Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:22 AM

6 posts, read 28,654 times

Advertisements

im thinking about moving to the waco area. is waco a dump? any nice suburbs of waco where i wont get shot or have my kids abuducuted. lol. ill be a lvn down there. hows the job market for my field in that area. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 10:35 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,222,465 times
Waco definitely has its "dumps" and more crime-filled areas, but one can check out where those are and avoid them. There are also great areas like any place, I guess. Woodway and Midway are nice.

Waco has two large hospitals and many clinics. I would think an LVN wouldn't have any problem finding a decent job.

How's Texas? It's great if you love humidity and heat for about 5 months out of the year, at least in most parts of Texas, it's that way. As far as beauty and scenery goes, it lacks greatly in those categories. It also has its share of severe weather and tornadoes.

In which state do you live now?

Old 09-30-2007, 10:50 AM

6 posts, read 28,654 times
connecticut, are u in the healtcare field. how's temple texas?? i watch americas most wanted yesterday and heard about the boogieman in dallas. tha'ts pretty scary stuff.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:50 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Waco is smack in the middle of Texas' bible belt. As such, you may deal with anti-intellectualism, religious guilt, and silly alcohol laws.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:05 AM

189 posts, read 914,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Waco definitely has its "dumps" and more crime-filled areas, but one can check out where those are and avoid them. There are also great areas like any place, I guess. Woodway and Midway are nice.

Waco has two large hospitals and many clinics. I would think an LVN wouldn't have any problem finding a decent job.

How's Texas? It's great if you love humidity and heat for about 5 months out of the year, at least in most parts of Texas, it's that way. As far as beauty and scenery goes, it lacks greatly in those categories. It also has its share of severe weather and tornadoes.

In which state do you live now?
Do you really think that Texas lacks in beauty and scenery? I have traveled to many states in the US. Each has its beautiful areas. I have always thought that Texas, through its diversity of climate and terrain was to be considered one of the most beautiful -- West Texas -- The Gulf Coast and Padre Island -- The Hill Country -- East Texas, etc.

I don't live in Texas now. The area that I live in doesn't have many scenic wonders but I am looking out my window at a beautiful blue sky and golden sunshine. So, even here there is beauty.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasandman79 View Post
connecticut, are u in the healtcare field. how's temple texas?? i watch americas most wanted yesterday and heard about the boogieman in dallas. tha'ts pretty scary stuff.
No, I'm not in the heathcare field. Temple has Scott and White hospital, an excellent healthcare facility.

I didn't watch AMW and don't know about what was said in Dallas. There are creep-os everywhere and Texas isn't exempt from them. One just has to be careful eventhough sometimes crime can't be avoided. There are just too many killings.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmcb View Post
Do you really think that Texas lacks in beauty and scenery? I have traveled to many states in the US. Each has its beautiful areas. I have always thought that Texas, through its diversity of climate and terrain was to be considered one of the most beautiful -- West Texas -- The Gulf Coast and Padre Island -- The Hill Country -- East Texas, etc.

I don't live in Texas now. The area that I live in doesn't have many scenic wonders but I am looking out my window at a beautiful blue sky and golden sunshine. So, even here there is beauty.

Yes, I do think it lacks in beauty. There are some pretty places like Padre Island, part of the Hill Country and East Texas but in my opinion, most of Texas is just plain and there's nothing spectacular about any of it. I'm sorry; it just hasn't appealed to me in 29 years of living here.

The best things about it are the bright stars on a clear night, pretty sunrises and sunsets and sometimes very blue skies.

As far as the climate goes, I don't think it's all that diversified. It stays hot most of the time. Yes, the short-lived autumns are delightful after beastly hot summers, but they're not colorful. I like winter because it's cold, but it still isn't pretty unless it snows. Wildflowers in Spring are delightful too, but Texas' wildflowers don't even compare to some areas of the country. I must say that Live Oak trees do help with the landscape of parts of the state.

In which state do you live? I'll be sure to avoid it in my quest for relocating as if it isn't as "pretty" as Texas, I don't want to go there.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:

Yes, I do think it lacks in beauty. There are some pretty places like Padre Island, part of the Hill Country and East Texas but in my opinion, most of Texas is just plain and there's nothing spectacular about any of it. I'm sorry; it just hasn't appealed to me in 29 years of living here.

The best things about it are the bright stars on a clear night, pretty sunrises and sunsets and sometimes very blue skies.

As far as the climate goes, I don't think it's all that diversified. It stays hot most of the time. Yes, the short-lived autumns are delightful after beastly hot summers, but they're not colorful. I like winter because it's cold, but it still isn't pretty unless it snows. Wildflowers in Spring are delightful too, but Texas' wildflowers don't even compare to some areas of the country. I must say that Live Oak trees do help with the landscape of parts of the state.

In which state do you live? I'll be sure to avoid it in my quest for relocating as if it isn't as "pretty" as Texas, I don't want to go there.
Well, I wish you luck in relocating and finding scenic beauty. I currently live in Tennessee. There are pretty lakes here and hills. We have had our hottest summer here ever recorded so many lawns are brown and many trees even have died. It will get much colder than I like shortly and be damp and gray-skied for months and months. So, I will come to this site and look at the pictures of Padre Island and remember how, when I was young and stupid, I couldn't be bothered with spending each weekend in summer on the island. And, I did have that opportunity since we had a fishing boat at Jim's Pier and a trailer there also.

My current circumstances don't allow me to move from Tennessee. I hope that yours will allow you to find a place that makes you happier than you are now. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmcb View Post
Well, I wish you luck in relocating and finding scenic beauty. I currently live in Tennessee. There are pretty lakes here and hills. We have had our hottest summer here ever recorded so many lawns are brown and many trees even have died. It will get much colder than I like shortly and be damp and gray-skied for months and months. So, I will come to this site and look at the pictures of Padre Island and remember how, when I was young and stupid, I couldn't be bothered with spending each weekend in summer on the island. And, I did have that opportunity since we had a fishing boat at Jim's Pier and a trailer there also.

My current circumstances don't allow me to move from Tennessee. I hope that yours will allow you to find a place that makes you happier than you are now. Good luck.

I always thought that the mountains in Eastern TN were pretty. I'm not unhappy living here; I just wish that it were prettier. It will be several years before I can leave Texas if I'm ever able to leave at all. Time will tell.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
I always thought that the mountains in Eastern TN were pretty. I'm not unhappy living here; I just wish that it were prettier. It will be several years before I can leave Texas if I'm ever able to leave at all. Time will tell.
You are right about eastern Tennessee. Gatlinburg and surrounding areas are beautiful with the mountains. It has been so many years since I traveled over that way I almost forgot the just how beautiful it is.

Gatlinburg itself is touristy now but I guess so is Padre Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas