Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your feeling on outsiders moving in to Texas?
Love it! Everyone is welcome here 36 41.86%
Dislike it! 26 30.23%
It doesn't matter to me 24 27.91%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:22 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,837 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what Texans think of people from other states moving to Texas. I notice a considerable number of people from northern states, and especially California moving to Texas, most of them doing so "to start a new life".

If you've lived in Texas for a large chunk of your life, you are welcome to use the poll. How do you feel about these people moving to your state? Are you happy about the prospect of more diversity? Or are you upset that your state has become a refuge for people unhappy with their bad weather and/or bad political locales.

Personally, I'm not planning to move to Texas as I'm happy where I'm at now. However, having spent a number of years in a desirable vacation town, I know the feeling of having outsiders come on to 'your' "turf".

All opinions are welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
I don't really like the rapid growth of Texas and all of its bigger areas. There are just too many people there now, but everybody seems to think that growth is the best thing on earth, and the bigger and faster it occurs, the better.

I like steady growth over a longer period of time, but not crazy booms, such as Midland. It was just too much! Ditto Austin.

Having said that, I don't mind others moving to Texas per se. What I hate is when they go there and complain bitterly about how it's not like from whence they came. They carp and gripe about how much better it was "back home."

I saw this time and time again in Midland, and when I'd ask them why they stayed there if they hated Texas so much, there was either silence or some mumbling about needing a job!

Old 07-25-2012, 11:23 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I don't really like the rapid growth of Texas and all of its bigger areas. There are just too many people there now, but everybody seems to think that growth is the best thing on earth, and the bigger and faster it occurs, the better.

I like steady growth over a longer period of time, but not crazy booms, such as Midland. It was just too much! Ditto Austin.

Having said that, I don't mind others moving to Texas per se. What I hate is when they go there and complain bitterly about how it's not like from whence they came. They carp and gripe about how much better it was "back home."

I saw this time and time again in Midland, and when I'd ask them why they stayed there if they hated Texas so much, there was either silence or some mumbling about needing a job!
This pretty much says it. Love Texas, it'll love you right back. Come here and complain or, worse, try to make it over into a copy of where you came from? Not interested.

Also, too rapid growth/change/"progress" is the death knell anywhere for the things that make wherever it is a place people want to go. Texas is no different.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:29 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
I have lived in Texas since 1975. I have lived in many places and visited many many more.

I have no problem with newcomers. I just don't want them to try very hard to make us like California, New York, Oregon, etc.

I'd be fine with them bringing California weather, but we know they can't do that. I just don't want to grow the attitude that we need a lot of government here.

I don't like everything in Texas. It is not heaven on earth. But there is lots to like if you value independence, space, and self-reliance.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:41 PM

816 posts, read 1,947,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

I agree 100%.

I'm just worried for the water shortage in the future as the population of Texas continues to grow rapidly.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:07 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
As a Texas loving transplant who was drawn to this wonderful state in part by the qualities Hoffdano mentions above (independence, space, self-reliance), I am disappointed in the poll results at the moment (the xenophobic attitude is winning).

Here's a take on this issue from the Fort Hood newspaper:

Quote:
There are two kinds of Texans; the first kind is the genuinely kind and gracious person who is actually glad to see you and wants to get to know you. The second kind presents a hail-fellow-well-met façade when he or she greets you, but you’ll never, ever get an invitation to their inner circle of friends for any reason, let alone an invitation to a barn-burning.

The “Second Kind” are the way they are because, in their minds, outsiders don’t belong. You can live in the same home town with ‘em, but you will never, ever be a part of the social strata. You will forever be the “new kid” in town, even fifty years later…and even if you are a native Texan, six or seven generations back. To them, you will never be truly from (insert small town name here) and that’s that.
Friendship, not xenophobia, is Texas motto - Leisure - Fort Hood Sentinel

Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Well, some of us haven't voted because the poll only offers three choices and those don't match our feelings. I refer you to the actual comments in the thread for those, I think. Which is, we welcome some outsiders and don't welcome others, depending on their attitude towards our Great State.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:45 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, some of us haven't voted because the poll only offers three choices and those don't match our feelings. I refer you to the actual comments in the thread for those, I think. Which is, we welcome some outsiders and don't welcome others, depending on their attitude towards our Great State.
Oh I know that I am welcomed by most Texans, because I am so charming and delightful.

I have run into a few of the writer's "second kind" of Texans, but they are nowhere close to the majority based on my experiences.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,873,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Exactly. I wanted another choice, so I didn't actually vote in the poll.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 PM

933 posts, read 1,533,134 times
I see no problem with people from other parts of the country moving and bringing civilization to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas