crime rate here leaves something to be desired at the least. Lubbock, Texas would be a great city to look into. It's not a lil town but just big enough not to be too big. You can get to anyside of the city within 15 or 20 minutes and you can actually walk the streets without any big fear. There is always a chance you will run into someone anywhere in this country but it is 99% safer than I would give Indy credit for. Theres no place like west texas. :-)
Hey that reminds me of a Mac Davis song, Lubbock Texas in my rear view mirror, ever hear it?

Old 09-23-2006, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 9,225 times
Yep and all my ex's live in Texas.....lol

Old 09-23-2006, 05:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
COWBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookmeister View Post
S

Put the map of Texas on a table, have pen in hand, close your eyes, stab any point on the map..Voila!

If you can find ANY place in Texas that is
NOT Cowboys country, please do let us know...Even Houston treats the Texans as a visiting team when the Cowboys are in town.
For some reason, I must be the only one who has an active hatred of the Dallas Cowboys, their coaches, et al...

I have hated them ever since Tom Landry got canned....and several of their players have been cited for drug abuses....they appeared to mostly be scumbags who had nothing better to do than do drugs, beat up on their wives/women, get into trouble with the law, et al....I got so fed up with it that I simply quit watching pro football at all. Their glory days (Tom Landry, Don Meredith, Too Tall Jones, Danny White, Drew Pearson, etc. ) are over.

This dates me, I know, but they are no longer "America's Team."

When they get back to being decent in RL off the field, I might watch them again, but until then.....NOPE.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:38 PM

121 posts, read 814,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

For some reason, I must be the only one who has an active hatred of the Dallas Cowboys, their coaches, et al...

I have hated them ever since Tom Landry got canned....and several of their players have been cited for drug abuses....they appeared to mostly be scumbags who had nothing better to do than do drugs, beat up on their wives/women, get into trouble with the law, et al....I got so fed up with it that I simply quit watching pro football at all. Their glory days (Tom Landry, Don Meredith, Too Tall Jones, Danny White, Drew Pearson, etc. ) are over.

This dates me, I know, but they are no longer "America's Team."

When they get back to being decent in RL off the field, I might watch them again, but until then.....NOPE.
While I fully agree with the fact that Tom Landry's firing (particularly the manner in which it came about, with Landry learning of it from the media before he was "officially" told) was somewhere between pathetic and despicable, you might want to check the Cowboy's offseason history in the last few years. They've had no more problems, actually fewer, than most other NFL teams. No quarterbacks with painkiller addictions, no linebackers that were convicted of failing to cooperate with a murder investigation, etc., etc. The problems that they had in the mid 90s were exaggerated because they're the most high profile franchise in the NFL and they were coming off multiple Super Bowl victories. Doesn't excuse their actions, but the fact remains that their athletes didn't behave that differently than other athletes with other teams.

Sorry if that's a bit off topic, just wanted to keep things in perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas