Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:53 AM

392 posts, read 633,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Why do you keep talking about San Fransisco when this thread is about Texas cities? Why would any city in Texas compare itself to any city outside of Texas? You are obviously not from Texas. Stay on topic please.

The REAL cities in Texas are Austin, Dallas, San Antonio, Houston, El Paso, Ft. Worth, Amarillo, Lubbock, Corpus Christi, Brownsville, etc.

Fun fact: The only city in Texas listed on the most dense cities list is Mobile City in Dallas which has a density of over 10,000 people per sqm. Mobile City consist of a trailer park, liquor store, and convenience store.
Well, if the subject is the value or the significance of density per se, that opens up the issue to other examples of density around the world. An average density of 6,000 in Houston must be seen in context. As an absolute number it is meaningless.

I think your interest in analyzing the density of portions of a city, or even city neighborhoods, is a good thing, far better than looking at the average density of an entire municipality.

The cities you mentioned are not real cities, they are imaginary, in the same sense that a corporation is a fictitious person. In my view, Dallas is not "real", but the DFW urban area is real. It is a tangible physical object composed of roads, vehicles, buildings, people interacting among themselves, lots of synergy, etc. If the State of Texas disincorporated the "city of Dallas" for some reason, the physical DFW metro would continue to exist. If ETs (assuming there are any) were examining the DFW metro from another planet, they wouldn't see the "city of Dallas", they would only see the DFW metro.

So that's what I mean by it. I'll be glad to hear what you mean by a real city.

I laughed a bit at that reference to the density of Mobile City. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by savanite; 06-30-2012 at 12:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 04:08 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,770 times
You are right that density of neighborhoods will give a better indicator of access/walkability than just the macro view of the entire city's density, which may be misleading. Not sure where those numbers would be, best thing I can think of is looking at the Walk Score of each city at the neighborhood level, and seeing which cities, if any, have any consistency in their 'walkable' nabes. Just a thought.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:48 AM

392 posts, read 633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
You are right that density of neighborhoods will give a better indicator of access/walkability than just the macro view of the entire city's density, which may be misleading. Not sure where those numbers would be, best thing I can think of is looking at the Walk Score of each city at the neighborhood level, and seeing which cities, if any, have any consistency in their 'walkable' nabes. Just a thought.
That sounds like a good approach. Although the Walk Score website has some shortcomings, it's the best we have.

Virtually every metropolitan area will have a somewhat walkable inner core, and a set of outer layers of decreasing walkability, and increasing automobile dependence. That is true of Sunbelt cities, and also older 19th century cities such as Boston, Chicago and San Francisco.

I presume that by "city" you mean metropolitan area. Municipal boundaries are drawn arbitrarily and inconsistently from one metro to another and don't really define anything. Boston city is just part of its metro's urban core, San Francisco is all of the urban core, Dallas is the urban core and outlying residential areas on the edge of the core, Houston is urban core out to and including inner ring suburbs.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:50 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times
Getting away from the density talk and the constant talk of Houston, Dallas, or Austin.....

At Corpus Christi's current growth rate from 2000 to 2010, 10%, the city should have added 3,052 people. This would put the city's population at 308,267.

At 2020, the city would be at 335,736 people. That is assuming that the growth rate will stay at 10%. But I have a feeling this decade that Corpus Christi will grow at as fast a rate as in the 70's and 80's. My guess for 2020 that the city will be at around 350,000-355,000.

Not bad for a city it's size.

(Wow! I did math. Lol.)

Old 07-04-2012, 04:59 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
I believe SA is about to take off like crazy since a lot of the old boy system is getting kick out of town.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:12 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Even in a down economy, we're holding our own and doing very nicely. And we're still turning dirt for new construction in a lot of places. It's as stable as can be during a time like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
This is the first time I ever seen Dallas gain more people than Ft. Worth..I wonder when was the last time that happened?
Ever??? You must be a real young pup. Dallas used to outgain Ft Worth consistently. Granted, Dallas is landlocked, but if planners would start developing in the empty areas, it could kick-start something new.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:15 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Even in a down economy, we're holding our own and doing very nicely. And we're still turning dirt for new construction in a lot of places. It's as stable as can be during a time like this.

Ever??? You must be a real young pup. Dallas used to outgain Ft Worth consistently. Granted, Dallas is landlocked, but if planners would start developing in the empty areas, it could kick-start something new.
Same thing can be said about Fort Worth.... Seriously, there's plenty of open land within the CORE of the city. There are some projects going up, but damn it's slower than most cities.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:27 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,168,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Austin could find itself at number 11 next year if the growth continued this year.
Could be, I think Austin has or about to surpass Indianapolis taking in the 12th largest city this year. I would put Austin around 835,000 to 840,000 as of now.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times
Austin is going to pass Indianapolis and Jacksonville within the next 3 years. Maybe by 2020 it could be in the top 10.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:40 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
San Antonio, I think is the city in
Texas to watch,it is going to explode
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas