Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:54 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,256,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Its an honest question. I genuinely want to know what kinds of food are available in the Houston area that arent in the Dallas area.

In my opinion, both are top notch in the food department. The only noticeable difference Ive found has to do with seafood.
In my opinion, it's not so much about what can't be found in Dallas, but the quality and quantity found in Houston. For example, both cities have an endless sea of Mexican food, but Houston is often seen as having the better restaurants for that cuisine.

Of course it's all relative and easily arguable, but I personally believe Houston is easily the best food city in Texas, and several publications tend to say the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 05:21 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,358,121 times
Grimaldis has awesome pizza.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,717,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshoota View Post
Star Pizza in Houston is yummy.
DaMarco Italian in Houston got a 29 out of 30 from the folks at Zagat.
Zagat, USA TODAY Road Warriors pick top Italian restaurants - ABC News

When I lived in Dallas, I ate at Patrizio in Highland Village at least once a week. Their Chicken and Mushroom Lasagna is a little piece of heaven.
Oh I miss Star Pizza. We need to make a trip to Houston and not tell our family we're there so we can go eat at all our favorite places like Star Pizza.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:03 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,010,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Where is that? Never heard of it.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:35 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,757,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Where is that? Never heard of it.
Texas - Grimaldi's Pizzeria

Grimaldi's Pizzeria - official site

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-17-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-18-2012, 11:32 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,574,001 times
Eddie's Napoli's restaurant in Garland is hard to beat for Italian. Not fancy, but their Chicken Carcioffi is to die for. Next best to me is Maggiano's in Northpark (Dallas). For pizza, I've never had any better than Zanata in downtown Rockwall.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:21 PM

18 posts, read 50,020 times
Maybe if you like American type pizza. I found their pizza to be dripping with oil, cheese and salt. If you want good Italian pizza, go to an Italian restaurant, not a pizza place.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-19-2012, 12:23 PM

18 posts, read 50,020 times
I was referring to Grimaldis

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-20-2012, 08:16 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,421,392 times
We loved the pizza at Dough in Preston Forest, but be warned it is expensive! My all time favorite would have to be Marco's in Preston Royal. I've been eating that since I was a kid. IFrattelli on Greenville makes a good pizza.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:51 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,754,388 times
There was never much Italian emigration to Texas and there are no substantial Italian or Italian-American communities in the state. Consequently Italian food is mostly ersatz, clueless and inauthentic. Looking for great Italian food in Texas is like looking for great Mexican food in the northeast: 90% of it is awful, and the good stuff tends to be more expensive. The overwhelming majority of Italian restaurants don't make their pasta from scratch, make sauces like Alfredo which Italians have not eaten in 50 years, if ever, put corn starch in their pizza to cheat on the crunch, hardly ever make pizza in a wood-fired oven, cook out of season vegetables, have no sense of terroir or locality, don't smoke their own meats or bake their own bread, and generally do the things that make my Italian mother contemptuous or enraged.

As a principle, one should not eat Italian food in the U.S., south of Kansas City, except for Los Angeles and San Francisco which have some great Italian restaurants and New Orleans which has a few. There is nothing like the fantastic Italian food culture in Texas cities like what you can find in New York, Boston, Philly, small town New Jersey and Chicago.

That said after extensive and depressing sampling, I have found one very good Italian restaurant - DaMarco's in Houston - and one excellent Italian restaurant - Il Sogno in San Antonio.

I don't recognize all the recommendations above, but with the exception of Damarco's, all the ones I have eaten at were nothing short of appalling. There have never been enough Italians in Texas to teach Texans what good Italian food is, so most Texans happily consume the bad stuff. Great Tex-Mex or Mexican food or BBQ in Texas would produce a much much longer list. You would be mad to come here looking for Italian food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas