Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM

363 posts, read 988,798 times

Advertisements

Looking at a map you can see El Paso and the Houston area as the armpits and the RGV as a ass crack of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 06:59 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Midland and Odessa have always had a rivalry of sorts, most likely originating from the high school football rivalries of course...lol. In addition, Midland has always been the stereotypical "rich man's town" vs Odessa which has always been the "working man's town". As some have noted before on this forum there's an old saying that goes something like..."People go to Midland to raise a family, people go to Odessa to raise hell!"...lol.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
The whole Midland Lee vs.Odessa Permian rivalry is a very big one.I live in Midland and Ive always liked Odessa.That being said, I like Midland better though.Im a Lee grad and I kinda like Permian also.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Ask and you shall receive. Houston vs Dallas just popped up in the Houston Chronicle:
Houston versus Dallas - Houston Chronicle

Old 06-13-2012, 08:58 AM

64 posts, read 243,562 times
This is great! Having never been to either, I am curious to visit both now and draw my own conclusions. I will admit, I prefer water, green and histroic neighborhorhoods, so I may come down a little on the Houston side without more informed experiential data.

Old 06-13-2012, 05:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
To the OP - you picked a great time to ask this question. Another article today in the Houston Chronicle about Houston's superiority over Dallas

Dallas gets foul-mouthed over Houston’s superiority | Newswatch | a Chron.com blog

Also if you really want to ruffle the feathers of a Ft Worth native ask him or her "So you live in Dallas?" Be prepared to make a hasty exit!

Old 06-13-2012, 05:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
^^^I read both articles (the one from the Houston Chronicle and the Dallas morning news). They're both stupid and I feel my IQ has been lowered by reading them. Talking about a pissing match over things that don't matter to 99% of people in either place.

I feel only a true moron would put stock in either article. What's worse is they are acting as if they speak for every one in both places.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:44 PM

157 posts, read 316,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
To the OP - you picked a great time to ask this question. Another article today in the Houston Chronicle about Houston's superiority over Dallas

Dallas gets foul-mouthed over Houston’s superiority | Newswatch | a Chron.com blog

Also if you really want to ruffle the feathers of a Ft Worth native ask him or her "So you live in Dallas?" Be prepared to make a hasty exit!
What if the rankers ranked newspapers? - College, Inc. - The Washington Post
Houston Chronicle is a paper to be proud of! Can you detect my sarcasm?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:03 PM

392 posts, read 633,805 times
Both Dallas and Houston have greenery, historic neighborhoods, and exposure to large bodies of water. The differences in zoning, the type of industries served and the climate make them significantly different, however. There are many other major differences between them that are too numerous to mention in this post.

Mostly, I don't want to be too specific in order to not provoke another Dallas-Houston spitting match.

Old 06-10-2016, 11:11 AM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Inter-city rivalries:

Houston and Dallas. (Stupid shot competing for the crown city. Maybe the second biggest city rivalry after New York-Boston. And even then it may be higher)

San Antonio-Austin. (Very close to eachother and significantly different feels. San Antonio is a resort city with the river walk and amusement parks. Austin is a hipster town with live music and raves. Both have history but different types).

Intra-metro rivalries:

Northside Houston vs Southside Houston. (I'm not even describing this but there's an episode on BET about it if you want to see it)

Dallas vs Fort Worth (Dallas has "yuppies", Fort Worth has hippies, and most significant stuff in the area is in the middle of the two such as AT&T Park, GlobeLife Park in Arlington, 6 Flags, DFW airport, etc).

Beaumont-Port Arthur (two biggest towns in the "Golden Triangle", natural rivalry)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas