Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 08:50 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
But Dallas isn't the only major city in this area. You know... in case you forgot.
True, but Fort Worth is not a typical major city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:18 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
True, but Fort Worth is not a typical major city.
Explain.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Explain.
You know what I'm going to say but here it goes....

Fort Worth is a 2nd tier major city. It's isn't known like most major cities around the USA. Most people in DFW don't even know that Fort Worth has a population over 700,000 because it lack urban areas, people assume that it's a suburb. The water towers that's plastered with the Fort Worth logo doesn't help (which suburbs do a lot)

Old 04-29-2014, 10:02 PM
JJG

Quote:
You know what I'm going to say but here it goes....

Fort Worth is a 2nd tier major city. It's isn't known like most major cities around the USA. Most people in DFW don't even know that Fort Worth has a population over 700,000 because it lack urban areas, people assume that it's a suburb. The water towers that's plastered with the Fort Worth logo doesn't help (which suburbs do a lot)
... MOST people? Seriously? I'm pretty sure most people in DFW realize that Fort Worth is a large city. People only assume it's a suburb because it's not as well known, have of that being because Dallasites like the idea of having a suburb with over 700,000 people to make their city look bigger and better than what it actually is.

And for a city of our size, we do have a decent amount of urban areas, some growing faster than others like West 7th and the Near Southside.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
... MOST people? Seriously? I'm pretty sure most people in DFW realize that Fort Worth is a large city. People only assume it's a suburb because it's not as well known, have of that being because Dallasites like the idea of having a suburb with over 700,000 people to make their city look bigger and better than what it actually is.

And for a city of our size, we do have a decent amount of urban areas, some growing faster than others like West 7th and the Near Southside.
Let's be real here....it really doesn't feel like I'm in the city when I'm in Fort Worth. It's the most suburban major city in Texas. Do you really think the average person thinks Fort Worth has a population over 700k? I don't care how much you're a Fort Worth homer but Fort Worth will continue to be viewed as a suburb until some major urban developments are built in the city.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:58 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Let's be real here....it really doesn't feel like I'm in the city when I'm in Fort Worth. It's the most suburban major city in Texas. Do you really think the average person thinks Fort Worth has a population over 700k? I don't care how much you're a Fort Worth homer but Fort Worth will continue to be viewed as a suburb until some major urban developments are built in the city.
No pun intended but thats why I always compare DT Ft.Worth to the west end in Dallas. Its vibrant busy and fun(for a min).....Then you kinda start wondering where evertything else is since DT Ft.Worth becomes boring so fast.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:26 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
I do see the point you are trying to make. A city like Columbus, Ohio does feel like a much larger city than Ft Worth. A lot of the population that Ft Worth captures in it's growth North is so far from the core that it doesn't affect the central city at all. Ft Worth has a very nice downtown, but it reminds me more of a place like Savannah or Charleston, SC at street level (it obviously has some taller buildings) then one of the largest U.S. cities. I think that's what gives Ft Worth a lot of it's charm though. It feels like a small city in a large city. That's not a bad thing. It's actually a good contrast when you have Dallas next door, they compliment each other well.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:28 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I do see the point you are trying to make. A city like Columbus, Ohio does feel like a much larger city than Ft Worth. A lot of the population that Ft Worth captures in it's growth North is so far from the core that it doesn't affect the central city at all. Ft Worth has a very nice downtown, but it reminds me more of a place like Savannah or Charleston, SC at street level (it obviously has some taller buildings) then one of the largest U.S. cities. I think that's what gives Ft Worth a lot of it's charm though. It feels like a small city in a large city. That's not a bad thing. It's actually a good contrast when you have Dallas next door, they compliment each other well.
I agree.

I hope Fort Worth NEVER tries to be like Dallas. I like both cities - but I would hate for Fort Worth to lose it's unique charm.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 PM
JJG

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
No pun intended but thats why I always compare DT Ft.Worth to the west end in Dallas. Its vibrant busy and fun(for a min).....Then you kinda start wondering where evertything else is since DT Ft.Worth becomes boring so fast.

Of course YOU think that. Fort Worth grew in different ways but we have the infrastructure and plans to build. Hell, the dirt has already started moving on our Trinity River project.

Fort Worth is 2/3 the size of Dallas. You're SUPPOSED to have more and you're SUPPOSED to be more urban. But to think that Fort Worth has NO major urban developments going on is ridiculous and ignorant. You just don't think that because you don't want to think that. You say it's boring because you WANT to think of it as "boring". And you didn't even mention West 7th... the Cultural District... the Near Southside... all areas currently experiencing urban renewal.

And dude... don't ever compare our downtown to the ho-hum West End...

Old 04-30-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:

Of course YOU think that. Fort Worth grew in different ways but we have the infrastructure and plans to build. Hell, the dirt has already started moving on our Trinity River project.

Fort Worth is 2/3 the size of Dallas. You're SUPPOSED to have more and you're SUPPOSED to be more urban. But to think that Fort Worth has NO major urban developments going on is ridiculous and ignorant. You just don't think that because you don't want to think that. You say it's boring because you WANT to think of it as "boring". And you didn't even mention West 7th... the Cultural District... the Near Southside... all areas currently experiencing urban renewal.

And dude... don't ever compare our downtown to the ho-hum West End...
That's not always the case...

When you have a population that large, the majority of the city shouldn't be suburban. The majority of the growth in Fort Worth is from suburban tract houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas