U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 2,630 times

Advertisements

I have a question about the sequence of the process of buying a car.

I am moving from Canada and will be buying a car before I receive my SSN.
What is the process to buy a car in this case?

From what I read you need to:

1. Purchase car
2. Inspection/insure car
3. Register car
4. Obtain Texas license

My question is, would I be able to do this without a SSN? I don't want to have to rent a car while waiting for a social, so I would like to get a car right away while I even look for a place to live.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 AM

399 posts, read 657,101 times
If my memory serves me correct you don't need a social for purchasing a car. But yeah, you purchase the car, if it is new, don't need inspection cause they put the inspection on it. If it is a used car, yeah, you will need inspection, in TX. You have to register it then put plates on it same time.

But I've bought several new cars and don't remember giving my social. JMO. Maybe someone else will have a clearer answer. I too am from CDA. Best to you in your endeavors here in TX.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:16 PM

6,848 posts, read 10,916,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatel1984 View Post
I have a question about the sequence of the process of buying a car.

I am moving from Canada and will be buying a car before I receive my SSN.
What is the process to buy a car in this case?

From what I read you need to:

1. Purchase car
2. Inspection/insure car
3. Register car
4. Obtain Texas license

My question is, would I be able to do this without a SSN? I don't want to have to rent a car while waiting for a social, so I would like to get a car right away while I even look for a place to live.

Thanks!

See: Apply to be a Texan Booklet

The steps will have to go in this order:

1. Purchase car - Y
ou will need to have your insurance in place before you drive it off the lot. You need to arrange this with an insurance company beforehand, so that all you have to do at the time of purchase is call them to put the purchased auto on your insurance plan.

2. If it is a new car bought in Texas, it will come with an Texas inspection sticker good for two years. If it is used, it should have a Texas inspection sticker on it already if bought in Texas - this inspection sticker is good for the length of time left on the sticker, so depending on when it expires is when the car would need a new inspection, i.e., you do not have to replace this already existing inspection sticker until it expires.

3. Register car - See:
County Tax Offices

4. Texas Driver's license - See: TxDPS - Apply for Driver License - note the info for TxDPS - Social Security Number -- where "Individuals who have applied for and been denied or who have never applied for, been issued or assigned a SSN may complete a Social Security Affidavit." Also note the steps listed under "Currently Licensed in Another State or Country" - if you have a valid license already in place from Canada, the written and driving examinations will be waived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas