Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 03:06 PM

12 posts, read 44,481 times

Advertisements

Thank you Two4damoney..Tucson has the monsoon season which was a nice break from the heat..and it sure did get cold which is normal for a desert but it wasnt as bad as NY was..and if you have proper heating, that helps too

Thank you CaptnRn. for the charts..I have looked up MANY places thru data-city and am surprised I havent joined years ago..I was just getting confused so thought Id ask people that would know.

I wonder if with the record heat and fires if it would be worth it, but everywhere you go has something..Perhaps Im asking for too tall an order...the main issue is my limited income, otherwise Id be in southern CA. Thanks everyone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 09:09 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc41 View Post
Thank you Two4damoney..Tucson has the monsoon season which was a nice break from the heat..and it sure did get cold which is normal for a desert but it wasnt as bad as NY was..and if you have proper heating, that helps too

Thank you CaptnRn. for the charts..I have looked up MANY places thru data-city and am surprised I havent joined years ago..I was just getting confused so thought Id ask people that would know.

I wonder if with the record heat and fires if it would be worth it, but everywhere you go has something..Perhaps Im asking for too tall an order...the main issue is my limited income, otherwise Id be in southern CA. Thanks everyone
Tucson? Just out of curiosity, what do you consider cold?

Old 11-23-2012, 09:50 AM

12 posts, read 44,481 times
To Cathy4017

To me anything under 55-60 is cold..under 40-45 is painful..When I lived in Tucson, in one apartment, my heater was in the living room and didnt do much for the rest of the place...I'd wear long johns, a tank top, tshirt, sweatshirt, 2 layers of socks, a hat and gloves to bed which had 4-5 layers of blankets,,PLUS I had my big dog to snuggle with..If there was central heat/air it wouldnt be so bad.. When in NY where I lived had furnaces, but walking outside and having my lungs freeze for 7-9 months was miserable. Plus it was always cloudy there..
the desert does get darn cold!! I went to visit once and left NY with a temp of 55 and landed in Tucson which was 20...

Old 11-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc41 View Post
To Cathy4017

To me anything under 55-60 is cold..under 40-45 is painful..When I lived in Tucson, in one apartment, my heater was in the living room and didnt do much for the rest of the place...I'd wear long johns, a tank top, tshirt, sweatshirt, 2 layers of socks, a hat and gloves to bed which had 4-5 layers of blankets,,PLUS I had my big dog to snuggle with..If there was central heat/air it wouldnt be so bad.. When in NY where I lived had furnaces, but walking outside and having my lungs freeze for 7-9 months was miserable. Plus it was always cloudy there..
the desert does get darn cold!! I went to visit once and left NY with a temp of 55 and landed in Tucson which was 20...
Well, in the more dry areas of Texas, it WILL be colder than that. If you were wearing long johns in Tucson (which doesn't get as cold as the desert areas of Texas do most years), you'd do the same in West Texas or the Panhandle (the only relatively dry areas of the state). There are times when the night temps drop into the teens in both areas.

The more humidity there is, the less the range of day to night temperatures. For a more temperate climate (such as the Texas lower Rio Grande Valley) where it doesn't freeze that often, you're going to have to put up with more humidity. But even places like Brownsville can dip into the high 30s in the winter.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
IIRC = "If I recall correctly..." and yes, I was addressing you.

The demographics, politics, scenery and some of the weather in WY really appeal to me, and if it weren't so far from home and family, I'd be up there in a heartbeat. Not sure I could stand the worst part of the winter, though.

I really think that a couple of the posters on this thread should spend part of a summer in any part of Texas before they make the decision to put down roots there. Having grown up in dry WT, it amazes me that I tolerated heat like that when I was younger, dry notwithstanding!

Can't handle it now, and even if I come home, I won't be spending June-mid-September there.
Likewise you should spend part of January in Wyoming before you decide to move there, and keep in mind that winter is 9 months long up there.

To the OP you should read this thread before focusing on Midland - Odessa //www.city-data.com/forum/texas...cult-rent.html

Marfa, TX is another small town near Alpine that has low humidity, low cost of living and a artist community, that would be worth considering. //www.city-data.com/city/Marfa-Texas.html http://www.marfacc.com/

Last edited by CptnRn; 11-23-2012 at 12:11 PM..

Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Likewise you should spend part of January in Wyoming before you decide to move there, and keep in mind that winter is 9 months long up there.

To the OP you should read this thread before focusing on Midland - Odessa //www.city-data.com/forum/texas...cult-rent.html

Marfa, TX is another small town near Alpine that has low humidity, low cost of living and a artist community, that would be worth considering. //www.city-data.com/city/Marfa-Texas.html The Official Marfa, Texas Chamber of Commerce Website
I ruled WY out because it's so far, but I do plan to spend some summers up there at some point. I also might spend part of a winter, just to see what severely cold weather really is--I haven't been in anything colder than -20.

I don't think native Texans have any real idea of just how severely cold it has to be up there. They see only the relatively pleasant summers.

But we do know about heat, unfortunately.

As far as Marfa goes, the low cost does NOT apply to buying housing. The prices in both Alpine and Marfa are out of sight. In Marfa, it's hard to find something decent that isn't next to a junker.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:07 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I ruled WY out because it's so far, but I do plan to spend some summers up there at some point. I also might spend part of a winter, just to see what severely cold weather really is--I haven't been in anything colder than -20.

I don't think native Texans have any real idea of just how severely cold it has to be up there. They see only the relatively pleasant summers.

But we do know about heat, unfortunately.

As far as Marfa goes, the low cost does NOT apply to buying housing. The prices in both Alpine and Marfa are out of sight. In Marfa, it's hard to find something decent that isn't next to a junker.
In many parts of Wyoming it is not just the extreme cold that gets you but also the high wind speeds. I walked around a corner once in Casper, Wyoming and when I braced against the wind that hit me, it literally blew me a good 10' down the icy sidewalk. Check out this wind map.

http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/i...wy_50m_800.jpg

In regard to Alpine and Marfa, it is almost always that case with small towns that there is a limited housing stock, but I'm surprised to hear you say housing is expensive there. City-Data seems to indicate it is low, although they say their data is from 2009.

Median gross rent in 2009: $500.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Marfa-...#ixzz2D4sWMeh9
[/LEFT]
Median house or condo value / Median gross rent:
Texas $125,800 / ?
Marfa $98,609 / $500
Alpine $92,155 / $543
Odessa $100,500 / $745
Midland $130,600 / $861
Kerrville $134,370 / $684
Fredericksburg $195,313 / $784

Old 11-23-2012, 02:00 PM

Yep, WY does have a well-earned reputation for high winds that blow pretty often! WT can get pretty bad, but I imagine WY is worse. Like heat/humidity, the combination of high wind and extreme cold is hard.

I guess it depends on what you want as far as housing goes. I have been looking in Alpine/Marfa/FD off and on since 2010, and the nicer 3BR/2BA/2 car garage homes with greater than 1500 sq ft are expensive compared to Midland (forget for the moment that Midland and Odessa are booming right now. I'm talking average non-boom prices.

For what you get, I consider Alpine extremely expensive in all categories. I didn't find anything I'd live in that was under $225K.

But I'm most likely headed that way before long. It's either Alpine/FD or I stay where I am. To get what I want, I'm going to have to build. :-( I'd have to do so much to an existing property that it's not worth it. We're talking extensive remodeling, and all factors considered, I found it just as expensive as building new in most cases, depending on the area.

You look at Midland/Odessa (again, average non-boom), San Angelo, Fort Stockton, Del Rio, Ozona.....Alpine and Marfa (except for junkers and fixer-uppers) are more $$$ overall. Scarcity and supply/demand definitely determine the prices.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 11-23-2012 at 02:09 PM..

Old 11-23-2012, 02:32 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
What do you think is humid? Where have you been that you thought it was humid?

Texas is less humid than the east coast. It is less humid than the gulf coast, though Houston is not much different from New Orleans.

Austin's summer climate starts in the morning with a fair amount of humidity and finishes the day around 45%. Most of Texas is less humid than Atlanta for example. Dallas is about the same.
Austin is West of the dryline and is drier than the DFW area. Austin gets less rain than Dallas too. Dallas is humid. Dewpoints over 60 degrees is considered humid and DFW has that much of the summer.

Amarillo and points North are dry and most of the time the weather is pleasant. They do get a few blizzards each year, but its usually over the next day. Lubbock is a bit warmer but being a college town, it has more to do and a better medical establishment.

There is no income Tax in TX. For those on fixed incomes which is taxed in many other states, then that can be a plus. Rural counties have MUCH lower property taxes than the bigger towns. If you carefully look at tax rates, and don't mind living 20 miles out of town, you can cut your tax bill in half.

If AZ is being considered, then Sedona, Prescott, and Flagstaff come to mind.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:45 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,606,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Austin is West of the dryline and is drier than the DFW area. Austin gets less rain than Dallas too. Dallas is humid. Dewpoints over 60 degrees is considered humid and DFW has that much of the summer.
Actually, Austin falls into the "sub-humid sub-tropical" area of Texas, and not far from "humid-subtropical". Here is a good map of the state in terms of climatical ranges.

The Climate of Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas