U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 07:03 PM

471 posts, read 743,882 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised here, been back a year and a half after a 24 year military career, it's great to be back home and all that but there's too many damn people here now from out of state. No offense to anyone. Urban sprawl is out of control. Thinking about moving west in the next year or so, buy a house for dirt cheap and live off my retirement in peace. Want to live in Comancheria, somewhere that the sprawl will never get to in my lifetime. I go on mini road trips on my motorcycle every weekend, out past Glenrose (God that's a packed tourist town now), up to Nacona, ect. Every time I go through someplace stuck in the 1950's I wish I was living there. Looking at the area possibly north and south of Abilene so I wouldn't have to travel too far to come back and visit family. Or even west of Waco. Any nice small towns to recommend? Just to throw out a couple I've searched are Comanche, Brownwood, Graham (cool drive in theater). I don't know, there's a lot. I may ride out to Comanche this weekend. Maybe some place with a couple thousand people at most, a town square and a grocery store but that's about all I need.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 02:59 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,223,366 times
I would look at somewhere South and West of Vernon/Quanah along hwy 70. That country continues to empty out and there are quite a few homes that can be bought cheaply. Its close enough. The smaller towns along 70 are right out of the 50s.

A number of ranches are looking for hands and you might be able to get on part-time. OR, Get your TCLOSE and you can get on with the county sheriff.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 PM

13,395 posts, read 7,918,419 times
What about Hico, is it ruined yet.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 AM

4,276 posts, read 7,751,575 times
Take a look at Menard. Compare it to nearby Mason. Both are off the beaten paths - no freeways in the area. Menard is what Mason was like before Mason was "discovered" and revived. Both are very livable towns with good waterways nearby.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:53 AM

714 posts, read 2,676,298 times
I've travelled the Abilene area extensively in the last few years, A few towns that stick out are Haskell, Albany, Aspermont, and Santa Anna. However, finding work is always an issue out there.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:50 PM

8,746 posts, read 8,119,495 times
Here in the Abilene area, Anson, Albany, and Stamford have always seemed like fairly nice small towns to me (nicer than some of the others in this area). I've also been to Breckenridge and Comanche a lot over the years while we were fishing at Hubbard Creek Lake near Breckenridge and Lake Proctor near Comanche. Both of those seem to be fairly nice small towns.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:12 PM

570 posts, read 1,078,850 times
Graham and Brownwood would be on my short list for the area. Another town that I am fond of is Ballinger. Lots of really cool looking older homes on the north side of town, plus you are 36 miles to San Angelo and 55 miles from Abilene.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 AM

10,536 posts, read 22,415,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Take a look at Menard.
No!!! Unless you have actually lived in Menard, you have no idea of the problems there! My sister-in-law and her daughters recently moved away from Menard and they hated living there. The drug problems, especially meth, are very bad. There is one small grocery store and it often has only spoiled food, etc. Nearest Walmart for other household stuff is in Brady 30 miles away! And if you need a job...good luck...there aren't any! She absolutely hated living in Menard!

Old 07-27-2012, 12:37 PM

5,296 posts, read 12,226,339 times
Junction ... Brady

Old 07-27-2012, 01:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 7,918,419 times
It's beautiful around Graham. Man, all this talk is reminding me of places I haven't been to in a while. A road trip may be in order, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas