Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 10:46 PM

6 posts, read 40,734 times

Advertisements

Looking at Texas for retirement. I am a closet atheist. Not interested in
joining a church, or praising Jesus if I find a dollar bill on the sidewalk.

Do most Texan's make it a point to ask you were you go to church?
Can a non-believer live a happy life in Texas? Do many activities
relvolve around church membership?

Mr. Drysdale

Old 02-13-2007, 11:26 AM

147 posts, read 241,147 times
Default Atheists in Texas

"Do most Texan's make it a point to ask you were you go to church?"

Some Texans might. If you can find one. One half of all adult residents in Texas (2000 census) were born outside the state. There are large suburban counties just outside the large metropolitan areas in which native Texans are hard to find.

They merely ask because they are happy with their church and they want you to be happy as well.

"Can a non-believer live a happy life in Texas?"

Some transplants complain that it is better in the state that they are originally from. But they don't move back there - they move on to the next Sunbelt state. And there is no end in sight to the number of them moving here.

"Do many activities revolve around church membership?" Yes.

Old 02-13-2007, 11:32 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times
Taking Texas as one group is kind of a problem with the question. There are very different regions, and within each region very different groups. In my personal experience, no one has ever questioned whether or where I go to church/temple/etc., and I really don't know where most of my neighbors go (or if they do). There is an 'Austin' thread on this subject from fairly recently.

On the other hand, if you present yourself as an 'atheist on a mission', you will probably get some resistance and/or hostility, I am guessing.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:54 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,098 times
Where I live is the bible belt so from my own view I think you would have a difficult time. I don't think I know a person who is unchurched and I have aquaintances from all different back grounds. I never realized what the bible belt really met until I moved to Florida and experienced living somewhere where it was not considered this.

Old 02-13-2007, 03:10 PM

158 posts, read 659,451 times
It is hard because it is a very conservative area, but not impossible. There is Unitarian church in the suburb of Plano that used to have many aetheists members. You might not want to join, but you could find like minded people to socialize with since you will be in a minority around here. Unitarian churches are very liberal. Dallas proper would probably be a better fit than Fort Worth or many of the suburbs.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:58 PM

8 posts, read 25,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Drysdale View Post
Looking at Texas for retirement. I am a closet atheist. Not interested in
joining a church, or praising Jesus if I find a dollar bill on the sidewalk.

Do most Texan's make it a point to ask you were you go to church?
Can a non-believer live a happy life in Texas? Do many activities
relvolve around church membership?

Mr. Drysdale
I've been wondering the same. I am not really an atheist - more of an agnostic really. I sometimes worry that I may be ostrachized (sp?) or unable to actively socialize.

I've talked to some younger people from the Dallas area who are involved into Buddhism and even go to meditaton classes. I guess, that goes to show that there is some diversity.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:47 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times
Maybe this will help: When I lived for a brief time in the Houston northside suburbs I ran into more evangalists and people who wanted to pray for me than I ever did when I lived innercity Houston. Have a feeling that all of Texas is like that except for maybe the "party" areas like San Padre Island, Galveston and the like. It's still Bible Belt, so they are out there.

Old 02-13-2007, 05:49 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco View Post
I've been wondering the same. I am not really an atheist - more of an agnostic really. I sometimes worry that I may be ostrachized (sp?) or unable to actively socialize.

I've talked to some younger people from the Dallas area who are involved into Buddhism and even go to meditaton classes. I guess, that goes to show that there is some diversity.

Stay out of the small towns and you'll be fine.

Even in San Antonio, not being religious isn't a biggie.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:39 PM

288 posts, read 919,431 times
I've been an atheist my whole life. Lived in San Antonio for 9 years and Austin for 5.5, never had a problem. I don't force my beliefs onto others and expect others not to force theirs upon me.

There are quite a few atheists and agnostics in Austin.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:22 AM

62 posts, read 458,889 times
Here's been my experience being in Texas for 10 years:

"Do most Texan's make it a point to ask you were you go to church?"
NO

"Can a non-believer live a happy life in Texas?"
YES

"Do many activities relvolve around church membership?"
NO

As others have posted, I guess it greatly depends on where you live, and not just the town, but your friends/associates/coworkers who you spend a majority of your time with. I've never had any problems and have never felt uncomfortable with my beliefs while being in Texas.

I think a lot of people from other parts of the country are sold this idea that Texas is this highly conservative, bible thumping state, and I can say that I have not experienced this in normal day to day life.

Incidently, Google the Ethical Society of Austin. I don't want to get into a religious debate here, so I'm not giving any details, but just check it out and see if it's something that might interest you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas