Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:55 PM

23 posts, read 50,525 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at a job in the Midland to Odessa area, and I was wondering what people thought of that area.

Is it a dry heat in the summer or a humid heat?

How safe is the area? I've heard some scary things about southern and western Texas and drug-related violence.

Is it actually a small city? That's what it looks like online, but I've never been down that way.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:10 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,438 times
dry heat and both are small cities.best part of midland is northwest side and best part of odessa is the northeast.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:53 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,032 times
Midland is a nice place to live. It's pretty much a white collar town with Odessa being it's blue collar twin. That's not to say that there aren't white collar jobs/people in Odessa or blue collar jobs/people in Midland, but that is generally how it tends to be. Midland is a small city, that has lots to offer for a city its size. There are some very nice neighborhoods, museums, etc. It is perfectly safe to live there as long as you are in a decent neighborhood.

It is very dry, although not as dry as it used to be. When I first moved there from Dallas in the early 80's, it was so dry, I had nose bleeds for the first 6 months I was there. The humidity has increased some since then, but it is still quite dry.

We really loved living there, and often discuss moving back when we retire.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:04 PM

118 posts, read 273,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyChristine View Post
I'm looking at a job in the Midland to Odessa area, and I was wondering what people thought of that area.

Is it a dry heat in the summer or a humid heat?
Dry. When the humidity is high (which doesn't happen often) it is usually not hot.

Quote:
How safe is the area? I've heard some scary things about southern and western Texas and drug-related violence.
The thing about drug related violence is that unless you a part of the trade yourself, you generally don't have to worry about it. There are definitely drugs around, but I don't know that it is any worse than any other place.

Quote:
Is it actually a small city? That's what it looks like online, but I've never been down that way.

Thank you!
Yeah, two small cities that kinda feel like a medium sized city together.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,494 times
I am also looking at possibly moving to the Midland area and what I have seen online as far as rental property is scaring me to death! It looks like major price gouging and astronomical prices like I would pay in NYC or Cali....Is this just by chance hopefully a fluke?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:12 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Unfortunately no, it's not a fluke. The oilfield is booming, and housing is scarce because of the influx of workers.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:02 PM

4 posts, read 8,536 times
Im also hoping to get a job in Midland TX. I grew up south of Midland in Alpine TX. Im currently in northern AZ and miss Texas. I also have a baby on the way and I really need to step up my income.

How hard is it to get into the oil industry there, do I need any experience? I'm currently making 30k a year, can I expect to earn double that starting out or within 3-5 years? Thanks.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_d21 View Post
Im also hoping to get a job in Midland TX. I grew up south of Midland in Alpine TX. Im currently in northern AZ and miss Texas. I also have a baby on the way and I really need to step up my income.

How hard is it to get into the oil industry there, do I need any experience? I'm currently making 30k a year, can I expect to earn double that starting out or within 3-5 years? Thanks.
roughneck but its dangerous....if u want a office job and have good personal skills maybe landman.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,536 times
I would be happy starting with roughneck. my brother in law started there 7 years ago and makes $900 a day now as a directional driller or something like that.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_d21 View Post
I would be happy starting with roughneck. my brother in law started there 7 years ago and makes $900 a day now as a directional driller or something like that.

Thanks for the reply.
anytime bud...just be safe and careful and good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas