Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: RELOCATION: DALLAS OR HOUSTON OR OTHER TEXAS CITY?
DALLAS 12 44.44%
HOUSTON 11 40.74%
OTHER TEXAS CITY 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 08:16 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,884 times

Advertisements

I had to make the same choice and did very extensive research on both places as well as visiting both places several times. Houston is better for relocation overall. It is infact the #1 relocation spot in the entire US.

Houston is on the coast and is closer to Austin and San Antonio. It is also green here all year round. If you are a little concerned about Hurricanes just move to the West side of town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 09:40 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
Yes, Houston....you have days to get out of town should a hurricane come this way. Many of them never hit us though.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:57 PM

18 posts, read 36,999 times
I've heard that people can get here from New York, but have not seen it happen in person. (wink)

Either one will work for ya. Just don't panic if some ole gal dumps out her purse to find something and a couple
handguns fall out.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:52 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ry1an3 View Post
Houston would be the best for night life. Houston isn't very centralized when it comes to nightlife (Not ALL the fun or excitement is in downtown, uptown, or even midtown, Although there is a lot of nightlife in those areas. Almost every bar, club, strip club, bowling ally etc..in the suburbs and other places in Houston is packed on the weekends and some week nights and can usually be the best places to meet people without blowing a ton of cash. And alot of entertainment in the suburbs has become pretty hip and official with out the costs of the A list places. And just the streets of Houston can be pretty exciting theres some trill ppl here. Theres entertainment in suburbs of other Texas although most of the entertainment is more centralized in dowtown areas. but the entertainment spread throught the cities doesn't seem to be as poppin from what I've seen.

As far as weather goes Houston stays cooler in the summer and warmer in the winters mainly because its on the Gulf Coast and we recieve alot of weather as a result of that. So in the summers theres usually lots of rain and nice cloud cover just about every other day which keeps the temps down, but you can't factor out the humidity which can make it feel hotter than it is but its not a dry heat. In the evenings theres usually a nice breeze to help cool things down quicker. But honestly there are some days that are trippple digits, high humidity, no cloud cover, and no breeze and it feels like a sauna, but it stays green and lush all year around(in other Texas cities its hard to get alot of plants to grow, in Houston its hard to keep alot of them under control) and i prefer the flat coastal feel rather than the hills in the other big Texas cities. You should really visit them first because thier all completly different. I would check out the photo threads for all the cities, theres really good pics in all of them and you can kind of get a little feel for each city, but Texas itself is very different from other states and each city brings something very different to the table.
Funny, I think the night life in Dallas is much better than Houston. To each their own I guess.

You guys are also sugar coating the summers there for sure. Houston feels like a sauna for most of the day. You wont walk outside during a summer day in Dallas and immediately want to take another shower.

Dallas is a furnace, but Houston is a steam room.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:06 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Funny, I think the night life in Dallas is much better than Houston. To each their own I guess.

You guys are also sugar coating the summers there for sure. Houston feels like a sauna for most of the day. You wont walk outside during a summer day in Dallas and immediately want to take another shower.

Dallas is a furnace, but Houston is a steam room.
Even I agree that they were laying it on a little thick. I personally prefer cloudy and humid to sunny and dry, but Houston's summers cannot be described as "way cooler". Coming from New York, though, the OP should be accustomed to humid heat.

I'm still not able to say which city would be the better fit, based on what the OP has given us. So far, both cities would work for her.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Even I agree that they were laying it on a little thick. I personally prefer cloudy and humid to sunny and dry, but Houston's summers cannot be described as "way cooler". Coming from New York, though, the OP should be accustomed to humid heat.

I'm still not able to say which city would be the better fit, based on what the OP has given us. So far, both cities would work for her.
I always hate the idea that people make relocation decisions based on CD. Many times it does not translate to real life.

Ironically my boss is pushing hard to relocate me to Houston and I'm fighting it hard. I don't want to leave DFW and that's not meant to be a knock at Houston. In my 150 plus visits, I know I would not like living there as much. Many people feel the opposite and that's why it's important to visit a place before choosing.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:25 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyt0714 View Post
really...i keep hearing that houston is hotter than dallas
Houston's actual summer time temp. is several degrees lower than Dallas, its the heat index from being so close to the warm waters of the Gulf that makes it feel so hot.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:14 AM

229 posts, read 304,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston's actual summer time temp. is several degrees lower than Dallas, its the heat index from being so close to the warm waters of the Gulf that makes it feel so hot.
95 degrees with high humidity and 100 degrees with lower humidity both feel the same, miserable.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:52 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
95 degrees with high humidity and 100 degrees with lower humidity both feel the same, miserable.
Thankfully its only that way 3 or 4 months out of the year. The other 8 or 9 months are very pleasant.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:25 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Thankfully its only that way 3 or 4 months out of the year. The other 8 or 9 months are very pleasant.
More like 6 months..April -September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas