Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:41 AM

206 posts, read 570,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The only thing that sucks about an 85mph speed limit is the people that will STILL get on the highway and do 55.

If the speed limit is 85mph, they should atleast set a minnimum of 70 or 75 to get on the highway, and they should enforce it.
This!

There are highways throughout the country with posted minimums.

I was stopped many years ago on a NY highway for going too slow but that was due to a engine malfunction and I didn't get a ticket.

Highway traffic runs smoothly when everyone is within the same speed range.

Slower drivers cause impatience and we all know the consequences of that in America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 07:19 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Don't know if I want to go 85. My death is ensured at those speeds. I'll stay on 35 for now...
Be my guest. Your death is still ensured by staying on 35, it'll just be slow and painful via hypertension, a stroke, or stress-related complications rather than messy but instantaneous on 130 via a tire blowout or the like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Can you say gimmick designed to lure people into overpaying for the privilege of driving 85mph? Just another way for the state to fleece you without having to use the word "tax" to describe it.
Who cares? Whatever it takes to get more people off of 35. Unless it's your next-best option after commuting on that stretch of 35, then hush. You don't know what it's like

Old 09-07-2012, 07:35 AM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnLion512 View Post
Who cares? Whatever it takes to get more people off of 35. Unless it's your next-best option after commuting on that stretch of 35, then hush. You don't know what it's like
Ignorance is bliss right? Just wait until paying the bondholders of the for-profit tollways takes precedence over those nasty freeways. The state will let the freeways fall into disrepair to force even more people onto the tollways.

Tollways are a scam, and eventually the grift in Texas is going to get so bloated that it'll be too big to fail. Should the economy melt down and the financial house of cards collapse on itself, Goodhair and the rest of his anti-bailout, anti-Washington cronies are gonna force everyone in TX to eat a big ol' crap sandwich while they use your money to bail the tollway operators out.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Hope these people got good tires.

Old 09-07-2012, 10:41 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Ignorance is bliss right? Just wait until paying the bondholders of the for-profit tollways takes precedence over those nasty freeways. The state will let the freeways fall into disrepair to force even more people onto the tollways.

Tollways are a scam, and eventually the grift in Texas is going to get so bloated that it'll be too big to fail. Should the economy melt down and the financial house of cards collapse on itself, Goodhair and the rest of his anti-bailout, anti-Washington cronies are gonna force everyone in TX to eat a big ol' crap sandwich while they use your money to bail the tollway operators out.
We're already over that hump. It happened at the tail end of Bush's term & then under Obama's watch. He bailed out a failing car company that still to this day is not doing as well as its Japanese/American made, & Korean/American made counter parts. The Volt was complete flop & Obama endorsed those things like crazy. Electric cars are a failure, just like him.

I would NEVER own a Government Motors vehicle. You couldn't pay me to drive one.

I'll stick to my Built By Texans Tundra.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggjfg View Post
This!

There are highways throughout the country with posted minimums.

I was stopped many years ago on a NY highway for going too slow but that was due to a engine malfunction and I didn't get a ticket.

Highway traffic runs smoothly when everyone is within the same speed range.

Slower drivers cause impatience and we all know the consequences of that in America!
Actually, they don't. If I'm impatient because someone in front of me is going slower than I would prefer, that impatience is caused by my problem, not theirs.

How I deal with that impatience is also my responsibility.

Don't be trying to foist responsibility for your own character flaws off on someone else.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:21 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
What a lovely choice. Take I-35 for free or pay to take 130 and take a route with less traffic and higher speeds. Aren't choices wonderful? I wish more toll roads allowed higher speeds since one is paying extra to use that road. I also think they should reduce or eliminate tolls when there is construction on the toll road greatly increasing travel time.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
What a lovely choice. Take I-35 for free or pay to take 130 and take a route with less traffic and higher speeds. Aren't choices wonderful? I wish more toll roads allowed higher speeds since one is paying extra to use that road. I also think they should reduce or eliminate tolls when there is construction on the toll road greatly increasing travel time.
Shouldn't affect you one bit living in Illinois now should it?

Old 09-07-2012, 03:32 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,310,589 times
Its already 80 on I-49 from Alexandria to south of Shreveport.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Its already 80 on I-49 from Alexandria to south of Shreveport.
Cool, but 80 still isn't 85.

All of Texas' Freeways are now 75 both day & night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas