Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 02:01 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,143 times

Advertisements

Do you think Midland/Odessa should be considered in the Big Bend Country or Panhandle Plains?Texas Highways puts it in the Big Bend country when its hours away from the Big Bend and the adjacent county,Martin County, on Interstate Highway 20 to the east and State Highway 349 to the north is the Panhandle Plains.I know that Texas Highways classifies some other parts of the state differently than what some Texans might. for example Big Lake and Ozona are officially in the Hill Country.So what do yall think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 02:09 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
Do you think Midland/Odessa should be considered in the Big Bend Country or Panhandle Plains?Texas Highways puts it in the Big Bend country when its hours away from the Big Bend and the adjacent county,Martin County, on Interstate Highway 20 to the east and State Highway 349 to the north is the Panhandle Plains.I know that Texas Highways classifies some other parts of the state differently than what some Texans might. for example Big Lake and Ozona are officially in the Hill Country.So what do yall think?
I've noticed that in TH, as well. I've only been through that area 3 times, it strikes me as plains more than Big Bend country.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:32 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,575,994 times
It's arid like Big Bend Country, but it's flat like the Panhandle Plains. Texas Highways probably put it in the Big Bend region because if it wasn't, there'd only be El Paso as far as large cities go in that entire corner of the state. Outsiders probably would have a hard time finding dissimilarities between Midland-Odessa and Lubbock and Amarillo, so it's more natural for it to be in the plains region I'd say. The Permian Basin is a crossover area really.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Midland has been called "The Gateway to Big Bend", and I suppose that is because it has the nearest major airport. It does seem more like Panhandle Plains to me, though.

Ozona and Big Lake do NOT belong in the classification of "Hill Country." I've always disagreed with Texas Highways' breakout/interpretation on the different areas. Both are way too far west to be classified thus. IMHO, the "Hill Country" starts east of Junction. While neither are flat like Midland, they would both fit "Big Bend" better than "Hill Country."

Old 08-05-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Midland has been called "The Gateway to Big Bend", and I suppose that is because it has the nearest major airport. It does seem more like Panhandle Plains to me, though.

Ozona and Big Lake do NOT belong in the classification of "Hill Country." I've always disagreed with Texas Highways' breakout/interpretation on the different areas. Both are way too far west to be classified thus. IMHO, the "Hill Country" starts east of Junction. While neither are flat like Midland, they would both fit "Big Bend" better than "Hill Country."
thanks for replying Cathy.ya i agree with you and westerner about Midessa being more like the Panhandle Plains.Good point westerner about the Permian Basin being a transition area....Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-05-2012 at 08:33 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 04:09 PM

well maybe a better classification for Big Lake/Ozona would be the Panhandle Plains cuz San Angelo is Panhandle Plains and its not totally flat like Midland Odessa....taylor county aint totally flat either.However,i like the Hill Country classification.hey cathy, how come u dont consider junction hill country?

Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,874,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
well maybe a better classification for Big Lake/Ozona would be the Panhandle Plains cuz San Angelo is Panhandle Plains and its not totally flat like Midland Odessa....taylor county aint totally flat either.However,i like the Hill Country classification.hey cathy, how come u dont consider junction hill country?
Ozona is rough, hilly canyon country like Del Rio, more so than San Angelo, but has some elements of all three classifications (Hill Country, Big Bend, Panhandle Plains). Even so, it strikes me as more Big Bend, especially the higher sections of NW Crockett county, and the rougher areas south toward Val Verde county.

The fact that TH can classify Ozona as being in the "Hill Country" at all makes me realize just how subjective all this really is, LOL!

You could consider Junction the start of the Hill Country when you start going east. I guess I always think of the Hill Country as being greener and with a lot more trees of different varieties than you see in West Texas.

Moderator cut: Off-Topic

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-05-2012 at 08:34 PM..

Old 08-05-2012, 04:59 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,163,578 times
I thought the designation for Mid-Odessa was "Permian Basin?" That makes more sense to me than saying it fits into either the plains or Big Bend. Another term that is used in reference to Big Bend and far west Texas is Trans-Pecos.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I thought the designation for Mid-Odessa was "Permian Basin?" That makes more sense to me than saying it fits into either the plains or Big Bend. Another term that is used in reference to Big Bend and far west Texas is Trans-Pecos.

hey joqua to answer your question the term that Texas highways uses is Big Bend Country but Midland Odessa is also called Permian Basin more commonly.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:05 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
I always called it "West Texas"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas