Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In your opinion, is it okay to have no speed limits or have them severely increased if German drivin
You crazy? I can barely handle 55! 3 6.82%
Speed limits need to stay and are fine the way they are. 8 18.18%
I think speed limits are too low, but I wouldn't go as far as throwing them away. 25 56.82%
Follow the Germans! 8 18.18%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:52 AM

138 posts, read 128,323 times

Advertisements

No one has given me yet a good enough answer about high speed limits yet.

In my opinion speed limits are too low these days. The reason is, okay you tell me:

You're going on Texas I-10, or some free open spacious highway like the ones in Utah, okay?

Lets say you're driving 100-150 mph...

Who's life are you endangering? Okay, there's barely any people there. It's just straight flat lands... I don't understand. How is it not safe to drive the car to it's maximum limit in those conditions? In my opinion. Even 150 is safe in those conditions. Nothing is being endangered.

And most people are not so speed greedy anyways. In Germany where speed limits are infinity, most people average out to 88. Not bad.

In areas where speed limits are 70-75. I think those areas also, can handle 80's and low 90's. In areas where speed limits are 55-65, I think 70-80 is about right there.

Now I'm no speed expert. These are just my opinions about what I see.

And my reasoning behind this is that this is the maximum speed that they're saying should be allowed. So you know... they could have a suggested limit that most people can go with.

But I don't think there should be any forced limit at least in areas with speed limits already 75-80. Montana used to be correct. That's exactly how things should run. Montana is a lot like West Texas. Who's life is being endangered?

I'm not a do*che or anything, it's just that this has been a question I've always had, and I don't understand what I'm missing.

The number of accidents is not what is the critical difference between high and low speed limits. The severity of accidents is. So maybe, they could start making cars with better material. They should add more layers of plastic or something like that so that even head-on collisions and not harmful. I don't know. I may be wrong about the layers of material on cars being added and that plastic might be a ridiculous idea. But they should improve their cars, rather than arguing speed limits...

Please someone tell me what am I missing?

And be reasonable about it. Don't just come all out at me calling me an idiot.

A side note: The main thing I don't believe in, and many others don't either is the point that cops are pulling people over...

I think it should be free choice in Utah/Texas/Montana/Kansas type highways, and severely increased in other parts of the country.

Another Sidenote:

Germany has stricter rules in regards to driving which makes it possible to drive incredibly fast but safe:

- you have to drive on the right lane
- left lane only for passing
- German highways are three times thicker and more smooth
- licence test is more difficult
- no phone on ear and no one ever thinks of texting while driving
- cupholders in cars are no as commonly used as in America, cause Germans think driving is an activity by itself.
- cars are safer (i don't mean new cars, you have to get them checked every 2 years and every modification has to be registrated, there is no Pimp my Ride - German edition)

So instead of thinking so much about speed limits, why don't we just follow the German way of driving?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
The autobahn also has speed limits in certain areas ("What? Wait! I thought the Germans had no speed limits at all!") and an advisory speed limit that is the equivalent of approximately 81 mph in the areas where there is no speed limit.

But to answer the question of why not no speed limit at all, it's because of the folks who are just sure that they can drive just as fast as they want with no hazard to others because they're GOOD drivers, who most often tend to be the most dangerous drivers on the road. (For example, talking about how - and no doubt actually believing, insane as it might seem - people who drive slower than they do "force" them to weave in and out of traffic dangerously.)

Old 07-16-2012, 12:59 PM

816 posts, read 1,946,692 times
Oh shoot, there definitely needs to be speed limit because there are a lot of stupid drivers out there. I think 70 is too low for cars today though. Its a matter of where the higher speed limit needs to be.

TexasHorseLady, I bet you picked the first choice on the poll.

Quote:
But I don't think there should be any forced limit at least in areas with speed limits already 75-80. Montana used to be correct. That's exactly how things should run. Montana is a lot like West Texas. Who's life is being endangered?
Have you been to Montana? I don't think it is a lot like West Texas. You might be looking at eastern Montana and not western part of the state where there are trees everywhere.

Montana used to not have speed limit years ago but they enforce the speed limit now. It was due to being one of the most dangerous road in America. I'm talking interstates only. I-15, right?

Montana: No Speed Limit Safety Paradox

Quote:
The number of accidents is not what is the critical difference between high and low speed limits. The severity of accidents is. So maybe, they could start making cars with better material. They should add more layers of plastic or something like that so that even head-on collisions and not harmful. I don't know. I may be wrong about the layers of material on cars being added and that plastic might be a ridiculous idea. But they should improve their cars, rather than arguing speed limits...
I think you should call the auto-industries and tell them how you can solve the problems regarding the materials on cars. They might be willing to listen to you.

By the way, Hi Moderators.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:14 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Nope, I didn't pick the first choice on the poll. I was driving faster than 85 a good 45 years ago in an MGB. Doesn't mean I think that most of the people out there on the public roadways (especially the ones who insist they are) are competent to drive that fast on a road with ANYONE else on it (public roadways). It's the folks who think they're entitled to drive as fast as they please on public roadways and that everyone ELSE is the problem that scare me. It's the attitude, not the speed.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:27 PM

Yes I understand TexasHorseLady.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:10 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
It's totally the attitude. I was on the tollroad last week and was driving in the right lane and came up behind a dump truck. I looked in the left lane to see if it was clear to pass and only saw a van quite a distance back, so I start to go around the truck and am going 80 and the van catches up and gets right on my *** and flashes his lights. Dude, can I get a chance to get back over? Gees, what a Moron he was. I get over and then poor Mr. Inadequate boy parts speeds up and then gets stuck behind 2 18wheelers who are in no hurry to let him have his way. When he finally got past the trucks he hit the gas and disappeared. The speed limit isn't 100 yet and he was way too aggressive with people who were trying to pass slower traffic.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:00 PM

118 posts, read 273,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous_U123456789 View Post
I disagree. The number of accidents is critical and just about all of them are caused by driver (human driver that is) error. We can use technology like google's driverless car to reduce the number of accidents to almost zero. That is how you improve cars. Autonomous cars don't need speed limits either.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:16 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times
I'm with the German's, literally......i married one

Old 07-16-2012, 08:12 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
The problem is that Texas and Texans aren't Germany/German. Most people here that want to drive fast want to do so with no rules. Me.....I just don't know what all the rush and hurry is for and why everyone wants to speed and rush around everywhere. I'm more of the "stop and smell the roses" kind of person. I'd rather see the scenery and enjoy it than see a blur going by the window.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
The problem is that Texas and Texans aren't Germany/German. Most people here that want to drive fast want to do so with no rules. Me.....I just don't know what all the rush and hurry is for and why everyone wants to speed and rush around everywhere. I'm more of the "stop and smell the roses" kind of person. I'd rather see the scenery and enjoy it than see a blur going by the window.
Well for starters, it's fun. It's just fun. I don't know why, but it is.

Yeah, well maybe we should become like Germany. It's a compromise. No speed limits (or severely increased like 60 becomes 100, 65 becomes 105, 70 becomes 110, 75 becomes 115, 80 becomes 120, 85 becomes 125), but stricter driving rules. I think that's an excellent trade off.

See, this is why Germany has no speed limits in some areas. Because they are smart and responsible, unlike many idiots in America. I'm not talking about speeding idiots that drive sensibly. I'm talking about idiot speeders who don't know how to correctly speed, idiots who talk while driving without an earpiece, idiots who text and drive, etc.

Germany gets the reward of no speed limits because of their good driving behavior. Now it's stupid that I have to suffer the speed limits in America because of other people's stupidity. This is why I'm eventually going to move to Germany if something doesn't happen here.

Either severely increase the limits, or throw them out. Do what you have to. Put stricter driving rules. I don't know. Make better quality cars. Something. BUT PLEASE GET RID OF THOSE NONSENSE LIMITS! They're so low!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas