Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 02:12 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,707 times

Advertisements

Always thought that the term "minority-majority" made no sense. When no one group is in the majority there isn't one. Period. Its just like here. There is no majority at the moment - not until the Hispanic population edges over 50% in 10-20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Texas is one of four majority/minority states. The four states are Texas, Hawaii, New Mexico and California.

This means that though people of European decent and NOT Hispanic (aka "white people!") may be the largest group as a whole, they are outnumbered by other ethnic groups.
Sorry, I know what you're saying, but this is not accurate for Hawai'i, where the largest ethnic group is "Asian," while the second largest is "White, non-Hispanic."

I love the fact that the most rapidly increasing ethnic group in the US Census is "Mixed."

Old 08-24-2012, 07:19 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Sorry, I know what you're saying, but this is not accurate for Hawai'i, where the largest ethnic group is "Asian," while the second largest is "White, non-Hispanic."

I love the fact that the most rapidly increasing ethnic group in the US Census is "Mixed."
Yep. That sends some people right over the edge.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 08-28-2012 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: repaired quote tags

Old 08-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,101,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Always thought that the term "minority-majority" made no sense. When no one group is in the majority there isn't one. Period. Its just like here. There is no majority at the moment - not until the Hispanic population edges over 50% in 10-20 years.
It probably makes plenty sense to folks who are a member of a group that traditionally considers itself to be in the minority.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:09 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,543 times
Quote:
If I understood her post, that part of it was only supposed to apply to Texas. I guess it could be read either way though.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:42 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Race, ethnicity, history have nothing to do with this post.

I'm talking about billboards on the highways that are in Spanish (FYI, you don't have to be dark skinned to speak Spanish)

If those billboards were in both English/Spanish.... that would completely make sense.
But I've seen several that were 100% in Spanish and I felt like it was a "bad business decision" because lots of possible customers won't know what it says.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:13 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:

Take it up with the US Census Bureau, I guess. Actually there are FIVE majority minority states now (latest info for 2012). Hawaii is definitely one.

Newsroom: Population: Most Children Younger Than Age 1 are Minorities, Census Bureau Reports

"There were five majority-minority states or equivalents in 2011: Hawaii (77.1 percent minority), the District of Columbia (64.7 percent), California (60.3 percent), New Mexico (59.8 percent) and Texas (55.2 percent). No other state had a minority population greater than 46.4 percent of the total."

As for the "mixed" ethnic group trend - like you, I love it!

Old 08-25-2012, 10:09 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Race, ethnicity, history have nothing to do with this post.

I'm talking about billboards on the highways that are in Spanish (FYI, you don't have to be dark skinned to speak Spanish)

If those billboards were in both English/Spanish.... that would completely make sense.
But I've seen several that were 100% in Spanish and I felt like it was a "bad business decision" because lots of possible customers won't know what it says.
Given how many people in this state speak only Spanish, you could say it is a bad decision for a business to have only billboards that are in English. You referred to Budweiser - they have lots of billboards in English. Having a few in Spanish would seem to be a GOOD business decision as it expands their potential market greatly.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:58 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Given how many people in this state speak only Spanish, you could say it is a bad decision for a business to have only billboards that are in English. You referred to Budweiser - they have lots of billboards in English. Having a few in Spanish would seem to be a GOOD business decision as it expands their potential market greatly.
Yeah, but he's talking about having both languages on each billboard so each one is understood by practically everyone. I'm sure there's a practical reason for not doing this but I'm not sure what it is.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:15 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I gotta admit that Budweiser was a bad example, because in that case it makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas