Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 PM

108 posts, read 393,007 times

Advertisements

What would it be like working for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice are a Correctional Officer ?

I noticed that they are hiring in Several remote locations in Texas.

Does anyone know what it would be like working at one of the prisons units listed below ?

Connally (Kenedy, TX)
Dalhart (Dalhart, Texas)
Ft. Stockton (Fort Stockton, Texas)
Lynaugh (Fort Stockton, Texas)
McConnell (Beeville, TX )
Smith (Beaumont, TX)
Stiles (Lamesa, TX)

What would it be like living in one of these cities where the prisons are located ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
What would it be like working for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice are a Correctional Officer ?
My late brother-in-law worked for the TDJC in the Beaumont area as some sort of an investigator. He had many years experience as a Dallas area policeman and a BA degree. He retired from TDJC a few years ago but cancer got him. I don't think he had much good to say about TDJC especially the office politics of the agency but that's just one person's opinion. The only way you will ever know is to try it. Nowadays I think office politics are difficult to deal with in a Burger King.

Good luck.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:02 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,264,594 times
The only difference between you and the inmates is you get a pay check. Outside of that, you're locked up doing time like everyone else.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
I've had several friends who worked at the big units near Tennessee Colony in east Texas. One liked it, but he was a mounted guard so he was on a horse outside, and not locked up inside. The other was a regular CO inside,and he only stayed a year or so. Remember that Texas prisons are NOT air conditioned, so when it's 108 degrees outsi in the summer, it's even hotter than that inside the prisons.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:18 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,720 times
I'm a correctional officer at one of the locations that you listed above -- The Fort Stockton N5 Unit in Fort Stockton , Texas

By and large being a CO for TDCJ isn't the best job in the world but the Fort Stockton Unit is IMHO one of the best in the System to work at.

--It is one of the few that is air conditioned.

The story behind that.

There are I think 112 TDCJ units and I believe 17 of them are A/C'ed. They are mostly hospitals and psychiatric facilities. The reason why Fort Stockton Unit is A/C'ed is that it was originally built as a private facility in the very early '90's but company behind it went out of business right when the unit opened. The company was out of Dallas. Around the same time TDCJ was expanding to West Texas thanks to Ann Richards and TDCJ too over the facility.

--Shifts are 8 hrs and 45 mins each day and the work week is 6 on 3 off.

-- The unit has a capacity of 600 offenders. The smallest kind of Texas state prison unit there is.

--Most inmates going through the unit have relatively short sentences, 5 years or less. When inmates are so close to going to the house they are much less likely to start trouble.

--It's right outside of the town. My commute to the unit is about 2 miles.

--It is entirely indoors.

As of right now due to an influx of people coming from El Paso to work and a recently enacted $3000 bonus, Ft. Stockton N5 is about 99% staffed and Lynaugh is up there, too.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask me via PM. The unit is excellent, it's just Fort Stockton, as some here may know sucks and is in the middle of nowhere. I'm originally from Houston so I'm trying to get to a Huntsville unit is a couple of months.

What I personally like about the TDCJ is that the job is very stable, pays OK for a single person to live on and the organization is very rich in history. The System is 163 years old and its oldest units near Huntsville and Houston are still in operation.

Feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 10-08-2012 at 05:37 PM..

Old 10-08-2012, 05:28 PM

867 posts, read 2,976,720 times
Lynaugh is our sister unit in Ft. Stockton. Also laid back, but it's a good 14 miles drive to that unit in the middle of nowhere. That's why I choose not to work there.

Connally, McConnell and Smith Units to my knowledge have mandatory overtime, so if you go to work there you'll make OK money.

Don't know much about Dalhart. It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere like Ft. Stockton. I've heard that they have CO's from Amarillo go there to work overtime.

Stiles is pretty rough. As you may notice that unit is in close proximity to Beaumont so there is a good labor pool closeby it's just that the unit is apparently not a good place to work. The Backgate Website: Stiles Officer in serious condition after stabbing by Seg inmate

There was a Chronicle story a few years ago talking about how CO's there at Stiles were making $70K a year with overtime.

Last edited by Alphalogica; 10-08-2012 at 05:41 PM..

Old 04-19-2018, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,428 times
I know this was posted about 6 years ago but I will work for the Lynaugh unit in a couple of months, I was just wondering if it had AC and if it was still a good place to work fo4

Old 07-13-2018, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,244 times
My elderly parents going to go visit my brother soon. Is there such a house across unit where they may stay to sleep?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas