Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:21 PM

15,241 posts, read 35,440,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But it is damned close to crappy for the Cowboys.
Pretty much true - the Cowboys being average is considered crappy by most of their fans, fair or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 01:30 PM

67 posts, read 130,779 times
the whorns are the only professional team in town. and no salary cap to deal with.

The Aggies are in the SEC and have LSU and Arkansas to worry about now. The old rivalry with tu is just that...an old rivalry.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:03 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,791,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Uh......isn't it "crappy" by Cowboys standards not to make the playoffs? It really doesn't matter whether it was one play or not.

The Cowboys, based on heritage, and fan expections, should win more than two divisional titles in 14 years. And they have won ONE playoff game since 1997 (if I read the W-L records correctly).

That would be good for the Detroit Lions. But it is damned close to crappy for the Cowboys.
Well thank you for at least aknowledging that, finally.

Still, doesn't excuse some of the other comments about the Cowboys from Texan fans here...

Old 08-28-2012, 02:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,854,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
d there is no rivalry at all between Cowboys/Texans.
This is not true at all. There is a rivalry between the two teams and one thing can't be denied is that the Cowboys have had the upper hand in their match-ups. And every time they both play there is much competition.

The only thing is that the rivalry is not prevalent in Austin, only if you go to Houston or Dallas. And one thing I know the Cowboys are very much hated in Houston, especially telling from all my friends on facebook who live in Houston.

The funny thing is though that my brother and bro-in-law who are huge Texans fans are also Cowboys fans. But this probably rarely happens.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:59 PM

709 posts, read 1,395,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas2029 View Post
The old rivalry with tu is just that...an old rivalry.
You know Tulane isn't in the SEC anymore right?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:00 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,549,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
And one thing I know the Cowboys are very much hated in Houston, especially telling from all my friends on facebook who live in Houston.
Well if that's the case, aren't the Cowboys hated everywhere else as well? They're definitely a love them or hate them team. They still have that "America's Team" or "God's team" reputation that basically doesn't sit well with a fan of any other NFL team in the country. I don't think that it's a specific rivalry with the Texans. It's also annoying to fans of other teams as to why people just "adopted" the Cowboys as their team in the 90's even though they had no ties to Dallas or Texas. I'm sure some Aggies will make this same argument about Longhorn fans as well. I understand their frustration in that regard.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:14 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
This is not true at all. There is a rivalry between the two teams and one thing can't be denied is that the Cowboys have had the upper hand in their match-ups. And every time they both play there is much competition.

The only thing is that the rivalry is not prevalent in Austin, only if you go to Houston or Dallas. And one thing I know the Cowboys are very much hated in Houston, especially telling from all my friends on facebook who live in Houston.

The funny thing is though that my brother and bro-in-law who are huge Texans fans are also Cowboys fans. But this probably rarely happens.
No... there isn't. There is NO rivalry between the Cowboys and Texans.

I can assure you, that same hatred you're talking about in Houston for the Cowboys is virtually non-existant here in DFW for the Texans. In fact, I don't know one single Cowboy fan here who even thinks about the Texans, let alone hates them. Three games in the span of 10 years (against a team that's only been around 10 years) does NOT make a rivalry. Rivalries are built through several years and decades of hard fought games and big moments. They're not made up just because a certain fanbase doesn't like the other team. TCU/Boise State is more of a rivalry than Cowboys/Texans and even that, you could barely call a rivalry. The Giants, the Eagles, the Redskins, the Steelers, the 49ers, the Packers, the Cardinals.... THOSE are our rivals. Not the Texans.

God, we've been over this a million times with just Metro Matt alone....

Old 08-28-2012, 03:27 PM

725 posts, read 1,234,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No... there isn't. There is NO rivalry between the Cowboys and Texans.

I can assure you, that same hatred you're talking about in Houston for the Cowboys is virtually non-existant here in DFW for the Texans. In fact, I don't know one single Cowboy fan here who even thinks about the Texans, let alone hates them. Three games in the span of 10 years (against a team that's only been around 10 years) does NOT make a rivalry. Rivalries are built through several years and decades of hard fought games and big moments. They're not made up just because a certain fanbase doesn't like the other team. TCU/Boise State is more of a rivalry than Cowboys/Texans and even that, you could barely call a rivalry. The Giants, the Eagles, the Redskins, the Steelers, the 49ers, the Packers, the Cardinals.... THOSE are our rivals. Not the Texans.

God, we've been over this a million times with just Metro Matt alone....
I wouldn't call it a rivalry on the terms of the Cowboys-Eagles, Cowboys-Skins, etc. but I don't think it can be denied that there's a little extra juice when the Cowboys and the Texans play, especially from the Texans side. It's more about state bragging rights.

It's kind of like how there's no real rivalry between the Eagles and Steelers, but when they play it's amped up for the same reason. I know Texans fans get wayyyy up for Cowboys games, but I'm pretty sure the Cowboys don't treat playing the Texans like they would treat playing the Rams, for example.

I don't think either team takes too kindly to getting beaten by the other, no matter what DFW-area Dallas fans say. I'm pretty sure they didn't like the 02 expansion-team loss and we sure didn't like the 06 and 2010 losses.

Not a rivalry, but not a regular game when these two play either.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:39 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,874,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
I wouldn't call it a rivalry on the terms of the Cowboys-Eagles, Cowboys-Skins, etc. but I don't think it can be denied that there's a little extra juice when the Cowboys and the Texans play, especially from the Texans side. It's more about state bragging rights.

It's kind of like how there's no real rivalry between the Eagles and Steelers, but when they play it's amped up for the same reason. I know Texans fans get wayyyy up for Cowboys games, but I'm pretty sure the Cowboys don't treat playing the Texans like they would treat playing the Rams, for example.

I don't think either team takes too kindly to getting beaten by the other, no matter what DFW-area Dallas fans say. I'm pretty sure they didn't like the 02 expansion-team loss and we sure didn't like the 06 and 2010 losses.

They definitely don't. When they play each other, DFW sports riders always put out articles about Houston and the "inferiority complex" and in the past their radio hosts would make fun of the Texans. The number of Texans fans in Tue state has definitely grown. They can either take a huge step back (not making the playoffs or one and done), or make huge inroads (conference championship or better) this season.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM
JJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
BINGO! Key words: especially from the Texans side. And no offense to Texan fans, but most of us don't even think "state bragging rights" either.

Quote:

Here's the difference... both the Eagles and Steelers have been around since 1933.

The Cowboys have been around for more than 50 years, meanwhile, the Texans are just now in their first full decade of existance. Now if this was the OILERS, then yes, you could make that claim. But until there are more BIG TIME moments between the two or if the Texans get multiple rings, they're not rivals or anything close to it. Instead, they are just two teams that just so happen to play in the same state. When it equally means as much to each fanbase when the two teams play each other, then you could say it's more than just a regular season game.

By the way, the '02 expansion team loss would be a bigger deal if it wasn't in one of the horrid 5-11 Dave Campo era seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas