Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bean and Pea Poll (What do you call them?)
Large beans white and speckled with red are called "Pinto Beans" 16 50.00%
Large beans white and speckled with red are called "Red Beans" 3 9.38%
Round green peas are called "peas" 17 53.13%
Round green peas are called "English peas" 5 15.63%
I don't care what they are called so long as I can eat them 5 15.63%
I don't like them anyway 1 3.13%
This whole poll is silly and pass the beans and peas 8 25.00%
This whole poll is silly and don't pass them to me at all 3 9.38%
Other (please explain) 2 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:58 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,795,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
Most of my trips have been to the Cancun area including Cozumel and southward almost to Belize. Once to Acapulco and once to Mexico City. I just never remember seeing any black beans being served anywhere. But some great tamales served in banana leaves in Playa del Carmen. All meals seemed to come pretty much with refried beans including breakfast.
Acapulco, I'm not surprised, as they cater to American tourists, but Mexico City? And yes, they have beans of some type almost every meal. A very common breakfast in the north (and probably my favorite) is huevos rancheros with a side of refried pinto beans! I never did see refried black beans, though.

I'm just glad that black beans are as easy to get here in the states as pintos are.

I bet the banana leaf tamales were interesting........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 11:45 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,603,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
LOL!! Some would argue that it's acceptable to put them in AFTER the chili cooks, even in Texas!
If I make Chili that's exactly what he does. Sometimes he'll only add them to what he's eating, but usually he'll just wait until I've eaten my share and then add them to the leftovers.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 PM

10,238 posts, read 19,523,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I'll concede to them pizza, hot dogs and Manhattan clam chowder.
LOL I'll concede the term "grinders" to the yankees too. That is, for what we call "Po boys" (mostly of Gulf South use) or "Subs" (pretty much nationwide nowadays...).

I know I have told this story before...but gotta do it once again for those new Texans amonst us. That is, the time I made a total fool of myself over misunderstanding of regional idiom...

Here it is (copied and pasted and edited from one of years gone by...):

I used to date a girl from Massachusetts. She was visiting down here with mutual friends from the internet and we were set up for a blind date. We hit it off pretty well and etc, etc. Anyway, one evening we were alone watching some movie and she turned to me and said something along the lines of "I sure would like a good GRINDER right now."

Woohoo...did I think I had hit the jackpot! Must have been my Texas charm and accent that did it, I figured...and decided to take full advantage of this conclusion.

Hey, I didn't know (but found out quickly) she was referring to a "submarine sandwich", not my charm or looks...

I think I still have a scar on my cheek from that episode...*sighs*

Old 08-23-2012, 10:08 AM

67,654 posts, read 60,315,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL I'll concede the term "grinders" to the yankees too. That is, for what we call "Po boys" (mostly of Gulf South use) or "Subs" (pretty much nationwide nowadays...).

I know I have told this story before...but gotta do it once again for those new Texans amonst us. That is, the time I made a total fool of myself over misunderstanding of regional idiom...

Here it is (copied and pasted and edited from one of years gone by...):

I used to date a girl from Massachusetts. She was visiting down here with mutual friends from the internet and we were set up for a blind date. We hit it off pretty well and etc, etc. Anyway, one evening we were alone watching some movie and she turned to me and said something along the lines of "I sure would like a good GRINDER right now."

Woohoo...did I think I had hit the jackpot! Must have been my Texas charm and accent that did it, I figured...and decided to take full advantage of this conclusion.

Hey, I didn't know (but found out quickly) she was referring to a "submarine sandwich", not my charm or looks...

I think I still have a scar on my cheek from that episode...*sighs*
That's what you git fur messin' with a damn Yankee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas