Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:59 PM

53 posts, read 73,764 times

Advertisements

My wife and 2-yo son are visiting me from out of state. (They've never been to Texas before, I moved here recently for a new job.) We will be going to the beach at Rockport. Are any of the Mexican towns safe enough for a family to visit? We hear all the horror stories in the news about headless bodies and stuff.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 06:25 AM

611 posts, read 2,226,281 times
the answer is no....I am sure some total buffoon will come along and say yes go and have a good time just mind your own business, but there is no just minding your own business in those places any longer that ended about 5 to 7 years ago at least

but decide for yourself

matamoros site:www.borderlandbeat.com - Google Search

reynosa site:www.borderlandbeat.com - Google Search

there is nothing special left to do or see there anyway especially for a 2yo....the pinata shops are closed and gone, the trinket shops and tourist shops are closed and gone.....those that are still open can just as easily be a target than anything else because they will almost certainly be paying protection to someone and when someone else decides they want in on that action the grenades and bullets fly

the bars are closed, the restaurants are gone, and the fun is over it is a very violent place and it can happen anytime and anywhere and that does not inculed the off chance that you are targeted by some bored or broke or just vile person for kidnapping, car jacking, or worse....they no longer "mug" people down there they just kill you and take what you have and walk away with impunity

Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,617,758 times
I agree not safe.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:36 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,912,165 times
Lol, exactly what TexasVines says. Every time this question comes up, there are one or two posters who insist it's just unicorns & sunshine across the border. There is no point going there. Especially Matamoros or Reynosa. They're not interesting even in peaceful times. Btw--the headless body stories are not just stories. Enjoy Rockport. A two year old won't care where he is! There is a kid-friendly aquarium in Corpus, but he might like that better in another year.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:07 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,419,008 times
Wouldn't go. Also realize that Rockport is not all that close to the border, but rather closer to Corpus. Lots of stuff to do in Corpus and you can also head over to Port Aransas or the Padre Island National Seashore.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:36 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,468,473 times
I wouldn't even think about going anywhere close to the border. Rockport and the Corpus area have plenty for your son to do. Take him to the Rockport beach...perfect for kids. The State Aquarium is there in Corpus, as well as the Lexington. Have a great time with your family!!

Old 08-07-2012, 04:35 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,396,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorpus View Post
Mexican towns ?
The border towns in Mexico have nothing to see, never mind the drug war. The interior of Mexico and it's coastal areas have many beautiful places to see but unfortunately these days it would be very foolish to go there, especially with a child. Stick to Texas or anywhere north of the border. If you want beaches check out Corpus Area and South Padre Island. The latter is pricey this time of year. Prices go down in the fall. Texas has many other nice places to visit besides the beaches.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:06 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,852,711 times
If you want a true taste of Mexico... go to San Antonio. Much safer.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 PM

4,051 posts, read 5,612,932 times
That's not true. I go to San Antonio all the time and it's not like Mexico.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:52 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,215,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
That's not true. I go to San Antonio all the time and it's not like Mexico.
Well, it's all about perception. It depends where one is from and what side of town you go to. If I was visiting from Maine, and went to the corner of Ruiz and Sabinas St on the west side, I would say it's like Mexico. If I was from East LA and went to Stone Oak, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas